Contribute
Register

Kiwi's Next Project - iMac G5

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Kiwi

Congratulations! You've finished this project with a superb result! You can be proud. :thumbup:

My G5 iMac project has to wait until the winter. My actual summer project is an Arduino based MPPT (Maximum Power Point Tracking) solar charge controller...

Mac - and many other things - Tester

Hi Kiwi

Congratulations! You've finished this project with a superb result! You can be proud. :thumbup:

My G5 iMac project has to wait until the winter. My actual summer project is an Arduino based MPPT (Maximum Power Point Tracking) solar charge controller...

Mac - and many other things - Tester
Thanks, good luck with your current project I myself have moved into an Arduino home monitoring/automation direction. Look forward to the resumption of your project.

Kiwi

hi wiki
I make the SMC Board
Why is connected to the power supply
to start ?
connected the 220V the G5 Power is working

Check where?
THX

hi wiki
I make the SMC Board
Why is connected to the power supply
to start ?
connected the 220V the G5 Power is working

Check where?
THX
I would love to help but you have given me very little information to go on. Preferable post a description of everything you have done, and what happened, then I can do my best to help.

I have posted a updated Bill of Materials XLS, with updated board layouts for the few changes that I had to make to get it all to work.

https://github.com/kiwisincebirth/iMacG5

How easy or difficult it would be to adapt your SMC board into a G4 to control fan speed and LCD brightness? Power sequencing is mostly not needed - I still have to use a pico anyway - and there is much less space in the G4.

I just managed to fire up my $30 G5 LCD panel tonight and found a few dead pixels on it. :lol: Granted it's just a Windows recovery screen (leftover install of win7 on the mSATA SSD I used), but I figure I may need the functionalities provided your SMC board.

How easy or difficult it would be to adapt your SMC board into a G4 to control fan speed and LCD brightness? Power sequencing is mostly not needed - I still have to use a pico anyway - and there is much less space in the G4.
Easy enough but you will have to be comfortable with breadboarding circuits, soldering, and coding in C / C++. You could simplify the design down to just a few additional components (I went a bit over the top). The good thing with arduino is amount of support on the forums. The software I have written could be easily cut down while maintaining compatibility with the Brightness menu app.

Kiwi

Hey Kiwi :clap:
i have the same project like you but i have one error :banghead:
in the lower part of the screen it looks like a color gradient from white to gray
So brightly dark

i hope you can help me with it

here a picture
IMG_20140925_195212.jpg

Hey Kiwi :clap:
i have the same project like you but i have one error :banghead:
in the lower part of the screen it looks like a color gradient from white to gray
So brightly dark

i hope you can help me with it

here a picture
View attachment 105393
Is it possible that one of your lower backlights have failed?

On a relevant note, I just sent an email to lcdparts.net asking about a LED backlight kit for the 20" LCD panels. :D

Is it possible that one of your lower backlights have failed?

On a relevant note, I just sent an email to lcdparts.net asking about a LED backlight kit for the 20" LCD panels. :D
I would agree probably a backlight failure. You should check the connectors from the inverter to the backlight maybe a loose or failed connector could also cause the problem.

RE lcdparts.net, I didn't know this was possible. I would be interested in any outcomes on this topic. I purchased a second working iMac G5 20" so have a complete set of replacements.

RE lcdparts.net, I didn't know this was possible. I would be interested in any outcomes on this topic. I purchased a second working iMac G5 20" so have a complete set of replacements.

They pretty much told me same day no. :(

I could buy two of their standard UB kits and splice them together to make it 450mm. But this can get expensive as their kits can go up to $160 per. They did not list the length of the LED strips in their kits.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back