Contribute
Register

Internal Hard drive showing external

Status
Not open for further replies.
One thing to keep in mind - with some mobos the SATA ports support hot swap capability and this will cause your internal discs to show up as external simply because they are "removable".

This is NOT a bad thing, this can actually indicate your system is detecting your storage chip correctly and is supporting the full features of same.

Check the manual for your mobo -> storage section and if you see that hot swap capability is supported then your internal discs WILL show up as external since they are "removable".

If this causes problems w/ your SATA Optical Drive you should try moving it to a different set of SATA ports on the mobo.

Very useful information that i didn't know of.
Thank you for sharing !

Could this be it?, I'm new to hackintosh with a fairly old system but it's running ML beautifully.
Ga-p35-ds3l with Q6600/9600GT and 4GB Corsair RAM. The only thing I noticed like people said here is my boot drive and every other drive
has location: external in disk utility. I do have a how swap bay in my Zalman GS1000 case could this be it?

go with option 2 because this is the only fix for now.. ioblockstorage.... is cosmetics.
third option is efi string if you don't wanna touch dsdt

<!-- SATA properties -->
<key>PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x1F,0x2)</key>
<dict>
<key>device-id</key>
<integer>0x80862681</integer>
</dict>

Probably a dumb question, but does the EFI edit go into the chameleon boot plist? If not can you please direct me as to where it needs to go? I can't get rid of the orange icon problem either. I have tried everything except the EFI edit.

AHCI_3rdParty_SATA.kext (from 3rd Party SATA in MultiBeast 5.2.1) partially solved the problem for me. At least now my SSD boot drive shows up as Removable Media No. But my second storage drive is still Removable Media Yes.

The funny thing is that I don't think I actually have 3rd Party SATA (my board is a GA-Z68A-D3H-B3). But I guess that doesn't matter.

Adding this to my Boot.plist in /Extra fixed the drive problem AND speeded up my boot time from 30 seconds to 10 seconds.

<key>Kernel Flags</key>
<string>darkwake=0 debug=8 ahcidisk=1</string>

I got this fix from this thread: http://www.tonymacx86.com/mountain-lion-desktop-support/61654-mountain-lion-slower-boot-times-5.html

I'm not sure why it worked, but it was an easy fix and it killed two birds with one stone. Nice.

Thank you so much for this! I don't know what settings they changed either but adding it also had the same two affects on my build. Load time is significantly shorter and my SATA drives now appear as internal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back