Contribute
Register

List of Confirmed Radeon HD 7xxx Series (10.8.3+)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can anyone with the powercolor Tahiti 7870 card listed on the first page confirm that it works in Mavericks? If so, does it lose performance after sleep, as some others do?
This card seems to be the best bang/buck in the world right now ($130 after rebate!) so I went ahead and bought one. Results in both 10.8 and 10.9 are weird.

In 10.8.3, I can only boot with monitors on both the card and the builtin port (DVI for both). One booted, I can remove the builtin monitor and everything works fine. Benchmarks show expected performance. More weirdness: The "sleep trick" used to be needed to wake up the 7870 display, but isn't anymore. Perhaps because I made the 7870 the primary display in the monitors system pref?

In 10.9, the card is detected and reported correctly, but benchmarks run on either monitor show the performance of the HD4000 only - even if the monitor connected to the 4000 is removed, and the only screen is plugged into the 7870, I get the *exact* performance of the HD4000. Anyone know what's going on with that?

Great news. Very glad to hear all of this. Cant wait for UD7TH to be released and finally build my PC. I really hope Sapphire Radeon R9 280X Toxic works right out of the box as well - its the one Im getting (if/when its in stock again) - the best R9 280x out there (my opinion).

• factory overclock of 1100 MHz for the core
  • 1150 MHz boost
  • memory is also overclocked to 6.4 GHz (effective)
  • looks bitchen (viva 1980's)

http://www.thinkcomputers.org/sapphire-radeon-r9-280x-toxic-video-card-review/

View attachment 70687View attachment 70688View attachment 70689View attachment 70690View attachment 70691

Hello, I check for put an R9 280x in my hack. I have check the review of Sapphire Toxic and on page 3 (http://www.thinkcomputers.org/sapphire-radeon-r9-280x-toxic-video-card-review/3/) we have the id on the screenshoot

We can see Device ID 1002-6798, so it is the same id than 7970 and this id is know by mavericks, so i think normally that can work.

In AMD7000Controller.kext the info.plist don't have sub vendor id, there is only <key>IOPCIMatch</key>, so only the vendor and device id are checked. I can deduce that any R9 280x with id 6798 will be detected.

Attachments

• info.jpg
    info.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 363
Sorry if this is in the wrong place, but I have a Radeon HD 6970 and I'm wondering if there is a list like this for the HD 6xxx cards. Also, if anyone knows what special things need to be done to get it working, it would be much appreciated. I am using one of the gigabyte mATX golden builds with integrated graphics currently.

I'm positively surprised.

My R9 280x works OOB, no kext editing, no nothing.
Everything works from boot onward, integrated GPU is now entirely off.
The only setting I kept from my original HD4600 setup was the forced initial resolution of 1080p (not even sure whether this is necessary, but it sure doesn't hurt).

Card: Asus R9280X-DC2T-3GD5
System: 10.9

Correction: everything works, including HDMI audio, my settings in the display were all funky ;)

Can you say us your score in Luxmark please.

Hello I have buy Gigabyte R9 280x 3GB and it's work OOB.

Graphic Enabler = No

OpenCL work, QE/CI work.

Luxmark 2.1 score : 2422
Luxmark return FirePro D700 engine.

Card Ref : GV-R928XOC-3GD

Detected as 7970 :
AMD Radeon HD 7xxx*:

Jeu de composants*: AMD Radeon HD 7xxx
Type*: Processeur graphique (GPU)
Bus*: PCIe
Longueur de la voie PCIe*: x16
VRAM (totale)*: 3072 Mo
Fournisseur*: ATI (0x1002)
Identifiant du périphérique*: 0x6798
Identifiant de révision*: 0x0000
Moniteurs*:
PLE2607WS*:
Résolution*: 1920 x 1200 @ 59 Hz
Profondeur de pixels*: Couleurs 32 bits (ARGB8888)
Moniteur principal*: Oui
Miroir*: Désactivé
Connecté*: Oui
Rotation*: Géré

Hey guys,

I just got myself a new R9 280x (the Asus DCU2), upgraded from a Sapphire 6850.

After some research, I followed Tony's guide for moving Chimera to the EFI partition which seemed to work fine when I did it.

When I rebooted my computer, I was welcomed with a Loading Operating System ... that basically lasts forever, as if the system cannot find the boot loader.

I followed the instructions to the letter and did it many times in case I had made a mistake.
Card works beautifully with Windows 7 (which is on another SSD), problem is only with OS X. (Fresh install, 10.9)

Here are my specs:
Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3 (No integrated graphics)
ASUS Radeon R9 280X OC 1070MHZ 3GB
i7-2600k

What do you think?
Thanks guys!

I have a 2GB Powercolor 7850.

I could never get it working in Mountain Lion. Found some drivers in a thread I can't remember where but managed to get my 7850 working great with 10.9 Mavericks without having to enable onboard graphics using Clover boot loader.

Made my own Mavericks Clover boot USB, installed and used kext helper to install the attached drivers and it booted first time with full QE/CI, Mirroring, etc.. the screen flashes white before loading login screen but it works great.

Attachments

• kext10.9final7850.zip
    2.2 MB · Views: 222
Hey, the driver you linked is for the 7950, my card is a R9 280x, which is a rebadged 7970!

I've been looking on a lot of different forums and I can't seem to find any solution for my problem.

The solution, it seems, is to use an EFI boot loader (Clover?) but i can't seem to get it to work.

I'm pretty sure that being able to not use Integrated graphics card (which I don't have) with the use of Clover would solve my problem, but I have no previous experience with that boot loader.

The driver works on 7850 though, shows up as Radeon 7xxx 2048MB but has full acceleration so it'll probably work on yours.

If you have a Gigabyte board that allows you to boot from EFI partitions then you can customise the Clover installation so it installs it into the EFI partition and not on the system partition.

zL.png

That's what I installed on mine and after installing the drivers using Kext Helper it booted first time with full acceleration without the USB Clover Installer.

Ok, I would give it a try, but I'm not sure if my motherboard supports booting from EFI partition actually.

My mobo is the Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3

Edit: After some deeper research, I found out that my mobo is Hybrid EFI, but is not full UEFI.
I'm starting to fear I might not be able to boot this card with OS X after all

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back