Contribute
Register

Jays MonkeyBook Pro - The Ultimate Sony VPC-SE CustoMac Build

Status
Not open for further replies.
Step-2: Open a terminal window and apply these two binary patches from the command line, simply copy and paste each one in turn to your terminal command line and press return:-

Code:
sudo perl -pi -e 's|\x01\x58\x54|\x01\x58\x58|g' /System/Library/Extensions/IO80211Family.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AirPortBrcm4360.kext/Contents/MacOS/AirPortBrcm4360

sudo perl -pi -e 's|\x30\x6B\x10\x00\x00\x75\x0D|\x30\x6B\x10\x00\x00\x90\x90|' /System/Library/Extensions/IO80211Family.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AirPortBrcm4360.kext/Contents/MacOS/AirPortBrcm4360

• The 1st patch enables the 5Ghz radio channels by changing the County Code from 'XT' to 'US'
  • The 2nd patch allows the card to identified as 'AirPort Extreme' allowing Airdrop support.
Huge thanks to SKVO for his investigations and for creating the above two patches.

Step-3: Exit and close the terminal window and re-run Kext Utility to re-build the caches and fix permissions one last time, when its finished you can shutdown (Power Off) the laptop.

Hi Jay,

I following up all your post forum in regards that I believe I have the similar card like yours (BCM4352 867Mbps Bluetooth 4.0).
I managed to get both Wifi and BT working with plist editing, but ever since I tried to connect to iphone within few second its get disconnected, tried to connect to my bluetooth speaker Sony SRS X5 also the same. I'm following up your story and end up here on your last post which is help me out to have stable Wifi and BT.

The only differences is the second command seems like doesnt affect on my wifi card after shutdown its still showing as like this:

en3:
Card Type: Third-Party Wireless Card
MAC Address: 28:e3:47:1e:dc:aa
Supported PHY Modes: 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac
Supported Channels: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14
Wake On Wireless: Supported
AirDrop: Supported

From the functionality I believe all is working except on the iphone, if I connect to Iphone its disconnected after few second, not sure why, is this normal ? but the Sony now working nicely.

Facetime is work, airdrop also work.

Below are my details card.
DPCIMANAGER
14E4, 43B1, 106B, 6646, Broadcom Corporation, BCM4352 802.11ac Wireless Network Adapter
Screen Shot 2015-09-02 at 9.03.08 PM.png

BLUETOOTH
Product ID: 0x200a —> to decimal 8202
Vendor ID: 0x04ca —> to decimal 1226

Apple Bluetooth Software Version: 4.3.5f8 15969
Hardware, Features, and Settings:
Name: Raff Mac Pro
Address: 40-F0-2F-D5-C3-59
Bluetooth Low Energy Supported: Yes
Handoff Supported: Yes
Instant Hotspot Supported: Yes
Manufacturer: Broadcom
Transport: USB
Chipset: 20702A3
Firmware Version: v14 c5810
Bluetooth Power: On
Discoverable: Off
Connectable: Yes
Auto Seek Pointing: Off
Remote wake: Off
Vendor ID: 0x04CA
Product ID: 0x200A
HCI Version: 0x6
HCI Revision: 0x16B2
LMP Version: 0x6
LMP Subversion: 0x220E
Device Type (Major): Computer
Device Type (Complete): Mac Desktop
Composite Class Of Device: 0x380104
Device Class (Major): 0x01
Device Class (Minor): 0x01
Service Class: 0x1C0
Auto Seek Keyboard: Off

Would you suggest me if the card showing as "Third-Party Wireless Card" not Airport.... is Ok ?
How do I test more functionality to make sure its fully working ?
Is there any reason why the second command doesnt affect on my kext ? and how do I verify that ?

Cheers,
wsokc

Hi Jay,

Would you suggest me if the card showing as "Third-Party Wireless Card" not Airport.... is Ok ?
How do I test more functionality to make sure its fully working ?
Is there any reason why the second command doesnt affect on my kext ? and how do I verify that ?

Cheers,
wsokc

The patches may have changed for latest version of OSX version since i posted that guide,

I now use Clover for patching kexts .... lots of examples on this and other forums.
Rehabman keeps a good set of example clover patches for various hardware combos on his repo.

Failing that keep an eye on this thread :-

http://www.tonymacx86.com/network/104850-guide-airport-pcie-half-mini-v2.html

Cheers
Jay

Nice looking laptop. Are you running 10.11?

