CPU
i7-8700
Graphics
WX 4100
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I have recently purchased a Samsung 850 EVO 512GB SSD and want to replace my existing slow SSD with this one. But I read High Sierra will have native NVMe SSD support, making Hackintosh easier to install. I'm contemplating whether I should return the Samsung EVO and wait for few months to upgrade to NVMe SSD.

Existing NVMe SSD users, do you see any significant performance improvement over normal SATA SSD on day to day usage?

I can say that installing on a NVMe SSD is not difficult at all. I can't remember anything special about it. As for the performance boost .. it's hard to compare. if you are moving a lot of data around on a daily basis (video editing or instance), you might notice it.

Thanks peiterm@, if I'm correct, with Sierra you need the hacked nvme ktext to make the install work and there is little bit of work involved to make sure this doesn't' break with upgrades. I want a stable system and my current system has gone through multiple upgrade without a single hitch.

I got the SSD at a lower price so contemplating if it is worth to replace with NVMe for the little performance improvement.

I have recently purchased a Samsung 850 EVO 512GB SSD and want to replace my existing slow SSD with this one. But I read High Sierra will have native NVMe SSD support, making Hackintosh easier to install. I'm contemplating whether I should return the Samsung EVO and wait for few months to upgrade to NVMe SSD.

Existing NVMe SSD users, do you see any significant performance improvement over normal SATA SSD on day to day usage?

We know that the current beta test version of High Sierra has native NVMe support. But we don't know whether the release version of High Sierra will have similar support. Apple may decide to pull it when High Sierra is released sometime in September or October.

If I were you I would have kept the SSD.

We know that the current beta test version of High Sierra has native NVMe support. But we don't know whether the release version of High Sierra will have similar support. Apple may decide to pull it when High Sierra is released sometime in September or October.

If I were you I would have kept the SSD.
Thanks for the input.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back