Contribute
Register

Intel NUC 10 Frost Canyon

You can sacrifice your NVME slot for a native Apple WIFI card. You'll have to use a 2.5" SSD for your OS, unless you wanna boot off an SD card (which is rather slow).

You'll need an adapter, a first party card, and a 1.25mm JST USB-cable. Also, since there is very little room inside the case, some insulation on the drive cage if you have the tall enclosure. But then again, if you don't have the tall enclosure, you won't be able to fit a 2.5" SSD in there, so it become next to unusable.

You can find information here: https://github.com/zearp/Nucintosh
This is for a NUC8, but the same principles apply with the NUC10 as well.

It looks like this inside my NUC10:

65197A62-C273-4055-8FB4-5A003E1F0D64.jpeg

Last edited:
What do your Geekbench Open CL and Metal scores look like out of curiosity? It used to be the NUC8 would kick the NUC10's butt because the graphics acceleration couldn't be enabled. I'm wondering if that was resolved, it would make it a much interesting box.
I tried this repo here with Monterey >>

View attachment 535800
And I'm happy to report that it does work rather well.

My 4K monitor gets 60Hz via HDMI 2.0, sound is working over HDMI and USB-C. The monitor is recognized as a 5K/UHD+ (quad 1440p), even though it's a native 3840x2160 display, but then again, this happened on my NUC8 and my Lenovo T580 as well.

Thunderbolt is working as well. I tested Thunderbolt with a UAD Arrow. Hotplugging is somewhat flaky. It worked once, it doesn't work a second time and needs a reboot after that. But it IS working.

So yeah, I think I'll keep this little box around until we've all moved to M1, ARM-Hackintoshes or VMs. ;)
So, I have a NU10i7FNH that has been running Catalina with OpenCore 0.5.9. I also have a 2012 MBP that was running Catalina. I used Carbon Copy Cloner to copy the MBP to anonther SSD, I took that SSD and installed it in the NUC10. Booted from USB Flash with the EFI I was given after patching the platform stuff. It booted and ran fine for my purposes. After a year and a half it is time to move to that latest OpenCore.

The GitHub repository listed above has a note:

CFG Unlock​

If it's the first time your nuc10 install with macOS, you must unlock CFG before install macOS.

1. Find a USB flash drive, formatted as FAT32 partition.
  2. Copy EFI files to the root of your USB drive, path will be /EFI.
  3. Reboot your nuc10, press F10, boot with the drive above.
  4. Choose CFGLock Shell.efi unlock CFG.
Do I need to worry with this now?

I really didn't install. The last update to Catalina left things in limbo.

I had used CCC to clone the SSD to an NvME and had been running from that until the attempted upgrade. When it messed up the NvME running, I went back to running from the SSD. It still runs.

Also, does anyone have a script that will copy the 4 platform items from one config.plist to another? I can do it manually, but a script might eliminate typos. As OpenCore changes, this will get used again and again.

Thanks,

Dennis

So, I have a NU10i7FNH that has been running Catalina with OpenCore 0.5.9. I also have a 2012 MBP that was running Catalina. I used Carbon Copy Cloner to copy the MBP to anonther SSD, I took that SSD and installed it in the NUC10. Booted from USB Flash with the EFI I was given after patching the platform stuff. It booted and ran fine for my purposes. After a year and a half it is time to move to that latest OpenCore.

The GitHub repository listed above has a note:

CFG Unlock​

If it's the first time your nuc10 install with macOS, you must unlock CFG before install macOS.

1. Find a USB flash drive, formatted as FAT32 partition.
  2. Copy EFI files to the root of your USB drive, path will be /EFI.
  3. Reboot your nuc10, press F10, boot with the drive above.
  4. Choose CFGLock Shell.efi unlock CFG.
Do I need to worry with this now?

I really didn't install. The last update to Catalina left things in limbo.

I had used CCC to clone the SSD to an NvME and had been running from that until the attempted upgrade. When it messed up the NvME running, I went back to running from the SSD. It still runs.

Also, does anyone have a script that will copy the 4 platform items from one config.plist to another? I can do it manually, but a script might eliminate typos. As OpenCore changes, this will get used again and again.

Thanks,

Dennis
Don’t worry about CFGLock, you do not have to modify that setting to allow OpenCore to work.

Try this to update from your existing config.plist

Don’t worry about CFGLock, you do not have to modify that setting to allow OpenCore to work.

