Contribute
Register

Is my PC capable of being a stable Hackintosh?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
B360M DS3H
CPU
i5 8400
Graphics
GTX 1060 6GB
I'm new to hackintoshing and am looking to upgrade from my 2009 mac mini, I am in the process of buying parts for a PC build because I want something I can do gaming on and also use various windows software but I think i'd like to continue using Mac OS X, i'm pretty underwhelmed with Apple's current hardware that's available so i'm considering going the hackintosh route, perhaps having a PC with two hard drive's and SSD's I can boot from to do either OS X or Windows.
However I think that my build might not be able do Hackintoshing all that well because my motherboard i've read some people mention they've had problems with it on these forums, these are my components:

Graphics card: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1060 6GB
Motherboard: Gigabyte B360m D3H
CPU: Intel i5 8400
RAM: ADATA 8GB DDR4 2666mhz
Hard drive: 4TB Western Digital Blue
SSD: Samsung EVO 860 250GB
Optical drive: ASUS DRW-24D5MT
Power supply: Coolermaster 550W MWE 80+ bronze
Case: Cougar MX330
Fans: Coolermaster silent 120mm fans
I'd be using an ASUS dongle for the wi-fi, I believe it's an AC-56.

I'm just looking to know if anyone has any idea how this would perform in terms of compatibility and stability, I know it's maybe hard to determine because Mojave is coming out soon, perhaps i've picked a bad time to do all this but I am in desperate need of a new computer.
If there would be issues perhaps recommendations for different components?
Thanks.

Last edited:
I have also read of some people having difficulty with B360 motherboards. If it were me, I would look for a low cost Z370 motherboard as an alternative.

There are currently no Nvidia web drivers for Mojave, so the GTX 1060 won't work.

I don't have any experience with USB Wi-Fi.

USB WiFi is terrible and the dongle gets overheated quickly. PCIe WiFi cards aren’t that much more expensive for a long term product that will hold up well.
TP Link T6e $40 1300 AC WiFi. Runs native in Sierra, HS and Mojave.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back