Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z390 Designare
CPU
i7 8700
Graphics
RX 580
Hey guys,

Little bit worried there, I might have done something quite stupid.

I've spent the whole week building and setting up my first Hackintosh and I'm happy to say that it works like a charm! I've followed this amazing thread step by step to set everything up.

So once everything was installed, I decided to make a bootable backup of the system. And to do that, I had to erase the disk that I used to create the USB install disk; but I completely forgot to move the config.plist file.
I've done many saves of that file when configuring clover, but I was so focused on the matter at task that I completely forgot that I was modifying the file on the USB stick...
So when I launched the Clover Configurator after I've done my backup I realised it was completely blanked. I first thought that I could just reconfigure the way it was: check some boxes, fill up some lines... But I also thought it could really confuse the system. So I did nothing and restarted the computer, expecting a huge crash or smth of the sort... But it did nothing, it booted all right and it looks like it works exactly the same as before.

So what do you think I should do ?
Is there a way I can find this config.plist file hidden somewhere ? Is there a way I can export the system parameters to Clover ? Should I just try and fill everything up the same way it was ?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Cheers,

Theo

Hey guys,

Little bit worried there, I might have done something quite stupid.

I've spent the whole week building and setting up my first Hackintosh and I'm happy to say that it works like a charm! I've followed this amazing thread step by step to set everything up.

So once everything was installed, I decided to make a bootable backup of the system. And to do that, I had to erase the disk that I used to create the USB install disk; but I completely forgot to move the config.plist file.
I've done many saves of that file when configuring clover, but I was so focused on the matter at task that I completely forgot that I was modifying the file on the USB stick...
So when I launched the Clover Configurator after I've done my backup I realised it was completely blanked. I first thought that I could just reconfigure the way it was: check some boxes, fill up some lines... But I also thought it could really confuse the system. So I did nothing and restarted the computer, expecting a huge crash or smth of the sort... But it did nothing, it booted all right and it looks like it works exactly the same as before.

So what do you think I should do ?
Is there a way I can find this config.plist file hidden somewhere ? Is there a way I can export the system parameters to Clover ? Should I just try and fill everything up the same way it was ?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Cheers,

Theo
You need to have your hardware profile filled out as per rules (the ones you agreed to when signing up here)

I don't quite understand what you mean there but here's what you do

1. When you prepare a USB disk for initial boot, you are preparing the config.plist (on the USB EFI) to boot the OS and then install on the HDD. At this point the USB EFI has the config to boot the OS and the installer is on the 2nd partition of the USB
2. During the install you are still booting off the USB's EFI, but the installer is installing the OS on the HDD
3. After you complete the install, you are required to mount the EFI of the HDD and copy the EFI from your USB to HDD. This way you transfer the config.plist to the HDD and enable the HDD to boot on its own.
4. Now you can disconnect the USB and boot from the HDD.

If you can now boot from the HDD without the USB then, you already have completed step 4. If you accidentally removed the EFI from the USB drive, simply mount the EFI on the HDD and copy it to the EFI on the USB.

Hey mango1122,

Thank you for your answer, but my problem is situated a bit after the installation phase.

I've attached a screenshot of the step by step installation of the post I followed. Perhaps it will be a bit clear what my problem is. I lost the saved file that clover creates during the installation, when I open the configurator, it's completely blank, opposed to what it should look like in this post.

Hope this makes it clearer.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-06-10 at 12.44.15.png
    Screen Shot 2019-06-10 at 12.44.15.png
    688.4 KB · Views: 472
You need to mount the EFI partition with clover configurator (see on the left, in the tools section), then open up your config.plist inside the clover folder.

Everytime you start clover configurator, it starts a new config.plist. So you need to tell it where your config.plist is located. There is also a "recent" files opener.

Last edited:
Hey, sorry for the late reply.

Thank you for your answer @CrashMidnick, I went through the tools section of the clover configurator, I mounted the EFI partition and I found the config.plist file. It loads correctly but it's quite empty, completely different from what I've configured during the setup.

Should I just reconfigure it?

If everything works, what are you trying to do? Please mark this as solved.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back