i7-920
Graphics
GTX 285 1024 MB
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Air
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I see our local retailer run out of pretty much all but one i5 Intel's 10th Generation CPUs. No i7s, no i9s.

That made me think it might be worth of risk getting Adler lake and try my luck ?

Especially reading this thread.

I still run my i7-920 first gen and the system is rock solid.
Had plans to upgrade this year to 10th gen but now having dilemma.

I have also setup another hackintosh with i7-4xxx (I believe) and Nvidia video card with latest supported OS (my first experience with clover). I never got to transfer my files off the i7-920 so theres that.

I feel I am not a novice (first hackintosh was on G35 I believe) but i also do not have much time. So - woud it make sense to buy unsupported (but very promising) architecture now ?

Thoughts ?

Last edited:
I see our local retailer run out of pretty much all but one i5 Intel's 10th Generation CPUs. No i7s, no i9s.

That made me think it might be worth of risk getting Adler lake and try my luck ?

Especially reading this thread.

Had plans to upgrade this year to 10th gen but now having dilemma.

I have also setup another hackintosh with i7-4xxx (I believe) and Nvidia video card with latest supported OS (my first experience with clover). I never got to transfer my files off the i7-920 so theres that.

I feel I am not a novice (first hackintosh was on G35 I believe) but i also do not have much time. So - woud it make sense to buy unsupported (but very promising) architecture now ?

Thoughts ?
I am happy to give my thoughts on this since I own both Comet Lake and Alder Lake systems.

To be honest I think going for Alder Lake is totally worth it. You have the benefit of running the latest macOS as well as the newest and latest technologies like DDR5, PCIe 5.0., fast NVMe, Thunderbolt 4, WiFI 6 & 2.5GBe LAN. And performance is also better than Comet Lake, Rocket Lake or even a Ryzen 5950X. Why would anyone not want to upgrade to an Alder Lake system is beyond me.

That's quite remarkable for a CPU from 2008. However, no recent build will match this feat: Apple will drop support in the not-too-distant future (2025?)—which implies no driver support for future GPUs—and software vendors will follow. By 2030 any hackintosh will feel very outdated.
So for any new build, whether 10th or 12th generation, one should consider what is to be achieved, how long the system should be serviceable… and whether it is time to go for Apple Silicon.

At the very least, I would suggest to wait and see how Alder Lake plays out (it is promising, but still very experimental), and also wait for "small die" Alder Lake (max. 6 P-cores, no E-core) to have more options.

I thought it was confirmed that 11th and 12th Gen Intel CPUs weren't compatible with Monterey?

I thought it was confirmed that 11th and 12th Gen Intel CPUs weren't compatible with Monterey?
Only the Intel iGPU is not compatible.

Fake news!

Only the Intel iGPU is not compatible.

Please elaborate?

I've been crawling the web all evening, and all I've found are people saying to stick with 10th-Gen Intel chips, that 11th and 12th are incompatible. I would be very happy to learn that a future 16-core i9-12900K CPU on a shiny, new Z690 Aorus Xtreme Motherboard accompanied by some fresh, new Corsair DDR5 RAM would be compatible with Monterey for efficient Adobe Creative Cloud and Logic Pro X content creation, but that seems like a fabled dream.

Have either of you tried the build yourselves? References? (O,0) Hope?

Please elaborate?

I've been crawling the web all evening, and all I've found are people saying to stick with 10th-Gen Intel chips, that 11th and 12th are incompatible. I would be very happy to learn that a future 16-core i9-12900K CPU on a shiny, new Z690 Aorus Xtreme Motherboard accompanied by some fresh, new Corsair DDR5 RAM would be compatible with Monterey for efficient Adobe Creative Cloud and Logic Pro X content creation, but that seems like a fabled dream.

Have either of you tried the build yourselves? References? (O,0) Hope?

Please elaborate?

10th gen. on Z490 are fully supported, including iGPU. It is still the safe option.
11th gen. and later require a dGPU (AMD from Monterey onwards); iGPU is not supported. On Z590, even 10th gen. iGPU cannot be used for display, only for headless decoding.

Alder Lake already has a Golden Build, linked above, and you'll find in there two reports of users using their system for production (music and Adobe applications). For other boards, it's the general thread
where you'll find a possible starting point. Few use DDR5, due to price and availability, but you'll find reports of success with many different Z690 boards. No guarantee, but your dream seems possible.

My goodness, here I was getting endless input that it was entirely incompatible, but all it came down to was not being able to use an iGPU? Really? That's it?

Realistically, I would prefer to not need to upgrade my current DDR4 RAM, HX750i Power Supply and Corsair CPU water cooler just yet. If there are reasonable options that can still run said specs with a 12+ core CPU and my 16gb of DDR4 RAM, though, it sounds like a worthwhile investment - even if Apple does eventually cut all ties, it'll still make for a great PC.

Rendering for Premiere Pro and Logic Pro have gotten a little slow, as my projects get more and more complex. RAM doesn't appear to be the issue. I could be wrong, but I'm certain a new CPU and a long-needed OS upgrade would do the trick.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back