Contribute
Register

Internal Hard drive showing external

Status
Not open for further replies.
The problem for me is that I have never installed the IOAHCIBlockStorage kext and have had the AHCI 3rd Party SATA kext installed from the get-go. I have EXACTLY the same setup I had in Lion. In Lion everything was working as it should, but not in ML.

The problem for me is that I have never installed the IOAHCIBlockStorage kext and have had the AHCI 3rd Party SATA kext installed from the get-go. I have EXACTLY the same setup I had in Lion. In Lion everything was working as it should, but not in ML.

I also was previously on lion with an i3-2105 processor with the same hardware with no issues. Then I upgraded my processor to a i7-3770k and installed Mountain Lion via unibeast method and began having this issue. I tried the orangeiconfix.kext this caused kernel panic on 10.8.1 Mountain Lion, I attempted a DSDT edit failure on my DSDT editing part. I used the original tonymac database DSDT for my MOBO, just edited the section for orange icon fix and had kernel panics. And yes I compiled and verified DSDT had no errors or warnings??
I am having the same issue, if I boot with -f (ignore caches) my hard drives show Removable Media=no and so does my LG Blue-ray burner. But a normal boot shows hard drives as external Removable Media=yes and LG Blue-ray drive is labeled unknown. Any help is greatly appreciated.

I wouldn't recommend touching kext files. The minimum kext changes = lesser post installation.
And sometimes updating to the latest OS may roll back.

Option 1: Make sure you check the option IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector in Multibeast.
or
Option 2: Put these codes in the DSDT file using DSDT Editor (codes are from Olarila website).

Code:
# Change ID of SATA device to fake ESB2 AHCI (silver icons for internal HDs instead of orange ones)
#
into method label _DSM parent_adr 0x001F0002 remove_entry;
into device name_adr 0x001F0002 insert
begin
Method (_DSM, 4, NotSerialized)\n
{\n
    Store (Package (0x02)\n
        {\n
            "device-id", \n
            Buffer (0x04)\n
            {\n
                0x81, 0x26, 0x00, 0x00\n
            }\n
        }, Local0)\n
    DTGP (Arg0, Arg1, Arg2, Arg3, RefOf (Local0))\n
    Return (Local0)\n
}
end

Hope this helps.

go with option 2 because this is the only fix for now.. ioblockstorage.... is cosmetics.
third option is efi string if you don't wanna touch dsdt

<!-- SATA properties -->
<key>PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x1F,0x2)</key>
<dict>
<key>device-id</key>
<integer>0x80862681</integer>
</dict>

dsdt edit is the only good option in my opinion

go with option 2 because this is the only fix for now.. ioblockstorage.... is cosmetics.
Guys, give the complete filename so other noobs may not be confused.
Just to be 100% clear to others reading this thread....

There is IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector.kext which is just for cosmetics (replacing the orange icon). -- included in the Multibeast, a 3rd-party hack (it's not really an actual kext/driver).

Don't confuse the above with another IOACHCIBlockStorage.kext which is located inside IOAHCIFamily.kext- included by OSX, required for operation... if you delete this, you'll get a hanging computer during boot/kernel panic.

Guys, give the complete filename so other noobs may not be confused.
Just to be 100% clear to others reading this thread....

There is IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector.kext which is just for cosmetics (replacing the orange icon). -- included in the Multibeast, a 3rd-party hack (it's not really an actual kext/driver).

Don't confuse the above with another IOACHCIBlockStorage.kext which is located inside IOAHCIFamily.kext- included by OSX, required for operation... if you delete this, you'll get a hanging computer during boot/kernel panic.

actualy i think you are complicating things. we are talking about options 1 and 2

as stated and quoted Option 1: Make sure you check the option IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector in Multibeast.

no one meant System/Library/Extensions/IOAHCIFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/IOAHCIBlockStorage.kext and i hope no one thinks that something in /System/Library/Extensions is cosmetics.

ok noted. write more nobo friendly.

Situation for me:
ML 10.8.0
Installed blockstorage injector from MB 5.02
Repaired permissions with diskutility.
Only my boot ssd is listed as unremovable in system profile (on intel sata port)
1 other ssd on intel sata port is listed as removable but with normal grey HD icon.
2 other sata drives from Hitachi (both on marvell sata port) are listed as removable but with normal grey icon.

Installed thirdparty sata from MB 5.02
Repaired permissions with diskutility.

Afterwards, no change in situation; those 3 disks still are being listed as removable in system profiler.

In my case, I had to REMOVE a kext. My internal SATA drives were appearing as removable if I have this kext installed. I removed the kext and that fixed my problem.

http://www.tonymacx86.com/mountain-...-fix-sata-hd-removable-media-yes-problem.html

Hi everyone!
I was having the same problem: IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector had done the trick in Lion but not in Mountain Lion, and I had internal drives showing up as external, more specifically, the FAT32 a NTFS partitions of an internal hard drive (a third HFS+ one showed up as internal just fine).

The instructions above did not work, but maybe having done them before what I did afterwards was the solution, so the method that worked for me would be:

1. Go to System/Library/Extensions
2. Delete (or back it up somewhere else) the file IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector.kext
3. Run Kext Utility
4. Run Multibeast and select Drivers and Bootloaders>Drivers>Disk>3rd Party SATA and 3rd Party eSata (I'm using Multibeast for Mountain Lion so permissions are fixed by default)
5. Reboot. Nothing happened, the internal drives still showed up as external. But I noticed that the Time Machine icon had changed from blue to orange, and I didn't wanted that, so...
6. Run Multibeast again, and this time select Drivers and Bootloaders>Drivers>Disk>IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector.kext
7. Reboot: it worked this time, everything shows up as internal and Time Machine is back to blue.

The solution is proably simpler than this, and 3rd Party eSata probably has nothing to do with this, but these are the exact steps I followed and worked, after having tried all the other solutions found around here without success.

Let me know if it works for you!

Cheers,
Leo.

PS: I'm under a Gigabyte Z68MX-UD2H-B3 with F13 firmware and corresponding DSDT from the database.

I also was previously on lion with an i3-2105 processor with the same hardware with no issues. Then I upgraded my processor to a i7-3770k and installed Mountain Lion via unibeast method and began having this issue. I tried the orangeiconfix.kext this caused kernel panic on 10.8.1 Mountain Lion, I attempted a DSDT edit failure on my DSDT editing part. I used the original tonymac database DSDT for my MOBO, just edited the section for orange icon fix and had kernel panics. And yes I compiled and verified DSDT had no errors or warnings??
I am having the same issue, if I boot with -f (ignore caches) my hard drives show Removable Media=no and so does my LG Blue-ray burner. But a normal boot shows hard drives as external Removable Media=yes and LG Blue-ray drive is labeled unknown. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Just to follow up on my experience this post worked for me. http://www.tonymacx86.com/mountain-...optical-disc-after-mountain-lion-install.html

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back