Contribute
Register

Is everyone moving to Linux when hackintoshes become obsolete?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Who would have thought Chrome OS was nudging shoulders with Linux? I know it's mostly the Chromebook market but given the University pull on Linux it was a surprise.
It's primarily grade schools up through High Schools that buy up massive numbers of Chromebooks in the US. Buying them in bulk from HP, Dell and Acer or Lenovo fits in well with School boards and limited budgets. They get even lower than the low retail prices individuals can get.

It's primarily grade schools up through High Schools that buy up massive numbers of Chromebooks in the US. Buying them in bulk from HP, Dell and Acer or Lenovo fits in well with School boards and limited budgets. They get even lower than the low retail prices individuals can get.

Ah, understood. That's not common here. A few years back we, as parents, were offered special prices on 11" MSI "Netbooks" for our offspring. I bought one. It was a good introduction for my daughter, but running Microsoft Office? Like a snail. (It's long gone now but I still have the hard-drive and wireless card in my spares box :thumbup:).

Nowadays she uses her phone ...

That's really interesting.
What's even more interesting to me. What percentage of the that 17.1% is macOS running on a hackintosh ? 2% or 5% or possibly even more ? I'd like to know that. I'm sure that Apple already does. We'll never know and have accurate numbers on that.

What's even more interesting to me. What percentage of the that 17.1% is macOS running on a hackintosh ? 2% or 5% or possibly even more ? I'd like to know that. I'm sure that Apple already does. We'll never know and have accurate numbers on that.

Yes, that's something I feel people can be a little naïve about. Of course Apple can pull up data on the number of non-Apple machines running their OS. They are one of the largest tech companies and have expertise and resources most governments would covet. Given quite a few of the complaints we see hereabouts are about the data Apple collects everytime we open an app, why wouldn't they be able to? We may know a trick or two, but we're not that clever.

These stats are for December 2020. MS Windows is losing desktop market share to macOS. It used to have over 95% and now it's down to 76.5 percent. What's going to happen when people figure out the M series chips outperform anything that Intel is currently making ? As Apple keeps giving better CPU/SoC performance at lower prices maybe they'll gain even more market share from Microsoft ? I think this is due to the halo effect of so many people using iPhones and iPads. They get frustrated with their old and slow Windows desktop and replace it with a MBA or Mac mini. The sub 800 dollar desktop/laptop market is where Apple will get the most Mac sales. Maybe they'll even revive the Macbook laptops and sell those for $699.

View attachment 503797

It's been a long time since I paid any attention to Mac market share. I think the last time I looked it was well under 10%. It's nice to see such an improvement.

The new M1 Mac mini has been staying in the top 3 best selling deskops at Amazon lately. What would you rather have for a pre-built desktop ? A 550 dollar Acer Aspire or the new Mac mini for 670 dollars ? For anyone that's used macOS before that's an easy choice to make. For Windows users that switch, Apple wins another long term customer. Was a good idea to ship the new Mini as one of the first ASi Macs.

View attachment 503801

I hope Apple sees what offering a relatively reasonably priced Mac can do. Hopefully, designing their own CPUs reduces costs enough for them to maintain margins and keep prices reasonable.

I don't mind Linux and I use it on quite a few devices regularly. However, my personal preference for desktop GUI is still Finder. I'm a creature of habit and after consistently having "File Edit View..." in the upper left corner for decades, I just expect it to be there all the time. I'm also far more comfortable with macOS. I know where to look for things in System and/or Library, System Preferences, etc. There are quite a few skins that try to make Linux "look" like macOS but it isn't because files are not in the same place and the file structure is completely different.

While Linux itself can be every bit as stable as macOS, it just isn't as polished as macOS. When installing apps, it's great when everything works but, far too often, I've come across issues where they didn't and then it just led me down rabbit holes from which it takes me hours or days to climb out of before I find a fix or give up trying.

I have a tendency to use Linux more like an appliance. I have it running on specific devices to do a single purpose and nothing more. For example, I have had a Pi Zero W running Pi-Hole 24/7 for well over a year and it has been fantastic. My NAS which is also Linux based has been running 24/7 for about 5 years. Again, fantastic. However, I would be afraid to try and run too many things off a single device for fear of breaking something. To be fair, this is probably due to my own inexperience with Linux but I don't have these fears when using macOS.
You bring up an excellent point. My only expose to Linux has been various single use raspberry pi setups and NAS. Never as a desktop environment where I would have to be responsible for ensuring various apps run correctly. I am not looking to deal with constant headaches of tracking down why various apps/drivers/etc are not functioning.
Perhaps I should re-examine installing an Opencore setup on my laptops. Maybe it will be worth the headaches getting them running right if I can count on them working fine after that.

I've been on Linux desktop for the past year and I personally like the experience MORE than macos (but I would definitely not expect that to be true for everybody). One of the many things about Linux is that there are so many "flavors" of it to choose from (this is one of its advantages AND disadvantages) that your mileage can vary quite a lot. The major plus, though, is that you really can setup the operating system you want. As an example, pastrychef mentioned, earlier, missing the File/Edit/View toolbar. I have exactly that on my setup (I use KDE Plasma as my desktop environment and that feature is easily added with a built in tweak - the toolbar context switches with your active apps, exactly the way it does in macos).

