Contribute
Register

Issue with the USB 3.0 chip (renesas)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't touch the DP3 drivers, they really don't help in our experience.

There's no OOB USB 3.0 card if that's what you're asking, your best bet is ASMedia or the older NEC controller. Clearly some work is still needed on the drivers to make sure they work better, so on Mountain Lion at the moment, it appears to be a bit hit and miss. Some people have managed to get the old LaCie driver working on their systems, but we've had no luck with that.

I just purchased every 3.0 card that Microcenter had and worked through them one by one (6 total). Well, I found one that works (!) with the USB 3.0 kexts (CalDigit) installed on Multibeast 5.0.2 under ML. Did not use LaCie driver or PHXCD. So far, works 100%. Tried with several different 3.0 devices as all good, no disconnect and didn't affect my sleep.

It has Asmedia chip BTW. All the other cards had Renesis or NEC chip which would show up in devices, but would not connect any devices.

http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0382275

I just purchased every 3.0 card that Microcenter had and worked through them one by one (6 total). Well, I found one that works (!) with the USB 3.0 kexts (CalDigit) installed on Multibeast 5.0.2 under ML. Did not use LaCie driver or PHXCD. So far, works 100%. Tried with several different 3.0 devices as all good, no disconnect and didn't affect my sleep.

It has NEC chip BTW. All the other cards had Renesis or Asmedia chip which would show up in devices, but would not connect any devices.

http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0382275

wow, that sounds awesome. Thanks for doing this. I'm going to try that card and see what happens. If this works, you are super awesome. See the thing is, I have 2 usb 3.0 drives that i use and they are so fast, then I had to go back to 2.0 and the speeds were frustrating me. I really depend on those drives so if this works, wow. AWESOME.

I feel the same way, etherealglimpse. I'm about done with this.

- Coolz

I feel ya bro, but we have to hang together. Another member posted a card that works for him, im biting the bullet and geting it also and hopefully it works. If they fix the issue later, I'll have 4 USB 3.0 maybe, that would be sweet. Going to try it. We'll see if the speeds hold up.

It's not the card that's specific, it's the chip, look for cards with the old NEC chip as that's really the ones the LaCie, CalDigit and what not drivers have been written for.

remember... while installing ML... u should copy the kext files from Lion to ur unibeast usb drive
for instance u want ur usb 3 to work.. just copy and paste the kext into ur unibeast usb and do a fresh install... For me the usb 3 is working as i have plugged my ssd in usb port and also my usb 3 is working fine.... hope this might help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back