Graphics
Onboard GA-Z97X-UD7
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Can anyone help me? Not sure where to go from here...

After a few days of reading and trying I finally got a working install of OS X 10.10.2 on my GA-Z97X-UD7/i7-4790k/SSD build using Unibeast USB stick, Multibeast and Chimera. But I couldn't get iMessage and Facetime to work properly so all my reading here indicated I would need to install using Clover.

So here I am. Trying to reinstall OS X 10.10.2 using Clover. I still have the Chimera install on the SSD and I was just planning to reformat that drive once I got in the installer using the Clover USB stick. I have left my BIOS settings as I had them set to get the Chimera install working well.

I followed the guide at the beginning of this thread to the letter and my machine wouldn't boot at all. Just a black screen. Then I found the post linked below and after changing my USB clover installation settings to "Install for UEFI Booting Only" I was finally able to get into my boot selection screen. Since I still have the original install on my SSD I see the normal OSX icon first (if I select that it boots into my old install). If I hit a button then I can see and select the "Install OS X Yosemite" option. When I choose that it goes to the boot screen and then I get the attached panic message. I have tried using the boot flags that I had to use to get the original Chimera install going (GraphicsEnabler=No, PCIRootUID=1, maxmem=4096) but nothing gets me past this error:

: "Pr
ocess 1 exec of /sbin/launchd failed, errno 2"@SourceCache/xnu/xnu-2782.10.72/bsd/kern/kern_exec.c:4060 ...

I have have no idea where to go from here. Any recommendations? Anything I'm doing wrong? I feel like I'm close:

Other post where I found alternate Clover settings for USB stick: [Success!] Snbd889's Video Editing Build: Core i7-4790k - GA-Z97X-UD5H - 16GB CORSAIR VENGENANCE RAM - EVGA GTX 760

***But I have not attempted to create or use an SSDT.aml file

Thanks for in advance for eveyone's help
:)

Last edited by a moderator:
You don't need to re install using clover to get iMessage working, you just need to switch to clover as your boot loader.

As you say this:

Since I still have the original install on my SSD I see the normal OSX icon first (if I select that it boots into my old install).

seems like it should be pretty simple for you to switch to clover was your boot loader.

OK. Not really sure how to do that. I was just going to start fresh to make it simpler.

I am new to Clover so I don't really understand how it works very well.

If I can't get the installer to boot using clover on a USB drive then I'm not sure I can get the OS to boot with Clover on my SSD.

But I'm all ears if you have suggestions...

Starting fresh probably isn't simpler as you already have a working install.

When you boot from your clover USB, can you then select your old install and get it to boot? If you can then it should be simple to install clover to your original install and use that to boot.

Starting fresh probably isn't simpler as you already have a working install.

When you boot from your clover USB, can you then select your old install and get it to boot? If you can then it should be simple to install clover to your original install and use that to boot.

Yes. When I set my bios to boot with USB as highest priority I believe my machine is booting using Clover. I get the normal boot selection screen (that looks just like Chimera) and it shows my original "Yosemite" installation. If I do nothing it boots into Yosemite properly (although I haven't yet checked how well the OS functions afterwards). But if I interrupt by pushing any button during the boot selection screen it shows the "Install OS X Yosemite" option in addition to the original "Yosemite" installation. If I choose the "Install OS X Yosemite" that's when I get the error above.

I didn't realize I could just change the boot loader without changing the OS install. That will be simpler! :banghead:

Can you please make sure I understand the steps to do that?

Can I just open the Clover package and install it to the original "Yosemite" partition on my SSD? (following the steps in the guide but WITHOUT changing the install location to the USB) Is that all that needs to be done to switch the boot loader to Clover? Or do I have to remove or override Chimera somehow? Will the Clover install take care of that?

Thanks a lot for your help. Sorry for the newb questions :confused:

If it looks exactly like the chimera boot screen then your not booting using clover, its still chimera.

Doen't sound like you are actually booting of a clover USB.

If it looks exactly like the chimera boot screen then your not booting using clover, its still chimera.

Doen't sound like you are actually booting of a clover USB.

Once again defbref you were correct. I wasn't booting into Clover... I had no idea what it was supposed to look like until now...
NOW I am making some progress :D

I read somewhere that Clover can be picky about what USB port you use and it is related to power requirements. All along I thought I was booting into Clover because I was getting the "Install OS X Yosemite" I wasn't because Clover wasn't reading the USB on the front panel of my case. When I moved the USB stick to a port on the rear of my case it booted into Clover :headbang:

Once I got that far I decided to abort because of what you were saying about simply changing boot loaders.

So now that I know I can boot into Clover:

"Can I just open the Clover package and install it to the original "Yosemite" partition on my SSD? (following the steps in the Tonymacx86 Clover/Yosemite guide but WITHOUT changing the install location to the USB) Is that all that needs to be done to switch the boot loader to Clover? Or do I have to remove or override Chimera somehow? Will the Clover install take care of that? "

Thanks a lot for your assistance. You have really helped me make some progress now...

Once again defbref you were correct. I wasn't booting into Clover... I had no idea what it was supposed to look like until now...
NOW I am making some progress :D

I read somewhere that Clover can be picky about what USB port you use and it is related to power requirements. All along I thought I was booting into Clover because I was getting the "Install OS X Yosemite" I wasn't because Clover wasn't reading the USB on the front panel of my case. When I moved the USB stick to a port on the rear of my case it booted into Clover :headbang:

Once I got that far I decided to abort because of what you were saying about simply changing boot loaders.

So now that I know I can boot into Clover:

"Can I just open the Clover package and install it to the original "Yosemite" partition on my SSD? (following the steps in the Tonymacx86 Clover/Yosemite guide but WITHOUT changing the install location to the USB) Is that all that needs to be done to switch the boot loader to Clover? Or do I have to remove or override Chimera somehow? Will the Clover install take care of that? "

Thanks a lot for your assistance. You have really helped me make some progress now...

I was not actually clear above. Once I got into Clover I selected the "Install OS X Yosemite" usb partition. The OS X installer took awhile but after 1-2 minutes it booted and gave me all the normal OS X installation options. That's when I shutdown...

What happens if you select your ssd install when using clover? If we get that to boot and everything working, its pretty simple to install clover onto your ssd and copy the working config.plist from your usb.

What happens if you select your ssd install when using clover? If we get that to boot and everything working, its pretty simple to install clover onto your ssd and copy the working config.plist from your usb.

I just did that. And it booted into my SSD installation of Yosemite faster than it has ever booted! I am writing this from my hack now. It's been a good 20-30 minutes runtime and everything seems to be working fairly well. No freezes like I had before either...

And could my machine be running better and more efficiently than before? It seems extra snappy. I am one happy camper :lol:

All seems well except the sound. I think I just need to add the correct audio kext.

Now I'd like to install clover on the SSD. Do I just open the package and install it to the SSD using the same settings? Then copy and paste the config.plist from my USB to the correct location on the SSD (or is that even necessary if I use the same settings?

Do I need to do anything with Chimera? Delete or uninstall it? Or just leave it be?

Thanks again :headbang:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back