Contribute
Register

LG UltraFine 5K Build

That's it! :thumbup: Thanks a lot, now I am very happy :) Everything is working well with agdpmod=pikera and I don't need to switch to Designare anymore. No problems after sleep. When I reconnect the thunderbolt cable, the display works but I loose connection to cam/sound/brightness-control but I will never reconnect the screen so it's no problem. I also tried a second 4K monitor plugged directly to the Radeon VII DisplayPort #3 without any problems.

Good to hear about your experiences with the Radeon VII. I have a 5K MST display myself (Dell UP2715K) which relies on 2x DisplayPort cables for 5120x2880 and I was thinking of just ditching my 1080Ti+RX580 and just going for Radeon VII since I can sell both of my current cards to go back to a simpler single GPU system.

Please tell me if I can get 5k in a Mac with Radeon VII and TitanRidge?

Thank you.

Last edited:
Thank you. What about Z390 Designare? Or only Auros will do?

The problem with the Designare is that there is no Thunderbolt header on the mainboard. That means you cannot connect the Titan Ridge card. Designares internal Thunderbolt controller has only one Displayport-Input. But the LG Ultrafine 5K needs 2 Displayport-Inputs. Otherwise, you get only 4K resolution which looks blurry and is not good for this expensive monitor. The Gigabyte X299 Designare EX mainboard has 2 Displayport-Inputs. Maybe this will work out of the box but I have no knowledge about that mainboard.

@andrew3210
Andrew, can you connect two LG UltraFine 5k Display using the Z390 Aorus + Titan Ridge?. I'm looking to build a hackintosh with 2 of these displays. Is this even possible? Thanks!

@andrew3210
Andrew, can you connect two LG UltraFine 5k Display using the Z390 Aorus + Titan Ridge?. I'm looking to build a hackintosh with 2 of these displays. Is this even possible? Thanks!
The LG UltraFine 5K display requires two DisplayPort 1.2 signals to get 5K 60Hz 10bpc. Thunderbolt controllers only have two DisplayPort inputs so you can normally only connect one LG UltraFine 5K display per Thunderbolt controller.

But, Titan Ridge supports DisplayPort 1.4 and if you had a DisplayPort 1.4 MST hub (like what's in some new Thunderbolt 3 docks like the HP Thunderbolt Dock G2), then you could get two DisplayPort 1.2 signals from the hub, connect them to another Thunderbolt 3 add in card such as the GC-ALPINE RIDGE or GC-TITAN RIDGE, and get 5K 60Hz 8bpc using MST (8bpc instead of 10bpc because DisplayPort 1.4 only has 75% the bandwidth of dual DisplayPort 1.2), but macOS doesn't support MST so it would only work in Windows. Titan Ridge cannot pass two such DisplayPort 1.4 MST signals over a single Thunderbolt 3 port (5120x2880x60x24x2 exceeds 40 Gbps max of Thunderbolt) so you would need to use both ports and an MST hub per port.

@andrew3210

Maybe it is possible to use a second TitanRidge card but because of a missing second TB header on the mainboard you will not be able to adjust brightness, there will be no sound and no cam. I don‘t have a second 5k monitor so i cannot test it.

Thanks @joevt and @andrew3210, that's a bummer! And if I'm not understanding incorrectly even if I connect only one Ultrafine 5k Display I'm not able to run it at 10pbc? O_O

Back