Contribute
Register

Intel SSD drives having trouble booting 10.8.3?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte GA-Z68A-D3H-B3
CPU
Intel i7-2700k
Graphics
Nvidia GTX 970
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I saw this article about folks having trouble booting their genuine Macs after installation of 10.8.3, IF they have an Intel SSD drive installed. Intel has issued a firmware update to correct the issue.

http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-13727_7-57575091-263/intel-x25-ssd-incompatible-with-os-x-10.8.3/
http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=18363

Does anyone know if this applies to Hackintosh installs as well? I was just getting ready to upgrade from 10.8.2 -> 10.8.3 when I saw this. I'm wondering if I need to flash my drive firmware first. I'm hoping the Chimera boot loader works fine without the update...

Can anyone confirm if this is a problem or not? (BTW, I Have the Intel SDD 520 120GB)

Thanks to everyone for making this a great forum!!

Yes, I can confirm it's a problem on hackintoshes too. My setup is GA-Z77X-UP5-TH and i had a intel SSD X-25 + WD Green 2 tb combined to a fusion drive. After update to 10.8.3 I couldn't boot and before I understood what was really wrong I tried to repair my fusion drive with Disk Utility which in reality showed up to be a format of the half that was visible.

After updating the firmware both drives works as they should, but now I'm not going to run them as a fusion drive combo.

Time machine fixed the data loss. At least almost all of it, except the virtual machines I had exluded and only had old backups of.

IMHO the best setup for me on a few hacks I have is to install ML on the SSD and then set the HOME directory on a regular drive. I never get to see the spinning wheel at startup because it goes by so fast. Do not think the performance boost of a Fusion drive is worth the trouble on a hack.

I did a fresh install of 10.0.3.
It boots from the Unibeast but will not boot from the SSD which is a Samsung 840 Pro.
I did not have this problem with 10.8.2 on same system.

Yes, I can confirm it's a problem on hackintoshes too. My setup is GA-Z77X-UP5-TH and i had a intel SSD X-25 + WD Green 2 tb combined to a fusion drive. After update to 10.8.3 I couldn't boot and before I understood what was really wrong I tried to repair my fusion drive with Disk Utility which in reality showed up to be a format of the half that was visible.

After updating the firmware both drives works as they should, but now I'm not going to run them as a fusion drive combo.

Time machine fixed the data loss. At least almost all of it, except the virtual machines I had exluded and only had old backups of.

Thanks for the replies, everyone. I've seen other reports of people having issues, so it seems that a firmware update IS required. I guess I lucked out - the firmware updater confirmed the drive had the current firmware version, so I didn't have to flash.

Updated to 10.8.3 without issue. (For the most part - I'm getting a black screen after sleep but only sometimes... but that's another story.)

As for my installation details - I have the OS, Applications and my home folders on the SSD. However, I've moved essentially everything out of my home folder into a folder structure on the physical HD. This made the most sense for me, since I have tons of photos, so storing them all in the user folder didn't make sense anyway.
(I wanted to keep parts of my home folder on the SSD so the cache files, etc. would be on the faster drive.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back