Contribute
Register

LG UltraFine 5K Build

Thanks @joevt and @andrew3210, that's a bummer! And if I'm not understanding incorrectly even if I connect only one Ultrafine 5k Display I'm not able to run it at 10pbc? O_O

10pbc works for a single Ultrafine 5k. Tested on macOS and Win10.

For dual monitors it‘s maybe better to use something with DisplayPort instead of TB3 or you use only 1 x 5k and a high res monitor without TB3 or you wait for a TB3 AMD Graphics Card. But if it will work with that Graphics Card I also don’t know.

Thanks @joevt and @andrew3210, that's a bummer! And if I'm not understanding incorrectly even if I connect only one Ultrafine 5k Display I'm not able to run it at 10pbc? O_O
I meant 10 bpc is not possible if you use the DisplayPort 1.4 MST hub method that only works in Windows (which has the benefit of only using a single DisplayPort 1.4 port which might allow connecting more than two 5K displays).

You are not using the DisplayPort 1.4 method. You are using the Dual DisplayPort 1.2 method which does support 10 bpc (because it has 33% more bandwidth than DisplayPort 1.4).

I got my ultrafine 5G working by buying this:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07GBZL93X/?tag=tonymacx86com-20

but unfortunately the usb-c ports on the monitor, as well as the speakers, do not work. Only the video seems to work.

In System Report if I go to PCI or Thunderbolt it says this computer doesnt contain any thunderbolt (or PCI) cards or devices.

I would really like to get the speakers on the monitor to work. Does anyone have any idea why video works but nothing else does? I'm guessing I have to do something with SSDT but I really dont have any idea what that is or how it works.

I got my ultrafine 5G working by buying this:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07GBZL93X/?tag=tonymacx86com-20

but unfortunately the usb-c ports on the monitor, as well as the speakers, do not work. Only the video seems to work.

In System Report if I go to PCI or Thunderbolt it says this computer doesnt contain any thunderbolt (or PCI) cards or devices.

I would really like to get the speakers on the monitor to work. Does anyone have any idea why video works but nothing else does? I'm guessing I have to do something with SSDT but I really dont have any idea what that is or how it works.
You have the Thunderbolt add-in card doing DisplayPort to Thunderbolt conversion which the display converts back to DisplayPort to do video. That is automatic and doesn't require help from the firmware or OS.

Normal displays use audio over DisplayPort or HDMI. For LG UltraFine displays, audio is handled by a USB audio device. In the UltraFine 5K the USB device is connected to a USB controller that is connected to the Thunderbolt controller.

The USB functions of the display require PCIe tunneling over Thunderbolt for communication with the USB controllers. This functionality requires the firmware or OS to enable.

Maybe if you boot Windows, then warm boot into MacOS, the Thunderbolt devices will work.

There are other threads that have instructions for adding an SSDT to enable Thunderbolt.

You have the Thunderbolt add-in card doing DisplayPort to Thunderbolt conversion which the display converts back to DisplayPort to do video. That is automatic and doesn't require help from the firmware or OS.

Normal displays use audio over DisplayPort or HDMI. For LG UltraFine displays, audio is handled by a USB audio device. In the UltraFine 5K the USB device is connected to a USB controller that is connected to the Thunderbolt controller.

The USB functions of the display require PCIe tunneling over Thunderbolt for communication with the USB controllers. This functionality requires the firmware or OS to enable.

Maybe if you boot Windows, then warm boot into MacOS, the Thunderbolt devices will work.

There are other threads that have instructions for adding an SSDT to enable Thunderbolt.

Hmm.. the only SSDT I was able to find was for a x299 and one for alpine ridge. Do you mind sharing where instructions are that could point me in the right direction for getting support for my z390+titan?

Hmm.. the only SSDT I was able to find was for a x299 and one for alpine ridge. Do you mind sharing where instructions are that could point me in the right direction for getting support for my z390+titan?

This is likely your best bet, and you will need to modify what ever you find to match your system.

This is likely your best bet, and you will need to modify what ever you find to match your system.
thanks, I'll follow this!

Unfortunately I realized that that my ultrafine has the same problem in Windows. Audio and the usb-c ports don't work in Windows either!

thanks, I'll follow this!

Unfortunately I realized that that my ultrafine has the same problem in Windows. Audio and the usb-c ports don't work in Windows either!

Is your Titan Ridge connected to the internal TB header on the motherboard? And also did you connect the Titan Ridge USB to the correct internal USB header? In Windows it should work without any issues out of the box.

Check also the bios settings of your TB card.

Is your Titan Ridge connected to the internal TB header on the motherboard? And also did you connect the Titan Ridge USB to the correct internal USB header? In Windows it should work without any issues out of the box.

Check also the bios settings of your TB card.

I got it working in windows, I had to install the gigabyte driver. It’s not working in MacOS yet though:

can you see what I might be doing wrong?

I got it working in windows, I had to install the gigabyte driver. It’s not working in MacOS yet though:

can you see what I might be doing wrong?

In my case exactly the same problem occurs as soon as i reconnect the monitor.

Maybe you have some special kexts or boot arguments what will do a reconnect of all usb devices on boot?

Back