Register

Mac OS X 10.6.3 Update - The Official Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
ne0shell said:
Crucial said:
Tony,
Big thank you.
Sleep now works correctly with no USB problems.

Extras / Extensions is down to:
fakesmc.kext
JMicronATA.kext
LegacyHDA_ALC888B.kext

Geekbench is up to 8575 (up by over 900 points).

The one step backwards is that my boot drive is now orange, but that is not a big deal.

Is your on board audio working? The codec on that mobo should be 888, not 888b.

No, motherboard audio is not working, (worked with 10.6.0) but I am using an old $5 USB audio adaptor so it is not an issue. I guess I could remove that LegacyHDA_ALC888B.kext since it is doing nothing.

Hello Gentlemen,
I have a problem after updating to 10.6.3 my sound does not work. So far I used voodooHDA but unfortunately this version does not work. Please help.

Just updated to 10.6.3 :)
Sound's gone, no other problems.
By using Bansaku's patched hda, sound is back, seems eliminated the popping, too.
I used Tony's bootcd method to get to 10.6.2 & DSDT from Macdanger.
Bios of my UD4 is F7.

adamsmasher said:
You won't be able to run the 10.6.3 kernel without installing the rest of the 10.6.3 update. :p That said, I would venture to say that it won't probably support the atom anyway. A patched version isn't probably too far off, though.

Well... actually it works :D with the kernel from http://nawcom.com/osx86/files/10.6/Kernels/10.3.0/
So the kernel above - 10.3.0 works with Core i3-530 on Gigabyte H55M-UD2H on 10.6.2. I will make the upgrade to 10.6.3 this weekend so we'll all know a fact :)

My question is... does somebody know if a modified 64bit kernel exists? Because the Atom kernel was 64bit but this one isn't.

Attachments

• proof.png
    proof.png
    120.1 KB · Views: 258
Hi guys, I'm seeking some help here, I'm going throgh hackintosh hell and haven't been able to figure out a way to fix my problem yet. I made the gigantic mistake of not backing up my suff, and tho everything is neatly distributed in ártition I have no way of accessing them, I started posting this on the blog and I hope to find a solution with your help, this is what I've written so far and what I've done:

1st post: I'm running a GA-ud3r, 4 gig ramsticks of crucial ram, 750 gig maxtor hdd, intel i5. Installed mac osx SN with your boot disc (chameleon 2.0 graphic boot)updated to 10.6.2 over 5 months ago, and updated to 10.6.3 3 days ago, got everything working just fine. All my usb ports died, I can´t get any periphereals to work, they don't even send power, not even at start-up before the bootloader loads (mouse leds don't light up that's how I know). I get this on the verbose log:
USBF: (some number that keeps increasing) AppleUSBCHI: controller reset failed
USBF: (ditto) AppleUSNCHI: (a memory adress that keeps changing as the other number increases)::UIMCheckForTimeouts - Host Controller Halted, Reseting

This keeps going for the longest time until the Operating system eventually loads. But I have no mouse nor keyboard to see if I can do anything. My Ps/2 keyboard and mouse don't work within the OS enviroment. Tried running the install disc and same thing happens. Tried resetting pram and nvram (control + windows button + p + r upon hard restart), but since I had never done it before I don't know if my attempt succeded, but nothing changes. I´m extremely scared as all my work is in the one disc, and I'm a graphic designer...
Please please help...
Thanks in advance

2nd post:update: after several hard boots, and trying the iBoot + retail dvd boot the problem persists. Now I can't even get to the splash screen nor the desktop screen (not even with iboot and the retail dvd, couldn't try to install the fixes I downloaded from here) Can't fresh install either, my tony mac boot cd used to do the first installation gets the same results. I'm officially desperate... Any help will be greatle appreciated...

1st reply:Anonymous said...

@peewe666
hi! keep cool bro! first of all save your data! You may wish to do a fresh 10.6.2 install on ANOTHER disk and then copy your invaluable work to it. Make sure the current -none booting- drive is detached when installing to the new one. Before booting into Tony´s CD make sure your BIOS settings are ok. Please reload optimized defaults and check HIPET and AHCI.