Try this to update from your existing config.plist

Thanks the reference to OCAT. Looks like it is under active development.

Thanks the reference to OCAT. Looks like it is under active development.
For it to be of any use it needs to be updated every month along with new OpenCore releases.

Created a new 16 Gig USB flash formatted HFS+ GUID for boot purposes. Copied the EFI folder from the EFI partition that was being used to boot the NUC10 with OC 0.5.9.

Rebooted to verify that the USB flash would boot the NUC10.

Created another 16 Gig USB flash as above. This time I copied mrasong’s v0.7.8.0207 EFI folder to the EFI partition.

Using PLIST Editor app I filled in mrasong’s blank MLB, ROM, SystemSerialNumber, and SystemUUID with my working values.

Shut things down.

Rebooted from the new USB flash with 0.7.8.

Works!

Thanks to all!

The beauty of vanilla!

Did you know the vanilla bean comes from a type of orchid?

Last edited:
Created a new 16 Gig USB flash formatted HFS+ GUID for boot purposes. Copied the EFI folder from the EFI partition that was being used to boot the NUC10 with OC 0.5.9.

Rebooted to verify that the USB flash would boot the NUC10.

Created another 16 Gig USB flash as above. This time I copied mrasong’s v0.7.8.0207 EFI folder to the EFI partition.

Using PLIST Editor app I filled in mrasong’s blank MLB, ROM, SystemSerialNumber, and SystemUUID with my working values.

Shut things down.

Rebooted from the new USB flash with 0.7.8.

Works!

Thanks to all!

The beauty of vanilla!

Did you know the vanilla bean comes from a type of orchid?
Using Big Sur? Your friend over at Github is using the FakePCIID.kexts which cause kernel panic in Monterey (in case you were not aware.)
His list of kexts:

NUC10 Kexts.png

Using Big Sur? Your friend over at Github is using the FakePCIID.kexts which cause kernel panic in Monterey (in case you were not aware.)
His list of kexts:

View attachment 542435
No, this is Catalina for the moment. Not on the bleeding edge. This NUC10 is run headless.

It has an NVMe SSD and a SATA SSD. CCC was used to clone the former to the latter. The NVMe was the boot drive. An update to Catalina came out and I tried to update but it had some issue. Issue might have been OC 0.5.9. Anyway, I just shifted to booting from the SATA.

My main machine is an M1 Mini running latest Big Sur. This NUC10 is really just used to run Intel VMs.

The question now is… Should this now update correctly? I will clone the running SATA SSD before trying to upgrade.

Thanks for the help.

Dennis

@Leesureone @Dennis_Womack

The GitHub EFI folder has separate config.plist files for Catalina, Big Sur, and Monterey. If the EFI is used the appropriate config.plist must be selected based on macOS installed. For Monterey the FakePCIID kexts are not used.

The release notes refer to fixing sleep. For me sleep works, but keyboard or mouse clicks don't wake the hack. I must push the power button to wake.

I was not getting sound to my HDMI display until I tried an earlier version of this EFI. On each reboot I have to reselect my display as the output source, which is not optimal.

I have not dug into the differences in the three config.plist files to compare them. I was wondering why the config.plist didn't use the MinKernel and MaxKernel fields to disable the FakePCIID kernels in Monterey. Apparently there are other config.plist differences that can't be altered based on kernel version to allow a single multi-macOS file.

I don't use the NUC10 at this point, and only have Monterey installed, so it isn't worth my time to investigate further.

@Leesureone @Dennis_Womack

The GitHub EFI folder has separate config.plist files for Catalina, Big Sur, and Monterey. If the EFI is used the appropriate config.plist must be selected based on macOS installed. For Monterey the FakePCIID kexts are not used.

The release notes refer to fixing sleep. For me sleep works, but keyboard or mouse clicks don't wake the hack. I must push the power button to wake.

I was not getting sound to my HDMI display until I tried an earlier version of this EFI. On each reboot I have to reselect my display as the output source, which is not optimal.

I have not dug into the differences in the three config.plist files to compare them. I was wondering why the config.plist didn't use the MinKernel and MaxKernel fields to disable the FakePCIID kernels in Monterey. Apparently there are other config.plist differences that can't be altered based on kernel version to allow a single multi-macOS file.

I don't use the NUC10 at this point, and only have Monterey installed, so it isn't worth my time to investigate further.
Thanks for clarifying that a bit, I didn’t dig into it at all except to do a scan on basic content. Completely skipped any read me or update notes.

Back