Contribute
Register

Is the ASUS STRIX GTX 960 ready for our hackintosh builds?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I got mine working with the Web Drivers. The Default drivers caused slowness and drawing issues. re-downloading games now :D (I was working with HD 4000 before)

word to the wise: If you had no card installed like me (or maybe even if you did) get the nvidia Cuda drivers and Webdrivers first, install them and then put the card in. Boot/Kernel flags did nothing for me so I had to take it out and do that part. If you get the slowness/drawing issues like I did open the OSX System prefs and in the Nvidia Panel make sure the Web Drivers are checked and not the Defaults. This could be basic *derp* level info, but I got so excited I just plugged it in and expected to go.

Thank you for this information. I am about to place an order for my parts and I'm ordering the Asus gtx 960 strix I am glad there is success and I am definitely going to do the install with the on board graphics first and then loading the Web drivers and Cuda first then putting it in. Is there any boot flag I need after I install?

Here is my post. Anyone willing to look and kick some feed back would be great. I am going to edit and clean up my post as well.

http://www.tonymacx86.com/yosemite-...7mx-gaming-5-i5-4460-gtx-960-first-build.html

Hi there,

The Strix version of this card - in Windows - has the 0db option. No fans running unless the temperature hits a user set threshold, for example 65 degrees. Does this work in a Hack as well? Could I dual boot in to windows and set the 0db option, return to OS X and get the same silent experience? Or are the fans solely bios controlled?

Hi there,

The Strix version of this card - in Windows - has the 0db option. No fans running unless the temperature hits a user set threshold, for example 65 degrees. Does this work in a Hack as well? Could I dual boot in to windows and set the 0db option, return to OS X and get the same silent experience? Or are the fans solely bios controlled?

If somebody could make a kext for that I would surely pay up!

I do agree as well. I am getting my Strix card soon and I would hope the fans will work in the hack portion. I don't mind the only on when needed thing. As long as it works. It would be nice to have it off when not needed though. but not a deal breaker for me.

GTX960: 0db working on hackintosh/windowsosh & linuxosh.... fans are hardware driven.

In my hackintosh, i got:

- Asus strix GTX960 (0db till gpu temp >60°)
- seasonic powersupply (0db till charge >30%)
- only SSDs (0db)
- a Corsair H110 CPU watercooling kit for my i7-4790k (28 to 33°c in IDLE, 64° max)

And my almost silent config is ruined by this damned Bluray drive witch is spanning or warming up every.... 30secs / 1 minute.

To help in my quest for SILENCE, anyone got a trick to make the drive quiet for good ? (apart unpluging...)

Teo

I get error when trying to open NVIDIA Driver Manager. I can boot, but only in safe mode.

I'd like to buy a ASUS GTX 960 too. Is it better to boot from MOBO gnu, install CUDA and web drivers (where do I find the web drivers? I only found CUDA) then switch off, install the GTX and restart?

thanks

hello Broox9 did you install OS using chimera or clover? I wonder if process for GTX 960 would be the same I am using chimera.
thanks!

I got mine working with the Web Drivers. The Default drivers caused slowness and drawing issues. re-downloading games now :D (I was working with HD 4000 before)

word to the wise: If you had no card installed like me (or maybe even if you did) get the nvidia Cuda drivers and Webdrivers first, install them and then put the card in. Boot/Kernel flags did nothing for me so I had to take it out and do that part. If you get the slowness/drawing issues like I did open the OSX System prefs and in the Nvidia Panel make sure the Web Drivers are checked and not the Defaults. This could be basic *derp* level info, but I got so excited I just plugged it in and expected to go.

Were you able to get the CUDA and Web Drivers to work? I got "not compatible with this computer" from the Web Drivers, and "installation failed" from the CUDA drivers.

I can confirm that the Asus Strix GTX 960 is compatible for hackintosh :)

How did you get the drivers to load properly? the screen comes up, but only on DVI and only if I disable the Nvidia drivers?

EDIT: I gave up with Clover, the Asus Strix is working with the standard Unibeast install - flawlessly. Only thing I had to do was disable the Nvidia Injection in Unibeast. Install the Web Drivers + Cuda. Enable the Nvidia Driver in the Chameleon plist, and reboot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back