Contribute
Register

Intel Nuc 2.0 (Broadwell)

Status
Not open for further replies.
You need to prep your USB with 10.10.3 (at least, that's what my problem was... I was using 10.10.2)
10.10.4 might work, I haven't tried it. Has anyone updated to 10.10.4 yet? IS the system stable?

i can confirm it is working for 1 day almost with 10.10.4. never tried 10.10.3.
i've also changed the platform-id to be 0x16260006, even tho i worked for me with 0x16260000 aswell.

about the sound, installed alc 283 from multibeast - it added the internal speakers
for the hd sound, i've tried couple of things, with no major success
tried installing APPLEHDA alc clover .command script, it patched the AppleHDA.kext and modified config.plist with ALC283 injection, also tried running Azul framwork
system info can recognize the HDMI HD sound, but it cant detect my TV under Sound output.

I'm interested in using the new Intel Nuc 2.0 as a Hackintosh:

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/nuc/nuc-kit-nuc5i5ryh.html

The hardware seems pretty close to the Mac Mini - with Intel Iris 6000 integrated graphics.

Does anybody know if this machine would be suitable? The only part I'm not sure about is the Wifi/Bluetooth card.

Thanks in advance.

Not sure why you thought that was same as a Mini when the Mini has the Intel HD 5000/5100 not a HD 6xxx.

Something weird is happening - I have full / nice audio out of DisplayPort with an HDMI converter to my TV, but apple lists no audio devices. It's laggy to start, but then catches up and sounds fine..... still not a working solution, will try your multibeast ALC driver solution.

I'm using this wireless adaptor, bc intel one no worky work:
http://www.amazon.com/Edimax-EW-7811Un-150Mbps-Raspberry-Supports/dp/B003MTTJOY

Something weird is happening - I have full / nice audio out of DisplayPort with an HDMI converter to my TV, but apple lists no audio devices. It's laggy to start, but then catches up and sounds fine..... still not a working solution, will try your multibeast ALC driver solution

Sorry for being an idiot. Yosemite went out and found an airplay device on my network, which happened to be a raspberry pi i was experimenting with connected to my soundsystem, to which my TV is also connected. Mistaken identity.

When you install the ALC from multibeast, it makes you install an org.chameleon.boot.plist. Did this cause problems for you?

UPDATE:
Toleda's ALC installer command file worked for me. Have "built in" speakers now showing up in prefpane. Still not HDMI/DP audio.

Upgraded from 10.10.3 to 10.10.4. Rock solid, no problems.

Last edited:
When you say rock solid, does that mean the graphics crash issue is completely gone as well?
Are you using the smbios settings from sosurim's EFI package, or did you make changes to it yourself?

100% stable, no graphics crashes.

I'm using the same SMBios that sosurim provided, with the ig-platform-id = 0x16260006
I'm using the latest Intel BIOS.

I was having those graphics crashes, but I rebooted and effed around in the BIOS a few times, changing the aperature size and onboard devices power..... and it just worked! It goes to sleep and wakes up fine too.

Right now, I have every device ENABLED in the BIOS, even ones that don't work, and my video settings are 64MB / 128MB.

Idk... try messing around in the BIOS, and hard-resetting a few times, and removing the power cable for a few minutes. Those are the only things I did, other than set a custom theme in nvram for clover using clover configurator.

@sosurim (and others)
After following this thread since its beginning and following especially your great progress, I thought it safe to purchase a NUC5i5RYH and start hacking away. ;)

I installed Yosemite the Clover way and got ethernet working through driver installation using Multibeast.
There are stability issues which according to dmesg is related to sound over DisplayPort. This has lead me to disable the feature in BIOS.

I would like to ask how you got sound working? Trying to trace back through the forum threads it seems you had to try quite a few things but I never really figured out how you got it working. I do remember something about disabling either the left or right channel - but I think I can manage that if only I could get the audio device to load up first. ;)

Yosemite is telling me that Bluetooth is working, but I have no luck seeing any devices. This is a pretty big deal to me since I have a (Magic) trackpad that I am quite happy with and really would love to be able to use it with the NUC.
Do you have any luck with Bluetooth?

Update:
I have sound working now, used toleda's guide to get there.

I am experiencing stability issues.
  1. Whenever the screen is supposed to go into standby, the NUC reboots. This can be avoided by never having the screen going into standby. Not pretty, but works.
  2. A bigger problem is that the GPU (driver) seems to hang and then crash which causes the screen to flicker between current and old data - really a sight for sore eyes. This sometimes happens after 10 minutes, sometimes 30 and I have even had it run for close to 2 hours before it happens. But it always happens.

I am really at a point now that I don't know where to go from here. I am quite amazed that sosurim managed to get an absolute stable system when mine is so unstable. I am using the latest 0249 BIOS which is the only difference really I can think of. (Not even knowing which BIOS version the rest of the NUC5i5RYH users are on.)

