Contribute
Register

Is everyone moving to Linux when hackintoshes become obsolete?

Status
Not open for further replies.
With that said, do you run opencore as a boot loader for your laptop? I experienced a lot of difficulty getting it running with clover about a year or so ago and gave up and never used opencore. I’m wondering if opencore provides a better experience on with laptops.

With that said, do you run opencore as a boot loader for your laptop? I experienced a lot of difficulty getting it running with clover about a year or so ago and gave up and never used opencore. I’m wondering if opencore provides a better experience on with laptops.

I have both Clover and OpenCore working on both my laptops. Once booted, I can't tell which bootloader was used.

I feel the ones who are gluttons for punishment are the ones who subject themselves to the torture of Windows.
And that's the truth. Windows is just a collection of inconsistencies legacy stuff coupled with someone's idea of forward-thinking features. A real lack of direction, because they're now a cloud company.

At least when using Linux distributions you can better control your own environment.

To answer the thread question:

No. I'm here because I run OS X and macOS and love it.

I do use Linux when the wind is in a favourable direction, but just for the educational value and to keep some skills going. Day to day it's been Apple since 2001.

:)

To answer the thread question:

No. I'm here because I run OS X and macOS and love it.

I do use Linux when the wind is in a favourable direction, but just for the educational value and to keep some skills going. Day to day it's been Apple since 2001.

i do love macOS

but, windows does a better job of multi monitor setup

i do love macOS

but, windows does a better job of multi monitor setup

I had a nice office of my own once where I could do such interesting things. Then the kids came along and I was evicted. Now, wherever I lay my hat (mouse) is my home... Sigh!

o_O

And that's the truth. Windows is just a collection of inconsistencies legacy stuff coupled with someone's idea of forward-thinking features. A real lack of direction, because they're now a cloud company.

At least when using Linux distributions you can better control your own environment.

I don't mind Linux and I use it on quite a few devices regularly. However, my personal preference for desktop GUI is still Finder. I'm a creature of habit and after consistently having "File Edit View..." in the upper left corner for decades, I just expect it to be there all the time. I'm also far more comfortable with macOS. I know where to look for things in System and/or Library, System Preferences, etc. There are quite a few skins that try to make Linux "look" like macOS but it isn't because files are not in the same place and the file structure is completely different.

While Linux itself can be every bit as stable as macOS, it just isn't as polished as macOS. When installing apps, it's great when everything works but, far too often, I've come across issues where they didn't and then it just led me down rabbit holes from which it takes me hours or days to climb out of before I find a fix or give up trying.

I have a tendency to use Linux more like an appliance. I have it running on specific devices to do a single purpose and nothing more. For example, I have had a Pi Zero W running Pi-Hole 24/7 for well over a year and it has been fantastic. My NAS which is also Linux based has been running 24/7 for about 5 years. Again, fantastic. However, I would be afraid to try and run too many things off a single device for fear of breaking something. To be fair, this is probably due to my own inexperience with Linux but I don't have these fears when using macOS.

These stats are for December 2020. MS Windows is losing desktop market share to macOS. It used to have over 95% and now it's down to 76.5 percent. What's going to happen when people figure out the M series chips outperform anything that Intel is currently making ? As Apple keeps giving better CPU/SoC performance at lower prices maybe they'll gain even more market share from Microsoft ? I think this is due to the halo effect of so many people using iPhones and iPads. They get frustrated with their old and slow Windows desktop and replace it with a MBA or Mac mini. The sub 800 dollar desktop/laptop market is where Apple will get the most Mac sales. Maybe they'll even revive the Macbook laptops and sell those for $699.

Screen Shot 6.jpg

Last edited:
These stats are for December 2020. MS Windows is losing desktop market share to macOS. It used to have over 95% and now it's down to 76.5 percent. What's going to happen when people figure out the M series chips outperform anything that Intel is currently making ? As Apple keeps giving better CPU/SoC performance at lower prices maybe they'll gain even more market share from Microsoft ?

View attachment 503797

That's really interesting. Who would have thought Chrome OS was nudging shoulders with Linux? I know it's mostly the Chromebook market but given the University pull on Linux it was a surprise.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I seem to recall back in 2005 with the PowerPC to Intel switch, Apple had a relatively low desktop sales in comparison to anyone else, but now it is something an order of magnitude greater (10x? 100x?). Slowly but surely people have realised how much better the overall OS X / macOS ecosphere is, haloed by the sale of iPhone of course.

Does Apple want to ramp up Apple Silicon production to any great extent, or keep it "local" to their machines? I say this because if Microsoft were allowed to create an Apple Silicon version of Windows ...

The new M1 Mac mini has been staying in the top 3 best selling deskops at Amazon lately. What would you rather have for a pre-built desktop ? A 550 dollar Acer Aspire or the new Mac mini for 670 dollars ? For anyone that's used macOS before that's an easy choice to make. For Windows users that switch, Apple wins another long term customer. Was a good idea to ship the new Mini as one of the first ASi Macs.

Screen Shot 9.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back