Contribute
Register

LG UltraFine 5K Build

New LG Ultrafine 5k has Titan Ridge inside (instead of the Alpine), so you now only need one DP-in to make it work at 5k (example the Gigabyte Designare with TB3 support built-in)

Great News, can anybody confirm ?

The updated - LG UltraFine 5k Display (2019 model) Running, 5K Resolution @ 60Hz.

Driven via a Thunderbolt 3 TitanRidge Interface using a single Display Port (1.4) cable from the GPU to the Thunderbolt 3 Interface ?

I assume what you mean is that you will feed 2 DP from your video card into the Titan Ridge card which will allow you to drive the monitor off of a single Thunderbolt 3 cable? I THINK that should work...
That's been done with the old LG UltraFine 5K many times by many people. What bluepr0 says is something new:

The new LG UltraFine 5K is different than the old LG UltraFine 5K because the new one has a Titan Ridge Thunderbolt controller instead of an Alpine Ridge Thunderbolt controller.

The Titan Ridge Thunderbolt controller lets you connect the display to a computer that doesn't have Thunderbolt but only at 4K resolution because that mode uses a single DisplayPort signal from USB-C DisplayPort alt mode (this display doesn't take 5K 60 Hz from DisplayPort 1.4).

When connected to a Thunderbolt computer, the display can take two DisplayPort 1.2 signals to make 5K 60Hz 10bpc. I think what bluepr0 is saying is that the display will also accept a single DisplayPort signal over Thunderbolt. I think that is possible because that is what it does when connected via USB-C DisplayPort alt mode. I don't remember if the old LG UltraFine 5K allowed a single DisplayPort signal over Thunderbolt. In dual DisplayPort mode, my Dell UP2715K will accept a single DisplayPort signal from the first port to get 4K.

That’s right. Titan ridge can drive through TB3 a DP1.4 which is capable of driving 5K at 60hz
But the test with the Moshi cable saw no 5K resolution. A DisplayPort signal through Thunderbolt probably won't change that. Also, DisplayPort 1.4 only has 75% the bandwidth of Dual DisplayPort 1.2, so 5K 60 Hz can only have 8 bpc instead of 10 bpc.

From that one Moshi test I've seen, the new UltraFine 5K does not have the Thunderbolt + USB-C + DisplayPort 1.4 capabilities that the LG 34WK95U-W (5K2K) display has.

I would like to see output from the following command:
Code:
/System/Library/Extensions/AppleGraphicsControl.kext/Contents/MacOS/AGDCDiagnose -a > AGDCDiagnose_a.txt 2>&1
It should show DisplayPort version, max link speed (HBR2 for DisplayPort 1.2 and HBR3 for DisplayPort1.4), max link width (4 lanes usually), and current link speed and link width. It should also show EDID. For Thunderbolt, it should show info for both DisplayPort signals (EDID for each half of the screen will be different). I think this info might be available only for Intel or AMD graphics.

Last edited:
That's been done with the old LG UltraFine 5K many times by many people. What bluepr0 says is something new:

The new LG UltraFine 5K is different than the old LG UltraFine 5K because the new one has a Titan Ridge Thunderbolt controller instead of an Alpine Ridge Thunderbolt controller.

The Titan Ridge Thunderbolt controller lets you connect the display to a computer that doesn't have Thunderbolt but only at 4K resolution because that mode uses a single DisplayPort signal from USB-C DisplayPort alt mode (this display doesn't take 5K 60 Hz from DisplayPort 1.4).

When connected to a Thunderbolt computer, the display can take two DisplayPort 1.2 signals to make 5K 60Hz 10bpc. I think what bluepr0 is saying is that the display will also accept a single DisplayPort signal over Thunderbolt. I think that is possible because that is what it does when connected via USB-C DisplayPort alt mode. I don't remember if the old LG UltraFine 5K allowed a single DisplayPort signal over Thunderbolt. In dual DisplayPort mode, my Dell UP2715K will accept a single DisplayPort signal from the first port to get 4K.

But the test with the Moshi cable saw no 5K resolution. A DisplayPort signal through Thunderbolt probably won't change that. Also, DisplayPort 1.4 only has 75% the bandwidth of Dual DisplayPort 1.2, so 5K 60 Hz can only have 8 bpc instead of 10 bpc.

From that one Moshi test I've seen, the new UltraFine 5K does not have the Thunderbolt + USB-C + DisplayPort 1.4 capabilities that the LG 34WK95U-W (5K2K) display has.

I would like to see output from the following command:
Code:
/System/Library/Extensions/AppleGraphicsControl.kext/Contents/MacOS/AGDCDiagnose -a > AGDCDiagnose_a.txt
It should show DisplayPort version, max link speed (HBR2 for DisplayPort 1.2 and HBR3 for DisplayPort1.4), max link width (4 lanes usually), and current link speed and link width. It should also show EDID. For Thunderbolt, it should show info for both DisplayPort signals (EDID for each half of the screen will be different). I think this info might be available only for Intel or AMD graphics.
Maybe you can ping the user who confirmed it here https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...390-thunderbolt-3-i7-9700k-amd-rx-580.267551/ (check TB3 compatibility list). I’m also interested in a final reply

As I understand it, the Thunderbolt cable is not the issue. If you get a USB 3 cable and think its the same as a Thunderbolt cable, it's not. More importantly, the Titan Ridge on the Hackintosh does not output it's own video signal. Your Video card must feed the Titan ridge card. Since the Video card does NOT have Thunderbolt, you need 2 DisplayPort connections from the video card to the Titan Ridge card.

As I understand it, the Thunderbolt cable is not the issue. If you get a USB 3 cable and think its the same as a Thunderbolt cable, it's not. More importantly, the Titan Ridge on the Hackintosh does not output it's own video signal. Your Video card must feed the Titan ridge card. Since the Video card does NOT have Thunderbolt, you need 2 DisplayPort connections from the video card to the Titan Ridge card.
One DisplayPort connection should work, but the one DisplayPort signal may be limited to one of the Thunderbolt ports, and won't be enough for 5K on displays that are dual link SST.

With the new 2019 5K UltraFine, would it be possible to get a fully functional 5K@60Hz 10bpc setup (+ audio) on Windows using the Nvidia Quadro P1000? It's a GP107 Pascal GPU with 4 mDP 1.4 display connectors.

If not, what elements should be added to get a functional workflow? I'm limited to external enclosures since no PCIe slots available on my case.

Thanks.

With the new 2019 5K UltraFine, would it be possible to get a fully functional 5K@60Hz 10bpc setup (+ audio) on Windows using the Nvidia Quadro P1000? It's a GP107 Pascal GPU with 4 mDP 1.4 display connectors.

If not, what elements should be added to get a functional workflow? I'm limited to external enclosures since no PCIe slots available on my case.

Thanks.
You need a card that converts the DP-in into Thunderbolt. The monitor only have that connection. A Titan or alpine ridge should do it, but you will only have display signal. If you want to use cam, min, usb hub you will need to plug it into a compatible motherboard

You need a card that converts the DP-in into Thunderbolt. The monitor only have that connection. A Titan or alpine ridge should do it, but you will only have display signal. If you want to use cam, min, usb hub you will need to plug it into a compatible motherboard
Thanks bluepr0.

There seems to be good feedback from HP Thunderbolt Dock G2 which is an Alpine ridge in an external enclosure. I assume I could get a 5K video signal on Thunderbolt with that device. But, there is no way to get the GPU audio devices passed-through to the monitor using this setup?

Back