3rd post:I don't have another drive, the only two spares I got are an old 250 gig ide and an external 1 tera usb. I checked the Bios settings and they're all ok. funny thing is if I set failsafe defaults in the BIOS the usb ports do get power (stick and mouse leds do light up upon boot up) but I can't acces them after the board posts (can't boot from usb), as soon as I get passed the post it doesn't respond anymore (in a way it's a relief cuz I reckon the USB ports aren't damaged, right?).The support at gigabyte asked me to remove the MB's battery to reset the CMOS, due to a possible IRQ link deactivation of the USB ports by the BIOS?... (why I ask if my board can do that just by shorting the CMOS? I did both however to no avail) The only two things I've done recently were the 10.6.3 update and updating to the f6 bios. And everything was working fine, till all of a sudden this happened...

2nd reply:mad:peewe666
If the USB ports stop working after the BIOS POST it is obvious that either the controllers are inaccsessible or there´s a problem with the power supply, i.e. as soon as they start to draw power the supply collapses. Are your sure the PS is okay? Is there a short circuit somewhere in the USB path (defective cable?). Check what happens to the USB ports when all internal & external drives & Card readers are disconnected. If after that you´re still unable to boot from a USB Stick or external USB drive the problem will be on the hardware side. Still possible something went wrong with your BIOS update...

4th post:I tried unplugging everything else and no changes. The PS seems ok though, because doing the opposite, plugging everything back, plus a couple of spare dvd burners, an ide hdd, and the flopy drive worked well. The usb path, as far as I can see is ok, no obvios burns or smell.

I've been trying to boot from a cd, but I haven't yet found a method that allows me to access the bios flash drives I burn onto the boot cd. I mean the files just don't show anywhere...

Do you think booting a live linux distro could allow me to somehow save my hdd files into de ide disk, at least part of it? I can't imagine how I'd get around the distros gui without a mouse or keyboard tho. I only have a keyboard that works(for the only ps2 port available in my pc) so today I'll be getting a ps2 mouse, and my guess is I'll have to plug and unplug the periphereals to use either one when needed... Talking about computing nightmares....

Thanking all of you in advance...
peewe666

Hey Peewee- we'll get ya sorted. So here's what I'd do-

Option 1:
Burn the latest (latest) copy of iBoot:

Public/tonymacx86-iBoot.iso.zip

This has USB support- even in 10.6.3. There's a special file on it that disables that troublesome IOUSBFamily.kext from 10.6.3. So you can use this to boot, then select your trouble drive. Unless it's totally screwed, you can probably get to the desktop.

Option 2:
Boot with -x. When you boot using the iBoot, and select your drive, type -x. It will show up below. This will enter safe mode, where you can save your install.

Option 3:
Boot with -s. When you boot using the iBoot, and select your drive, type -s. It will show up below. This will enter single user mode. ItYou can then type fsck.-fy and enter. It will do a full filesystem check, then get to a command prompt again. Type exit. Then you can get to the desktop (hopefully).

Option 4:
Buy a USB to SATA converter and a new SATA drive- here's an example:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812156014&cm_re=usb_to_sata-_-12-156-014-_-Product
Go to your local university's mac lab or friend's mac, or library armed with your drives and this apparatus. Go forth- and duplicate everything.

Good luck! Hope I understood your post and this will help.

Based on this info from Prasys blog it looks like there's no way to update to 10.6.3 on our P55 mobos and still keep a mostly "vanilla" system thanks to apple removing drivers for quite a bit of our hardware:
10.6.3 update problems:
  • AppleHDA Issue (Only applicable if you’re using native Apple Audio Driver ) – Apple has removed support for a variety of ALC codecs such as ALC888. So if you’ve been using native audio driver. You’ll have to use drivers from 10.6.2 or earlier. Alternatively you may want to try VodoooHDA. VodoooHDA users are unaffected by this. So if you’re using VoodooHDA , you don’t have to worry about this[/*:m:2bivaicv]
  • Intel GMA Issue – Apple has also removed 64-bit drivers for Intel Graphics. If you were on x86_64 OSX86. You might have to revert back to 32-bit version or use your old 10.6.2 kexts[/*:m:2bivaicv]
  • Sleep/Wake Issues - Some users have also reported that when OSX wakes they lose sound , usb and couple of other things. The exact cause for this is still unknown , however I’ll update it once I manage to trace it[/*:m:2bivaicv]
  • Fix USB Issues – For some motherboard (especially if you’re using an AMD Chipset or the newer boards with USB 3.0) this update breaks USB 2.0 support. The only way to fix it by using an older version of IOUSBFamily.kext (which is from 10.6.2 or 10.6.1)[/*:m:2bivaicv]
  • Graphics Performance Issues - It seems that a lot of folks do complain the graphics performance has significantly dropped from 10.6.3 to 10.6.2. You may want to use older drivers , however its not recommended. This applies to both nvidia and ati graphics card[/*:m:2bivaicv]

No matter what we're going to end up downgrading kexts apparently. I'm still holding off on the update, personally.

