Contribute
Register

Issues booting OS X installer from USB Stick when moving to Clover

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you install for UEFI booting you should be able to leave chimera on your system and have it as a back up bootloader if anything ever goes wrong with clover.

So as you say just install clover on your SSD and use whever config.plist is working for you. In your Bios boot menu you will see two mentions of your SSD, one with UEFI: and one with P0: (or other number) at the beginning . Selecting UEFI should boot using clover, selecting P0: should boot with chimera.

If you install for UEFI booting you should be able to leave chimera on your system and have it as a back up bootloader if anything ever goes wrong with clover.

So as you say just install clover on your SSD and use whever config.plist is working for you. In your Bios boot menu you will see two mentions of your SSD, one with UEFI: and one with P0: (or other number) at the beginning . Selecting UEFI should boot using clover, selecting P0: should boot with chimera.

Got it. I did notice the two options already.

I will do as instructed and update here.

Again, thanks for taking the time to help me get up and running... :thumbup:

OK. So I did as you instructed defbref.

After a bit of work I got clover installed on my Yosemite SSD partition and my machine is booting into my original OS X install using clover with no problems! :headbang::headbang::headbang: Thanks for helping me understand this UEFI stuff...

I am making progress but this clover boot setup isn't quite finished. For simplicity sake I haven't yet mentioned this but.... I originally installed Windows 7 on a separate SSD on the same machine. My original plan was to have and use both OSs on seperate SSDs...

Before I started using Clover I could successfully boot into either OS just fine with Chimera (and I still can). My Windows 7 install works fine and I can also still boot into it directly (by choosing it's SSD in Bios)

But I can't boot Windows 7 using Clover. Ideally, I'd like to get that working as well. Then my machine will be complete!

During the initial installation of Windows 7 I believe I installed it as a legacy install (not UEFI). I read some guide that instructed me to do this (and now I'm guessing that guide was specifically for Chimera users). When I boot using Clover I see two windows partitions that say "Windows Legacy HD 1" and "Windows Legacy HD 2". When I choose either of those I get an X on the middle of the screen and then just a blank screen with a cursor...

So my question is how do I correct this situation so I can boot into Windows with Clover? Is there an easy way to get Clover to boot Legacy Windows installations? Or would it be simpler just to re-format the Windows SSD and do a fresh install in UEFI mode? I can easily do that. I haven't done much configuring yet. I feel like the latter method may be the most straight forward. For that reason I am apt to do the fresh install for simplicity down the road when I have trouble recalling these details :crazy:

Any advice?

As always thanks again for your help...

Not an expert so take this as a grain of salt, but I just set my default drive to be the UEFI OSX SSD so that it defaults to Clover and boots into Yosemite... And then when I want to boot into Windows 8, I use the F12 key immediately during boot/restart to access all the possibly drives to boot from, from which I choose the Windows 8 SSD to boot from.

I am curious though as well if it is possible to just have the option on the Clover boot screen to boot into Windows as I'm having the same issue as you where Clover doesn't boot or recognize it correctly when I select it on the Clover boot screen (forcing me to use my BIOS' F12 key option to boot a different drive). Maybe defbref can chime in there.

I had a similar setup and could not get windows to boot in legacy so ended up re installing it in Uefi mode and it works fine now. There are threads on getting Windows to boot legacy in lover but if you can install in UEFI pretty easily, I would just do that.

I had a similar setup and could not get windows to boot in legacy so ended up re installing it in Uefi mode and it works fine now. There are threads on getting Windows to boot legacy in lover but if you can install in UEFI pretty easily, I would just do that.

I will re-install. I need to do it anyhow cause I accidentally installed 32bit Win7 when I want 64...

So, if you have both OSes booting with Clover do you just select which one each time clover loads? Or can you set it to automatically boot straight into a certain partition each time (but with a manual override like chimera). How can I do that? Is that possible?

That is my last question. You have been so helpful to me getting my system running. Thank you so much. :clap: I'm going to donate a 'lil somethin to this site next once I hit send. And I will also check back and try to help anyone that I can as you have done...

Thanks again!

Uh Oh. I just re-installed Win7 (UEFI style) and now I can't boot into Clover (regardless of what boot priority I choose). The boot options in the Bios don't show the UEFI version of my SSD where yosemite is installed anymore... There is only a P0 SSD drive showing (which was my Chimera boot loader) and it won't even boot when I choose that. Gives an error about "selecting a proper boot device"

However I do know my Yosemite installation is still on the disk. If I boot from my Yosemite USB recovery stick I get Clover and then I can choose my yosemite partition and boot into it.

Any ideas what that UEFI Win7 64bit install did? And how to correct it? During the very beginning of the install I remember getting some message about a partition table not being the correct type or something. I had to delete and format the Windows SSD a couple times before it worked.

I thought I was almost finished. Darn... :banghead: Any ideas? :?:

Uh Oh. I just re-installed Win7 (UEFI style) and now I can't boot into Clover (regardless of what boot priority I choose). The boot options in the Bios don't show the UEFI version of my SSD where yosemite is installed anymore... There is only a P0 SSD drive showing (which was my Chimera boot loader) and it won't even boot when I choose that. Gives an error about "selecting a proper boot device"

However I do know my Yosemite installation is still on the disk. If I boot from my Yosemite USB recovery stick I get Clover and then I can choose my yosemite partition and boot into it.

Any ideas what that UEFI Win7 64bit install did? And how to correct it? During the very beginning of the install I remember getting some message about a partition table not being the correct type or something. I had to delete and format the Windows SSD a couple times before it worked.

I thought I was almost finished. Darn... :banghead: Any ideas? :?:

Boot into the Yosemite SSD with the help of your bootable USB and re install CLOVER.
Or make a custom boot entry for "/EFI/BOOT/BOOTX64.efi" in your BIOS (If the option available in your BIOS).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back