Contribute
Register

Mac OS X 10.6.3 Update - The Official Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
MTGhost said:
I also updated to 10.6.3. From looking at the spreadsheet no one has a setup like mine. I still haven't found a fix for the F8 BIOS and the F8 DSDT not working. I tried the F8 DSDT after the 10.6.3 update and I still get a kernel panic. If I keep the F7 DSDT everything works OK.

After the 10.6.3 update my sound (889a) and USB devices work fine when I initially boot my computer. If I shutdown my computer before it goes into sleep mode it will shutdown properly. I have a wired mouse and keyboard.

The problems arise after my computer goes into sleep mode. When I bring it out of sleep mode my keyboard doesn't work. The mouse works fine. Also, my computer will not go back into sleep mode. It shuts down as if it is going into sleep mode and then comes right back on. When I shut down my computer at this point it goes into a mode where it isn't off and I can't get it to come back on with either a mouse or keystroke. I have to hold the power until is completely shuts down. I unchecked the Allow power button to put computer to sleep and that didn't make any difference.

The F7 DSDT works for me (out of Multibeast). The F8 (installed by drag and drop) causes kernel panic. Not sure if it is a permissions issue on my part (that multibeast takes care of) or a problem with the F8 DSDT. Let me know what I can do to test...

Thank You...

peewe666 said:
Tony thanks a bunch for the reply, I'm pulling my hair with this one. Unfortunately booting with the iboot did nothing, the problem persists.

peewe

Did you save a backup of your old bios? My mobo has the option to save backup images in CMOS.

You should still be able to perform a bios update via USB key, the USB ports should still be working during the post process, it's only once the darwin load begins that the USB drivers would start creating problems.

Did you save a backup of your old bios? My mobo has the option to save backup images in CMOS.

You should still be able to perform a bios update via USB key, the USB ports should still be working during the post process, it's only once the darwin load begins that the USB drivers would start creating problems.

I didn't save a backup of the old f3 BIOS unfortunately. I do have access to the other bios thou, through my laptop, but the messed up bios flash (I'm now almost certain that's the problem) forbids me from using the usb ports at any time... even at start up (I know because I've tried to boot from a usb stick too) the usb ports are recognized, and they do receive power if only for a couple of seconds upon powering up.

I had to take my old dell out from the storage room, got it together and installed ubuntu karmic, it didn't recognize my floppy, so whipped it out and installed win xp sp1, which does recognize my floppy, but apparently, after 6 years of storage the unit is dead...
Just my luck...

Thanks

Hello,

I've installed 10.6.3 on Corei3 + H55. My method was to install everything (updates, apps) on my macbook, and then clone the partition, install pcefi 10.6, modified kernel and the rest (/Extra folder, DSDT) from the old installation.

All good except that now if I reboot my USBs are blocked (not responding), so I have to hard reset. Any of you had this issue? I have the USBs in DSDT (they are recognized as BuiltIn), I have also tried with 10.6.2 USB kexts, still same thing.

Thanks.

peewe666 said:

I didn't save a backup of the old f3 BIOS unfortunately. I do have access to the other bios thou, through my laptop, but the messed up bios flash (I'm now almost certain that's the problem) forbids me from using the usb ports at any time... even at start up (I know because I've tried to boot from a usb stick too) the usb ports are recognized, and they do receive power if only for a couple of seconds upon powering up.

I had to take my old dell out from the storage room, got it together and installed ubuntu karmic, it didn't recognize my floppy, so whipped it out and installed win xp sp1, which does recognize my floppy, but apparently, after 6 years of storage the unit is dead...
Just my luck...

Thanks

Make sure your USB key is formatted for Fat/ Fat32 and make sure your bios settings aren't set to disable the USB ports. Have you tried using the CMOS reset pin? (there should be three pins on your mobo and a 2 pin jumper you place on them while powering up the computer, this should default your bios and hopefully clear the USB issue).

All else failing you may have to send the mobo in for service so they can reflash the CMOS / replace the CMOS chip.

metalchaos said:
Hello,

I've installed 10.6.3 on Corei3 + H55. My method was to install everything (updates, apps) on my macbook, and then clone the partition, install pcefi 10.6, modified kernel and the rest (/Extra folder, DSDT) from the old installation.

All good except that now if I reboot my USBs are blocked (not responding), so I have to hard reset. Any of you had this issue? I have the USBs in DSDT (they are recognized as BuiltIn), I have also tried with 10.6.2 USB kexts, still same thing.

Thanks.

I think you have to replace the IOUSB kext with the 10.6.2 version and run kext helper to rebuild the cache.

I'm curious about the 10.6.3 update having removed all these critical drivers - was this a move by apple to cripple hackintoshes specifically?

From what I can tell the update means no more vanilla / almost vanilla hacks for the P55 mobos. The only fixes so far involve replacing kext files with older versions and I doubt apple will put the hardware support back in again. The only other possible long term fix involves hacked 10.6.3 kext files which means the same thing - no more vanilla systems.

I've used the 10.6.2 IOUSB and of course rebuilt the cache but still no fix.
Also I use vanilla 10.6.3 IOUSB (with the good DSDT), and it works ok besides this problem.

ne0shell said:
From what I can tell the update means no more vanilla / almost vanilla hacks for the P55 mobos. The only fixes so far involve replacing kext files with older versions and I doubt apple will put the hardware support back in again. The only other possible long term fix involves hacked 10.6.3 kext files which means the same thing - no more vanilla systems.

Well- true, but anyone with an edited DSDT can run the vanilla 10.6.3 IOUSBFamily.kext without any issues. It's only if you don't have an edited DSDT that you're SOL. :ugeek:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back