I'm on BIOS 0246. Device -> Video IGD Min -> 64MB, IGD Aperture -> 256MB.

In the config.plist, I have it set to igp-platform-id to 0x16260006 (though for me 0x16260000 worked too).

I have not used the bluetooth. I think it should work fine. I just don't have any need for it right now. I'll get a BT keyboard or something and try it out.

I should mention that I have not yet gotten audio via DP/HDMI to work yet. I only got the NUC's internal Realtek 283 to work... somewhat. I got OS X to recognize it, but the sound was crappy. I fixed that by muting one channel using the Audio MIDI Setup in Applications->Utility. I think the crappy audio is due to the 283 trying to do 7.1, but I only have a headphone and 2.1 speaker setup only.

You can follow the rather short discussion I had with toleda in this thread:

http://www.tonymacx86.com/audio/165405-unable-enable-realtek-alc283-nuc-please-help.html

Over the weeks, and from the beginning, I have noticed minor graphics glitches, but nothing so bad to make the system unusable. First and foremost, it seems slower than it should be. My first-gen NUC with HD4000 feels a bit snappier, mainly due to the graphics which is fully supported. There does seem to be some compatibility problems with the HD6000, something not fully worked out yet.

A few times when I bring it out of sleep, I get artifact attached to the mouse pointer. But after a refresh (opening a new window), it disappears. Little things like that make it less than 100% compatible. But it's something I can work with.

S

i can confirm it is working for 1 day almost with 10.10.4. never tried 10.10.3.
i've also changed the platform-id to be 0x16260006, even tho i worked for me with 0x16260000 aswell.

about the sound, installed alc 283 from multibeast - it added the internal speakers
for the hd sound, i've tried couple of things, with no major success
tried installing APPLEHDA alc clover .command script, it patched the AppleHDA.kext and modified config.plist with ALC283 injection, also tried running Azul framwork
system info can recognize the HDMI HD sound, but it cant detect my TV under Sound output.

It's fairly easy to get the internal audio to work. But first, don't use the 283 driver from multibeast. It didn't do anything for me, except change something in the AppleHDA.kext. Second, you must have a virgin stock AppleHDA.kext, and use toleda's methods to patch that virgin, stock AppleHDA.kext.

Here's the short thread about that:
http://www.tonymacx86.com/audio/165405-unable-enable-realtek-alc283-nuc-please-help.html

And just in case any of you have modified the AppleHDA.kext, here's a clean one for you do use:
View attachment AppleHDA.kext.zip

Hope this helps.

S

Sorry for being an idiot. Yosemite went out and found an airplay device on my network, which happened to be a raspberry pi i was experimenting with connected to my soundsystem, to which my TV is also connected. Mistaken identity.

When you install the ALC from multibeast, it makes you install an org.chameleon.boot.plist. Did this cause problems for you?

UPDATE:
Toleda's ALC installer command file worked for me. Have "built in" speakers now showing up in prefpane. Still not HDMI/DP audio.

There's an option in multibeast so it it won't create the org.chameleon.boot.plist file. You have to check that as well if you're on clover. But it doesn't matter because you shouldn't use the 283 kext from multibeast. At least it didn't work for me. I had to use one of the three patching methods toleda provided (forget which one that was) on a clean AppleHDA.kext.

I'm not so eager to implement audio through HDMI/DP, because my monitor's speakers sound really bad. I have a USB DAC->amp->speakers which work well for me w/o having to have to do more patching of kexts.

I too upgraded from 10.10.3 to 10.10.4, and it seems still stable so far. Knock on wood.

S

I'm noticing some things now that I've had this running a few days.
Coming in/out of sleep works, but twice now I've come home from work to find the machine off. When I restart, it says "Processor thermal trip". In the BIOS there is a logged event for it. I cranked up the fan speeds in the BIOS but I'm wondering if it did anything because it still happens, now it's just loud as heck. HWsensors doesn't work well on this machine because FakeSMC in S/L/E prevents booting. Putting the sensor kexts in my EFI 10.10 kext folder also prevented booting :(

I tried the bluetooth. It's no good; nothing is ever discovered. Also it causes a crapload of "blued" errors in syslog. Disable it in BIOS, get a dongle.

Still working on audio, will report back...

You're right that the graphics isn't fully supported.... I'm not seeing artifacts but on boot the progress bar and apple logo get all messed up about 1/3 of the way through. I wonder why? This chipset should be 100% supported. I read somewhere that this NUC5i5RYH has a VGA header somewhere; maybe we still have the wrong ig-platform-id.

Anyone else seeing the thermal trips? Makes me nervous... don't want to hurt this new baby. Does anyone know if enabling P-states would help?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back