Contribute
Register

Issue with the USB 3.0 chip (renesas)

Status
Not open for further replies.
There is a more recent version (1.0.9) of the LaCie driver for Renesas 720200 available than the one found in MB 4 (v1.0.8).

You can get it here:
http://www.lacie.com/more/index.htm?id=10112

Seems to detect both USB 3.0 controllers of my GA-P67-UD4-B3 using Mountain Lion. Other issues like with the CalDigit driver (disappearing USB devices, no VMware Fusion compatibility) did not show up for me. Also I found no console error messages.

The downside: It works with LaCie external USB drives only. The older version from MB 4 was patched to not deny USB devices from other manufacturers.

To sum it up: Someone needs to patch the new 1.0.9 driver from LaCie. This will enable the Renesas controller found on many LGA1155 boards and expansion cards.

i will give it a try!

The Lacie driver worked fine for me for my USB stick, while my hdd did no show up in sys profiler.

i´ll give a pic of the console/sys profiler, so maybe this might be useful to anyone.

Attachments

• USB pic tonymac.tiff
    1.2 MB · Views: 277
I have a H55M-USB3 and the USB3 kext in MB5 didn't do anything for me. Super-speed showed up in System Profiler but nothing attached to the ports worked. The Lacie driver linked above works and Super-speed again shows up in the System Profiler and both hard drives and USB stick attached show up, but they are listed as High-speed instead of Super-speed. Verbose bootup shows messages that it detects the devices are not Lacie. This works OK for me since I dual boot with Windows and now don't have to swap ports if I want to see the drives in OSX, even though they are slower. Seems like a hacked Lacie kext would be the way to go with this board.

i will give it a try!

The Lacie driver worked fine for me for my USB stick, while my hdd did no show up in sys profiler.

i´ll give a pic of the console/sys profiler, so maybe this might be useful to anyone.

As you can clearly see, the driver actually works but denies devices from other manufacturers than LaCie.
The USB Pen Drive you are using has Vendor ID 1f75 (Innostor). As it is USB 2.0 only the driver works with your Renesas controller. This is by the way the only way I know to make any use of the controller together with Mountain Lion. The CalDigit driver did not even provide USB 2.0 functionality for me using 10.8.

I assume your HDD is an USB 3.0 SuperSpeed device. This is the reason why it does not work. The driver limits this advanced functionality to LaCie manufactured gear.

For further reading see these pages:

http://legacy.tonymacx86.com/viewtopic.php?p=49594
http://blog.fosketts.net/2010/11/05/lacie-usb-30-driver-mac-osx-troubleshooting/
http://www.osx86.net/view/612-usb_3.0_lacie_kext_patched_by_modbin!.html

Modbin, please patch the driver again!

As you can clearly see, the driver actually works but denies devices from other manufacturers than LaCie.
The USB Pen Drive you are using has Vendor ID 1f75 (Innostor). As it is USB 2.0 only the driver works with your Renesas controller. This is by the way the only way I know to make any use of the controller together with Mountain Lion. The CalDigit driver did not even provide USB 2.0 functionality for me using 10.8.

I assume your HDD is an USB 3.0 SuperSpeed device. This is the reason why it does not work. The driver limits this advanced functionality to LaCie manufactured gear.

As i clearly could see my pen drive is a superspeed device ;) and is working fine...
Both are from the same manufacturer (see post #1, i started this thread), called CnMemory. Both worked fine in 10.7 as ss-device.

After a closer look to sys profiler it shows a different vendor ID:
External HDD:

Kapazität: 1,5 TB (1.500.301.910.016 Byte)
Wechselmedien: Ja
Absteckbares Laufwerk: Ja
BSD-Name: disk4
Produkt-ID: 0x55aa
Hersteller-ID: 0x174c (ASMedia Technology Inc.)
Version: 1.00

Geschwindigkeit: Bis zu 480 MBit/s
Hersteller: 234567890123460000000000000000000000000000
Standort-ID: 0x1a140000 / 4

ie the pen drive:

PenDrive:

Kapazität: 16,19 GB (16.190.013.440 Byte)
Wechselmedien: Ja
Absteckbares Laufwerk: Ja
BSD-Name: disk3
Produkt-ID: 0x0902
Hersteller-ID: 0x1f75 (Innostor Co., Ltd.)
Version: a.00
Seriennummer: 902100000000000000000000000
Geschwindigkeit: Bis zu 480 MBit/s
Hersteller: Innostor
Standort-ID: 0xdc300000 / 2

and this was activated by LaCie 1.0.8

no change at all with LaCie 1.0.9

So this driver doesn´t seem support only LaCie Products; or Innostor got something to do with them...
Or is this just by chance.

nutman155,

your posted sys profiler screenshot holds the answer.

Your SuperSpeed pen drive was not detected as such device. Instead it was mounted using USB 2.0 fallback. You can see this at the speed parameter. While your screenshot shows 480 MBit/s, a SuperSpeed device connected to a native USB 3.0 controller should show 5 Gbit/s.

I found this to happen not just for OS X Lion with Renesas Controller and LaCie 1.0.8, but for Windows 7 with native Nec Renesas drivers as well. Even a 2012 MacBook Pro with native Intel USB 3.0 host controller sometimes mounts devices just at USB 2.0 speed. Depending on the connectors used, the SuperSpeed devices are more or less reliably detected as such.

So again: Yes, your pen drive works. This is good to know as LaCie 1.0.9 makes the Renesas controller (in comparison to CalDigit) at least a bit useful. Yes, it may be a SuperSpeed device. But no, it does not operate in SuperSpeed mode at the Renesas controller. If you had a stable USB 3.0 connection between the pen drive and your mainboard it would not be mounted at all.

SUCCESS!!!!!!!!!!!!!! SORRY NO SUCCESS

I was at the stage that the Super speed bus showed; but, drives were not recognized in my StarTech USB 3.0 Docking Station. Renasas chip ending in F1. Just updated to 10.8.1 thru the applestore update. After restart, the usb info didn't change; BUT, the drives showed up on the desk top once I turned them on or slide them in and out. HOORRAH for apple.

. ....After a restart, back to previous states. So must be intermittent!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Bummer Dude.

I can't tell what changed, sorry.

I have not tried the firmware upgrade but I did buy that pci-e card with two USB ports and it finally arrived.

I put it in and with the drivers from multibeast, it works like a charm! I get about 110MB/s.

It's an asmedia chip.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back