Contribute
Register

Is everyone moving to Linux when hackintoshes become obsolete?

Status
Not open for further replies.
How many more major releases of OS X that support x86 are there going to be? Probably just 1 more after Big Sur, right?
Big Sur (11) is not OS X.

I'm hoping Apple going arm turns the whole PC industry on its head and there will be little drawback to just using a real Mac. There is just such a gaping hole in the x86 Mac lineup right now making Hackintoshing almost a necessity.

This being said, I'm extremely pro linux. I have a separate media server/kodi box running Ubuntu.

I'm hoping Apple going arm turns the whole PC industry on its head and there will be little drawback to just using a real Mac. There is just such a gaping hole in the x86 Mac lineup right now making Hackintoshing almost a necessity.

This being said, I'm extremely pro linux. I have a separate media server/kodi box running Ubuntu.
Won’t the same issues be present with the M1 macs? Ie. Limited expandability, high cost, etc? Except now we won’t have the option to build a hackintosh

Won’t the same issues be present with the M1 macs? Ie. Limited expandability, high cost, etc? Except now we won’t have the option to build a hackintosh
This is all assuming future apple silicon leaves x86 in the dust, if they allowed RAM expandability in the Mac mini (hopefully they see the error in their ways), I see little disadvantage. I really only use my GPU's full potential gaming in windows. Apple Silicon GPU's computational power seems promising. I guess we will see.

It just seems like x86's days are numbered.

I use Windows, MacOS & Linux. I like them all and have no allegiance to any of them. I'm glad that using a real Mac to run MacOS is a cost effective & pragmatic choice again. Windows will remain dominant for me in the near term because it has (by far) the most compatibility with the software I run.

I use Windows, MacOS & Linux. I like them all and have no allegiance to any of them. I'm glad that using a real Mac to run MacOS is a cost effective & pragmatic choice again. Windows will remain dominant for me in the near term because it has (by far) the most compatibility with the software I run.
I’m not sure it’s quite cost effective and pragmatic yet. We still have no reasonably priced Mac Pro or any Mac that allows expansion. We have a fast Mac mini for a reasonable price but no expandability is a major concern. Other than a great cpu, what’s really changed?

The new M1 mini shows me firsthand what the new Macs will likely be capable of. If the next iMac exceeds what I could build for around $1500, I'll buy one, get Applecare for 3 years, and then sell it for 75% of what I paid for it. Rinse repeat.
For true pro users, I'm confident that the M1 Mac Pro will run rings around the current model at the same price w/ similar configuration.
Upgrading storage is not a major concern w/ thunderbolt ports available. The only upgrade concern for me is RAM. Well that and being unable to find a mid/top tier GPU @ MSRP right now.

Besides my new Mac Mini, I built intel 10900 & 9700k x86 systems this month. I'll see in a couple of years, how things shake out. I don't expect to invest in much other new PC internal hardware during what I see as a transition period.
IMO, the future is ARM or something else even better. Intel & AMD will need to adapt to survive long term in the PC market 5-10 years from now.

No, why?

Linux with a better desktop manager will never beat macOS for simplicity and ease of use.

Hackintosh will be around until Apple and software developers stop supporting Intel CPUs. As for timeframe, use how long did Apple support the PowerPC before ending support.

As long as you can buy 3 years of AppleCare along with a new Intel Mac, Intel Macs are going to still be useable. Even after all support stops, 5ish years from now (?), a Hackintosh will still be useable for years beyond that.
My brother uses his '09 Mac Pro to this day and it hasn't been updated since 2015.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back