However (and to one of pastrychef's other points) I think, no matter how you shake it, Linux requires more upfront work than Mac or Windows for intermediate skill level computer tasks (things like disk management, network setup, etc.). There are also lots of basic, automated niceties (an example off the top of my head, automatically placing a shortcut to a mounted USB drive on your desktop as soon as you plug in the drive) that not all flavors of Linux will reproduce out of the box (although, in my experience, you can almost always find a way to recreate it yourself with out too much skill level). Most of the major distros and desktop environments have made the basics pretty straightforward these days (email, file browsing, web browsing, app installation, etc. - see my note/caveat "*" to app installation below) and the advanced stuff well, that's where Linux really shines. Once setup, however, things feel as effortless to me now as they did in my macos days, and I have discovered a whole host of features that make me work faster and make the experience more enjoyable.

I have had my share of glitches/problems to contend with (but I wouldn't say more than I did with macos or Windows, certainly not more than Hackintosh) but there is something odd I have found about troubleshooting Linux. For me, now that I have gained some experience, it's far less frustrating than it was when I was contending with the other "Big 2" operating systems. Sure there isn't quite the same level of google hits for common problems, sure I have to dig into the command line ... but the information I do find gives me a deeper understanding of what is going wrong (and for uncommon problems, the information, anecdotally, seems actually easier to obtain) and the requirement to frequently delve into the command line has, in the long run, given me much more power to actually fix problems. To add to that, the whole philosophy of Linux is to let you have access and control over your operating system. To use a hardware analogy to stand in for a software problem: things are not hidden in tight corners under boxes with proprietary fasteners, and, when not necessary, swap-able components are not soldered to the motherboard. It makes fixing some problems a lot more straight forward.

All of this is to say that, yes, I think that, for many, there is an initial investment in time that will remain a barrier to the attractiveness of Linux, and that's just the reality of it. Linux (as it stands now) is not likely to be the best choice for the majority of people. However, if your ok with the initial investment in time (and, like many hackintoshers, actually enjoy getting your virtual hands a little dirty here and there), I still stand by the notion that it can provide an experience that can beat macos and Windows.

(*Application installation: Now a days, this is frequently as easy and straight forward as installing an app from the Apple store, however... in the Linux world you do have to contend with two main things:
  • A lot of your natural software choices are Open Source projects
    • Open Source projects can be maintained by anything as varied as a big, multinational organization (profit or non-profit) to a lone 10 year old learning to code
  • The Linux world is diverse, fragmented, and open
    • for software installation this primarily means that the dependent software tools an application expects to already be on your system when you install it may or may not actually be there (or they may not be the right version). Not all software developers (especially the more obscure, one guy in his basement, developers) are willing/able to automate their installation process to the extent needed to get around this.
    • This has been a long standing problem and the Linux community has made major strides to fix it. There are several new application paradigms being widely adopted to directly tackle this problem (however because it is an open ecosystem, we are currently watching these different solutions battle each other for supremacy - both a downside: fragmentation, and an upside: choice and competition).

Last edited:
REVISION: This past month of having spent a lot of time on Windows has only made me appreciate Linux more and more. It's the little things and the big things. Windows will do but I'm, currently, less enthusiastic about my statement below, that Windows is "not a bad experience at all".

ORIGINAL POST:
To throw a wrench at my last post, I'll say something else. Some of my work (mainly work where I have to share project files with clients) requires me to jump back to Adobe software. Depending on the involvement of the work I'll either fire up a virtual Windows machine with Virtual Box, or I'll boot my computer to Windows. I have to say, Windows 10 has come a long way. It's not a bad experience at all. While I most definitely still prefer my time in Linux, I think that, for a lot of people (who don't want to be locked into Apple's ecosystem and hardware design choices - brilliant as they sometimes are - restrictive as they increasingly seem to be), Windows may be worth another look. I guess it depends on your reasoning for shunning Windows but if, like me, it was mainly about the experience, you might be pleasantly surprised.

This is not to say that I will be switching from Linux to Windows as my daily driver in any foreseeable future (Linux remains more flexible and enjoyable to me), but, if I had no choice, I wouldn't be nearly as upset as I once would and I think, if I'm honest, I could easily learn to enjoy it.

Last edited:
I am not looking to deal with constant headaches of tracking down why various apps/drivers/etc are not functioning.
Anecdotally, I haven't had more problems with this than I ever did on Windows or Mac. I really haven't struggled much at all with driver issues (although, granted, I am running Linux on a desktop tower - one that I throw lots of PCIe cards into, but still not a laptop - although, I have read, that the laptop driver struggle has gotten a lot easier over the past 5 years and, on top of that, the likes of Dell and Lenovo are now shipping laptops with Linux as the officially installed OS). As for software problems, I haven't run into that many. When I have had problems, they have usually seemed easier to fix on Linux than they did on Windows and Mac. That's not to say that I didn't have some major rabbit holes to crawl through but that was always true for me on Mac and Windows as well. In the long run, the overwhelming majority of my time invested has been in learning and customization, rather than troubleshooting.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back