Contribute
Register

List of Confirmed Radeon HD 7xxx Series (10.8.3+)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm on Mavericks 10.9 and I didn't have to do anything except to disable my integrated GPU, period. No workarounds.

Hillariously... It took me over 2 hours to get it to run stable in windows... as a tip 13.11 beta driver is spectacularly awful, if you're running windows go straight for the one delivered with your card (13.101 in my case)

btw System Report is showing the card as Radeon 7xxx, and if I remember correctly Cinebench showed it as a FirePro... Hmm

Great news. Very glad to hear all of this. Cant wait for UD7TH to be released and finally build my PC. I really hope Sapphire Radeon R9 280X Toxic works right out of the box as well - its the one Im getting (if/when its in stock again) - the best R9 280x out there (my opinion).

• factory overclock of 1100 MHz for the core
  • 1150 MHz boost
  • memory is also overclocked to 6.4 GHz (effective)
  • looks bitchen (viva 1980's)

http://www.thinkcomputers.org/sapphire-radeon-r9-280x-toxic-video-card-review/

1.jpg2.jpg3.jpg4.jpg5.jpg

Attachments

• Toxic3qtr_678x452.jpg
    Toxic3qtr_678x452.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 243
  • 2YclUB6.jpg
    2YclUB6.jpg
    184.5 KB · Views: 349
WWOOOOOHOOOOO!!!! So I just updated 10.9 on my machine (specs below) and I can say that the 7970 ghz edition OC from gigabyte is fully functional and does not have the white screen issue. I do have to enable the IGF as primary in order to get that to show up in the system report/be able to use it with the 7970 but i'm having no difficulty at all... I love this machine! Now that I don't have to do the sleep/rotate trick it is awesome!

GA-z77x-up5-th
3770k OC 4.7ghz w/ h80i
32gb RAM
250gb Samsung 840 EVO
Gigabyte 7970 GHZ OC edition

Great news. Very glad to hear all of this. Cant wait for UD7TH to be released and finally build my PC. I really hope Sapphire Radeon R9 280X Toxic works right out of the box as well - its the one Im getting (if/when its in stock again) - the best R9 280x out there (my opinion).

That's a really nice card, but I hope you're ready for the noise, trust me... this thing is at full load like a jet engine.

That's a really nice card, but I hope you're ready for the noise, trust me... this thing is at full load like a jet engine.

I wish dwood on overclock forums was still making custom brackets for Corsair and Antec water coolers...
Imagine putting an H80 on a 290x...

Damn that'd be nice, I'm running h80i on my cpu.
the r9 is the loudest component, otherwise my pc is whisper quiet.

hmm, didnt realize that - could be a problem, thanks for mentioning... :think:

being that its intended purpose is for editing video, when running Pro Tools it wont/shouldnt be needed or taxed. meaning pro tools is just a daw and isnt heavily gpu dependent (shouldnt be at all really). noise would definitely be a problem with PT

are you saying that it always runs at full speed? I know that sounds like a retarded question, perhaps it is, but I did not realize if thats the case. this would mean that the fans would be 100%, 100% of the time power is on... ? w/ pro tools that would be a serious issue - unusable

are you saying that it always runs at full speed? I know that sounds like a retarded question, perhaps it is, but I did not realize if thats the case. this would mean that the fans would be 100%, 100% of the time power is on... ? w/ pro tools that would be a serious issue - unusable

Oh no, no, that's definitely not what I mean :)
In normal operation on the Mac this card is very quiet, and the card fans are very low. In fact well below 20%, but in my case - it's still far louder than any other component of my machine. I've got the new Corsair RM series power supply - that thing doesn't even bother to kick in with its fan, the CPU is watercooled with an H80i, and the fans are whisper quiet... and then there is the R9

Here is a Tom's Hardware test of what the different cards sound like on full load (includes your chosen Toxic), just watch the videos:
http://www.tomshardware.de/amd-radeon-r9-280x-roundup-test,testberichte-241401-6.html

Don't be fooled into thinking that they will sound like this all the time, or at all in your particular machine, this is a lab test. Nonetheless all things being relative, here you can compare under the same circumstances different cards. Personally I think that HIS and Asus are closely followed by MSI (before BIOS update) or Club3D.

The load on the card is how much demand for the processing there is, if the card has to go high, it will also get very hot very quickly. I'd say at around 70Celsius you'll be hitting 40% of the card fan speed, which is already pretty loud, at 80 degrees it would probably go to 50%, and you don't really want your card to go above 85, so there would be an exponential increase of speed above that temperature and with that, noise.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back