Contribute
Register

kernel_task always using above 100% CPU!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Slimbook Pro2
CPU
i5-8250U
Graphics
UHD 620, 3200x1800
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Hi

The fans on my new build were (and are) constantly running very loud and fast. I installed HWMonitor and discovered my CPU is almost constantly running at the maximum turbo speed, 3.4GHz -- it does fluctuate but rarely drops below 2.9GHz. CPU cores are constantly between 60 and 73°C! On inspecting Activity monitor, I see kernel_task is constantly using 101-110% CPU. I assume I haven't properly implemented power management or have made another error in working with my ACPI files, but I'm not sure what.

Please see attached problem reporting files.

Any help would be appreciated!

Attachments

• debug_14798.zip
    7.6 MB · Views: 120
Temporarily removing ACPIBatteryManager.kext seems to have a pretty dramatic affect: the CPU moves between around 1.3 and 2.6GHz, rising about this only on very rare occasions, the CPU cores drop to around 38°C and the fans, of course, run much more slowly and quietly. I assume that means I am correct in thinking there is a problem with my ACPI/power management implementation? Obviously permanently removing ACPIBatteryManager.kext isn't a practical option!

Thanks in advance for any help.

Temporarily removing ACPIBatteryManager.kext seems to have a pretty dramatic affect: the CPU moves between around 1.3 and 2.6GHz, rising about this only on very rare occasions, the CPU cores drop to around 38°C and the fans, of course, run much more slowly and quietly. I assume that means I am correct in thinking there is a problem with my ACPI/power management implementation? Obviously permanently removing ACPIBatteryManager.kext isn't a practical option!

Thanks in advance for any help.
your acpi/patched folder is wrong ssdt's with an x should not be in there

you only need a DSDT for your patching
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/guide-patching-laptop-dsdt-ssdts.152573/post-950097

Please see updated problem reporting files attached.

Attachments

• debug_10560.zip
    9.3 MB · Views: 116
Have tried some more edits unsuccessfully. On studying the kernel log the only oddity I can see is that the following is repeated time and again:
Code:
2019-01-24 00:02:31.990789+0000 0x5d9      Default     0x0                  0      0    kernel: (kernel) ACPIBatteryManager: WARNING! fMaxCapacity > fDesignCapacity. adjusted fMaxCapacity from 3118, to 3100
2019-01-24 00:02:31.990792+0000 0x5d9      Default     0x0                  0      0    kernel: (kernel) ACPIBatteryManager: WARNING! fCurrentCapacity > fMaxCapacity. adjusted fCurrentCapacity from 3118, to 3100
I think I'm pretty out of my depth. I've tried a couple of possible fixes unsuccessfully. @RehabMan could you take a look, please?

Attachments

• debug_16900.zip
    3.2 MB · Views: 119
Hi

The fans on my new build were (and are) constantly running very loud and fast. I installed HWMonitor and discovered my CPU is almost constantly running at the maximum turbo speed, 3.4GHz -- it does fluctuate but rarely drops below 2.9GHz. CPU cores are constantly between 60 and 73°C! On inspecting Activity monitor, I see kernel_task is constantly using 101-110% CPU. I assume I haven't properly implemented power management or have made another error in working with my ACPI files, but I'm not sure what.

Please see attached problem reporting files.

Any help would be appreciated!
See here. You may have this problem.
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/solved-patched-applehda-maxing-out-cpu-utilization.211829/

The problem seems to be a bug in my DSDT battery methods, but I don't have the skill or knowledge to fix it. Anybody ever have a similar problem? Anyone skilled with ACPI files? I'd really appreciate any help! Thank you!

Attached new problem reporting files following another unsuccessful attempt to solve this issue.

Attachments

• debug_16716.zip
    2.2 MB · Views: 127
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back