I am now,

After successfully migrating to Yosemite (which took a lot of work and a new guide) ...

http://www.tonymacx86.com/yosemite-...ide-update-sony-s-series-clover-yosemite.html

I stuck with 10.10.5 right up till a few weeks ago, once 10.11.3 was released .. i figured that by then Apple should have sorted all the obvious kinks out of El Capitain.

Updating to 10.11.3 from Yosemite/Clover was pretty stright forward, just needed to update Clover and all 3rd party Kext's, then ran El Capitan update via App Store and performed in place update.

Once installed and booting it needed a little fine tuning to the clover kext patches to get the alc175 codec & bluetooth working, and of course i've lost USB3 functionality due to no NEC support right now, but i think it should be possible to get NEC USB3 working at some point in the future, once the OEM USB manufactures update their drivers ...

10.11.3 is running very stable, more so than Yosemite, i might one day get around to writing a small Update guide and add it to my the end of my Yosemite update guide.

Cheers
Jay

USB 3 in 10.11 on Sandy bridge doesn't seem to be no solution. Have the same issue with my 4530s but doesn't really bother me. I bought one of these Sony Vaios for my father got it for a good price only problem is that I'm having a issue finding the correct WIFI/Bluetooth Combo card. Was going to use the one I've got in my 4540s the AzureWave BCM94352HMB but having a hard time finding them.

USB 3 in 10.11 on Sandy bridge doesn't seem to be no solution. Have the same issue with my 4530s but doesn't really bother me. I bought one of these Sony Vaios for my father got it for a good price only problem is that I'm having a issue finding the correct WIFI/Bluetooth Combo card. Was going to use the one I've got in my 4540s the AzureWave BCM94352HMB but having a hard time finding them.

Note: No such thing as "Sandy Bridge USB3". Intel did not have a USB3 solution in the 6-series chipset.

So... it becomes a question as to whether your 3rd party USB3 chipset is supported.

On my desktop (Sandy Bridge), I installed a supported FL1100 USB3 card which works with native drivers in 10.11.

Obviously, on a laptop, you're stuck with whatever the OEM provides. You can try (my build) GenericUSBXHCI.kext. Usually if you plug the device before booting, it works.

I bought one of these Sony Vaios for my father got it for a good price only problem is that I'm having a issue finding the correct WIFI/Bluetooth Combo card. Was going to use the one I've got in my 4540s the AzureWave BCM94352HMB but having a hard time finding them.

I'm using AzureWave AW-CE123H mPCIe Card in my laptop and its been a solid and reliable card from the start, you just need to make sure you use the correct clover kext patches for each OSX version. I also use the same card in multiple Desktop ITX hacks with no issues.

Obviously, on a laptop, you're stuck with whatever the OEM provides. You can try (my build) GenericUSBXHCI.kext. Usually if you plug the device before booting, it works.

Hi RM,

I read your latest articles & posts on El Capitan / USB 3 issues and tried your latest build of GenericUSBXHCI.kext but it didn't want to play ball with the NEC / Renesas uPD720200 chipset on my Sony Vaio SE2 laptop.

Hopefully one of the 3rd Party USB3 add on card suppliers that use the NEC chipset will update and release a driver thats works with the new OSX 10.11.X USB stack ...

Cheers
Jay

I read your latest articles & posts on El Capitan / USB 3 issues and tried your latest build of GenericUSBXHCI.kext but it didn't want to play ball with the NEC / Renesas uPD720200 chipset on my Sony Vaio SE2 laptop.

Did you plug the device in before booting?
Do you have multiple Renesas ports? Did you plug into one, then the other (sometimes second plug into other port will make it detect).
Did you update your NEC/Renesas firmware to the latest available?

Hopefully one of the 3rd Party USB3 add on card suppliers that use the NEC chipset will update and release a driver thats works with the new OSX 10.11.X USB stack ...

Highly unlikely.

Did you plug the device in before booting?
Do you have multiple Renesas ports? Did you plug into one, then the other (sometimes second plug into other port will make it detect).
Did you update your NEC/Renesas firmware to the latest available?

Hi RM

I didn't try plugging in a USB 3 device before booting so will give that a go.

Sonys Intel 6 series SA/SB/SC/SE laptops only have a single NEC/Renesas port.

I flashed firmware a long time ago .. also updated sub Vender and PCI id's ... was working great in Mavericks using 3rd Party Sonnet driver and in Yosemite with Zenith432's clover patches.

Bummer that Apple decided to go this route and change the stack at a low level ... what makes you think that 3rd Party suppliers of add on MAC PCI USB3 like Sonnet, Cal Digit, laCie.. etc wont update their drivers to 10.11.X ? ... that said i am surprised that none of them have already which does make you wonder ...

Cheers
Jay

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back