Contribute
Register

Is everyone moving to Linux when hackintoshes become obsolete?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well,I have the three main OS's installed,Win10,Ubuntu and Big Sur in their own SSD mounted on my Hackintosh and working with the three of them everyday. I own an iMac 27",a Macbook Pro and a Macbook Air and, if I can I will buy the new ones M1,M1X...

I feel there are two Hackintosh camps: those that use macOS and need to better control the hardware choices, and those who appreciate the OS and are gluttons for punishment at the task of researching and managing the installs and upgrades. Getting away from Nvidia sure helped, as did figuring out and switching to Opencore.

I fall into the latter camp, and make use of Linux dists and Windows almost daily. When the day comes that having an updated Hackintosh isn't a reality, then I will more than likely use Linux (currently Manjaro KDE), and Windows when I have to. (And, Linux does sometimes fill the tinkering void between Hackintosh updates).

If you're in the former group, then the software you use will dictate whether you could give up Hackintosh-ing and move to another OS or need to purchase a Mac, I would think.

Linux with a better desktop manager will never beat macOS for simplicity and ease of use.

True, but it really is whatever you can get used to. All of the DMs in Linux could use a little more elegance, IMO. But, it's always a trip to be in a Linux environment and have Wobbly Windows available.

I run 8 Linux VMs with no DM as I can do everything I want in the shell faster than I could using any DM. But I've been using UNIX/Linux since 1983, so using the shell is second nature to me. Back when I was forced to use Windows for work I used a port of vi as I hated all the Windows text editors.

Nobody other than Apple knows and they are not telling...
Maybe because they don't know neither. As of now.

I'll be staying with MacOS, probably just have far fewer machines to play around with. Right now I'm turning all the Laptops I can find into a Mac... ;-) With questionable success, I must add.

But let's assume Apple provides Updates for their Intel-based machines 5 years after they stop delivering them. That will be 2026 or so, give it a year or two. Who knows what kind of possibilities or let's call them options will be around by then. I guess Intell will bounce back by then and AMD will move forward as boldly as they can.

No one knows, the future remains to be written. As far as we're capable of anticipating the concept of time...

I feel there are two Hackintosh camps: those that use macOS and need to better control the hardware choices, and those who appreciate the OS and are gluttons for punishment at the task of researching and managing the installs and upgrades. Getting away from Nvidia sure helped, as did figuring out and switching to Opencore.

I feel the ones who are gluttons for punishment are the ones who subject themselves to the torture of Windows.

I'll be staying with MacOS, probably just have far fewer machines to play around with. Right now I'm turning all the Laptops I can find into a Mac... ;-) With questionable success, I must add.

But let's assume Apple provides Updates for their Intel-based machines 5 years after they stop delivering them. That will be 2026 or so, give it a year or two. Who knows what kind of possibilities or let's call them options will be around by then. I guess Intell will bounce back by then and AMD will move forward as boldly as they can.

No one knows, the future remains to be written. As far as we're capable of anticipating the concept of time...

The last Power Mag G5 got two Mac OS X updates.
The 2008 MacBook got three Mac OS X updates.

I don't see any reason Apple would provide five macOS updates for Intel based Macs after the last one has been discontinued.

I’ve grown tired/frustrated with getting OS X to run on my Elitebooks. There just isn’t the same reliability as running on a desktop and the whole thing feels unstable/hacked together to trust it for real work. Hence, me turning to Linux to run on my laptops.

I’ve grown tired/frustrated with getting OS X to run on my Elitebooks. There just isn’t the same reliability as running on a desktop and the whole thing feels unstable/hacked together to trust it for real work. Hence, me turning to Linux to run on my laptops.

Both my laptops run macOS great. It took a lot more work to get everything working but the end result is fantastic.

Both my laptops run macOS great. It took a lot more work to get everything working but the end result is fantastic.
I guess I am not as committed to getting everything working right. I plan to run a live Linux cr to see how it runs. It would be nice to have an OS that’s easier to update and maintain than a laptop hackintosh (I have no issues with my desktop hack).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back