Tony thanks a bunch for the reply, I'm pulling my hair with this one. Unfortunately booting with the iboot did nothing, the problem persists.
I keep getting:

USBF: (some number that keeps increasing) AppleUSBCHI: controller reset failed
USBF: (ditto) AppleUSNCHI: (a memory adress that keeps changing as the other number increases)::UIMCheckForTimeouts - Host Controller Halted, Reseting

ad infinitum, regardless of the option I choose at boot up in iBoot. My guess is it'd eventually lead to the desktop, but no usb ports still so, no luck with that.

Just to be clear, I don't really think there's anything wrong with my hdd. In fact if I nullify the usb ports completely from the BIOs
the system boots fast, and gets to the desktop, tho without keyboard nor mouse there's not much I can do.

I'm thinking this might be a two headed monster. I believe there might be a correlation between the gigabyte f6 BIOS update, plus the
10.6.3 update. And I'd love to rollback my BIOS to see if that solves the problem, or at least gets me half way. Thing is I haven't been
able to produce a boot cd that allows me to acces the files I burn into it (the BIOS flash files), I've followed many, many online guides
to no avail. I don't know if this is confusing, but what I mean is, once I do boot from the disc, the only drives I can access are usually a:
and b: the first being the cd drive and the second an old floppy drive I rescued from a super old build. But within a: all I can see or access
are the sys files and/or tools that come with the floppy disc's image. I've tried everything, from copying the filles in all available
folders by themselves, and inside a folder I named bios beforehand, but to no avail. In some of the guides it says I should be able to access
the files (some of them indicate a special folder where to put the file/s or programs you need) by entering k: or z: but the results are all
the same, I've tried all letters of the alphabet, and none appears as a valid drive... I've also tried to trick the system by ejecting the cd,
replacing it with another one with the files in it and doing a dir search... But it either creates an error from which I have to hard boot
or simply shows me the same stuff as before (I guess because all that's already loaded in the ram).

So any guidance on how to get a boot cd to do what I need it to, would be super appreciated too. Or if you know a way of making a cd that Qflash can recognize
that be super helpful too.

I don't have access to another machine except this one laptop I'm writting this from, at least for the time beeing, and I can't make a floopy boot disk nor edit it's contents for
I can only hook it up to the problem machine.Ironically enough I did the BIOS update by usb, so no luck there either.

Thanks for your priceless help...

peewe

Rather surprised that Gigabyte users are experiencing such problems with 10.6.3

I am running on an MSI GD80 and it upgraded fine. I am using only two kexts faksmc and LegacyHDA.

The only issue I had was with the sound, however friend kizwan on insanely mac offered me a straight forward way of changing an identifier in AppleHDA.kext using a Hex free hex editor called Hex Fiend.
Your existing LegacyHDA should work ok, but f you use a newer one you can copy the plist file from your original to maintain the accuracy of the pin outs.
(NB I originally had issues with the permissions and could not modify, which kizwan is addressing in his message.

Here is kizwan's message, to whom I am very grateful.

The file ownership is preventing you from saving the modified file. Please do like this (use Terminal application):-
1) sudo -s
- press Enter & enter your password & press Enter
2) mv /System/Library/Extensions/AppleHDA.kext ~/Desktop/
- Move AppleHDA.kext file to Desktop. press Enter.
3) cd ~/Desktop
- press Enter
4) chown -R tony:staff AppleHDA.kext
- change tony with your computer account name. Press Enter. Don't close Terminal application yet.
- Use your favorite hex editor to edit "AppleHDA" file (in AppleHDA.kext/Contents/MacOs/ folder). Change all 8508ec10 with your audio device ID. E.g. if ALC889 change to 8908ec10 (change all). Save. Return to Terminal application.
5) chown -R root:wheel AppleHDA.kext
- press Enter.
6) mv AppleHDA.kext /System/Library/Extensions/
- press Enter.
- reboot.

When you move the kext file to another directory, kext cache file will rebuild automatically. The same thing happen when you add kext file to /System/Library/Extensions/ folder.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back