Contribute
Register

Mac OS X 10.6.3 Update - The Official Thread

Mac
Classic Mac
Mobile Phone
I'm having all kinds of issues with this latest update (10.6.3). Any and all advice is much appreciated.

GA-P55A-UD3 F6
ASUS 9600 GSO 512MB
4GB G.Skill 1600
M-Audio Audiophile 2496 sound card

Fresh install with boot DVD and Multibeast. Used Chameleon 2.0 RC4 AsereBLN 1.1.9, DSDT for this board from Tony, 64-bit plist, iMac 11,1 smbios and tonymacx86 theme. Kexts: (NVEnabler64, FakeSMC, JMicronATA, RealtekR1000SL. Not selecting any audio because I use the M-Audio card and drivers are available for that through Envy24osx86, didabled also through BIOS).
I combo update to 10.6.3 and this where everything goes wrong. No USB, Orange Icons, and NO graphics! (Been using 10.6.1 kexts for the graphics but they won't work now for some reason). Also, I have to boot in Safe-Mode or my system will just keep re-bootong itself.
After applying the fixes the icons did change back and the USB worked for a little while before locking up and freezing the system (3 times).

So that's where I'm at. Please give this guy some advice please. Also, will this 9600 GSO ever be able to play nice with this system or do I need a new card? If a new card is needed can I get some suggestions from you all?

Also, I'm pretty sure I have the BIOS on this GA-P55A-UD3 configured correctly but will people with working systems include BIOS setups as well just so I have something to reference?

Thanks again people, all advice will be helpful.

Mac
Classic Mac
Mobile Phone
These are my specs once again

Core i5 750
GA-P55A-UD3 (F6)
4GB G.Skill 1600
ASUS 9600 GSO 512MB

Motherboard
Gigabyte Sabertooth x79
CPU
Xeon 8-core Sandybridge EP
Graphics
GeForce GTX 670
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
macshank said:
:) Hi Tony

Today I updated my iMac ;) to 10.6.3
Also I installed Chameleon RC4-AsereBLN-1.1.9

Everything works fine now
I have no issues at all

Mine's a vanilla system :lol:

I chose these components to assemble a PC so that it matches latest iMac 27"

Intel DP55WG MainBoard/ Intel Core i5-750 Processor
2 x2 GB DDR3 RAM @ 1333/ 2x 500GB SATA HDD/ 24X Optiarc DVD Writer
512 MB XFX nVidia 9800GT card/ 22" Dell S2209W Display

Damn, I knew I should have gone with the Intel board. ><

Motherboard
Gigabyte P55A-UD3
CPU
Core i5 750
Graphics
GeForce 8600 GT
Mac
  1. MacBook
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Xserve
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Crucial said:
Tony,
Big thank you.
Sleep now works correctly with no USB problems.

Extras / Extensions is down to:
fakesmc.kext
JMicronATA.kext
LegacyHDA_ALC888B.kext

Geekbench is up to 8575 (up by over 900 points).

The one step backwards is that my boot drive is now orange, but that is not a big deal.

Is your on board audio working? The codec on that mobo should be 888, not 888b.

Motherboard
Asus UL30vt
CPU
Intel Core 2 Duo SU7300
Graphics
g210M
Mac
Classic Mac
Mobile Phone
The orange drive icon puzzles me too, but I think a combination of things causes that. I did a fresh install of 10.6 on Sunday, and the drive icon was normal. I went to 10.6.3 and then ran multibeast/easybeast with some settings, and the drive icon was still normal. It wasn't until I removed some items from E/E that the drive icon turned orange. I removed all the items in E/E that weren't mentioned in the blog post, http://tonymacx86.blogspot.com/2009/12/ ... n-p55.html.

I have the same UD2 board, and I couldn't get sleep to work even before installing 10.6.3. However, last night I tried the newer SleepEnabler.kext, and that was the ticket. My computer now goes to sleep in less than a second and comes back when I hit the power button.

In the past weeks, I couldn't get sound to work either, so I found my USB MobilePre, and installed 10.5.x drivers, and now I have sound! I'll probably get a $12 USB sound adapter instead of using this much more expensive and bulky audio recording box, but at least I know that I can get sound to work.

So, now I think I'm running at 100% on 10.6.3. Specs of my system are in my sig

Motherboard
Gigabyte Sabertooth x79
CPU
Graphics
GeForce GTX 670
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Ironically (and sadly) OSX 10.6.3 sleeps instantly (albeit with some USB/Wake issues), whereas Windows 7 doesn't on the exact same hardware.

Baffling. /shrug

Motherboard
Gigabyte P55A-UD3
CPU
Core i5 750
Graphics
GeForce 8600 GT
Mac
  1. MacBook
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Xserve
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
yoyoman said:
The orange drive icon puzzles me too, but I think a combination of things causes that. I did a fresh install of 10.6 on Sunday, and the drive icon was normal. I went to 10.6.3 and then ran multibeast/easybeast with some settings, and the drive icon was still normal. It wasn't until I removed some items from E/E that the drive icon turned orange. I removed all the items in E/E that weren't mentioned in the blog post, http://tonymacx86.blogspot.com/2009/12/ ... n-p55.html.

I have the same UD2 board, and I couldn't get sleep to work even before installing 10.6.3. However, last night I tried the newer SleepEnabler.kext, and that was the ticket. My computer now goes to sleep in less than a second and comes back when I hit the power button.

In the past weeks, I couldn't get sound to work either, so I found my USB MobilePre, and installed 10.5.x drivers, and now I have sound! I'll probably get a $12 USB sound adapter instead of using this much more expensive and bulky audio recording box, but at least I know that I can get sound to work.

So, now I think I'm running at 100% on 10.6.3. Specs of my system are in my sig

The orange drive icon is just the OS recognizing that your SATA ports are hot swappable.
It's technically correct but you can use candybar or several other tricks to change it if it bothers you.

Motherboard
Gigabyte Sabertooth x79
CPU
Graphics
GeForce GTX 670
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
maxawesome said:
macshank said:
:) Hi Tony

Today I updated my iMac ;) to 10.6.3
Also I installed Chameleon RC4-AsereBLN-1.1.9

Everything works fine now
I have no issues at all

Mine's a vanilla system :lol:

I chose these components to assemble a PC so that it matches latest iMac 27"

Intel DP55WG MainBoard/ Intel Core i5-750 Processor
2 x2 GB DDR3 RAM @ 1333/ 2x 500GB SATA HDD/ 24X Optiarc DVD Writer
512 MB XFX nVidia 9800GT card/ 22" Dell S2209W Display

Damn, I knew I should have gone with the Intel board. ><

For Hack Pro, that is. I am in love with Gigabyte's Energy Saving app that comes on the drivers disk. Cut my power consumption to 1/3 using that (when running Win7, that is). Pretty sweet.

Motherboard
Gigabyte P44M-UD4
CPU
i7 860
Graphics
Mac
Classic Mac
Mobile Phone
Hello,

Would some of the folks who have the UD4P working with an nvidia card post what they needed in multibeast etc to get their 10.6.3 working?

I would be appreciative.

Thank You.