Contribute
Register

Intel NUC 10 Frost Canyon

Just to compare, I ran Geekbench on my Lenovo T580 Catalina machine, i7-8550u with UHD 620 (with the exact same RAM configuration):
Single Core 1020
Multi Core 3392
Metal 4601
Nuc10 i7-10710u with UHD620 seems to be consistent with "other" UHD620. Or am I missing something?
Well a couple of things if you are curious. Intel says the NUC10 has "Intel® UHD Graphics for 10th Gen Intel® Processors" not UHD 620 and that's really the issue. Apple never used that version of the mobile chip and so never developed graphics drivers for it. You can spoof the CPU/ iGPU and make it work but it lacks graphics acceleration, it runs in basic VESA mode.

Yeah, that official Intel product page is confusing, since it claimed "UHD for 10th gen", but maybe that's on purpose - I've seen reviewers and other sites stating that the UHD graphics in the 10710u is just the regular UHD 620; here for instance:
Also, I DO get acceleration, or at least it seems. I tried Handbrake with Quicksync, it does accelerate encoding significantly over software only. 4K60 video playback in VLC also seems to work.
It's weird.

Yeah, that official Intel product page is confusing, since it claimed "UHD for 10th gen", but maybe that's on purpose - I've seen reviewers and other sites stating that the UHD graphics in the 10710u is just the regular UHD 620; here for instance:
Also, I DO get acceleration, or at least it seems. I tried Handbrake with Quicksync, it does accelerate encoding significantly over software only. 4K60 video playback in VLC also seems to work.
It's weird.
We are kind of rehashing the same conversation that was had about a year ago, it's not UHD 620 regardless of what that and some other websites reported. There is an older test that may or may not be valid for graphics acceleration, the task bar should be clear and using the chess app movement should be smooth. Be aware in Windows this box's graphics scores in Geekbench are almost double

Yes that benchmark are good. Only Intel Iris 655 in NUC 9 Gen double the scores.
But Intel Iris 655 is more powerfull than UHD 620/630. I done LuxMark 3.1 bechmark and
all is ok.

I have a pretty stable build right now with almost everything working flawlessly. The only two things that are not working are unlocked with an apple watch and airdrop as far as I can tell. Since these are wifi / bt actions I think this is related due to the fact that the wifi card is not a genuine/supported one.

I checked online and saw a lot of other builds buying these m2 cards. Does this also work with an intel nuc 10? Which card should I get to make this work?

I do have an HDD in my current m2 slot so I might have to change that around right?

I have a pretty stable build right now with almost everything working flawlessly. The only two things that are not working are unlocked with an apple watch and airdrop as far as I can tell. Since these are wifi / bt actions I think this is related due to the fact that the wifi card is not a genuine/supported one.

I checked online and saw a lot of other builds buying these m2 cards. Does this also work with an intel nuc 10? Which card should I get to make this work?

I do have an HDD in my current m2 slot so I might have to change that around right?
If the two functions are that important for your daily use then yes, you'd have to make some hardware changes. You'd need to give up your Nvme SSD so you can install a BCM94360NG m2 card in that slot (no drivers needed, natively supported). You'd also need to buy antennas because the ones in the case reportedly do not reach. There are others but I think those are easiest to use. Then install a SATA based SSD for your OS.
Air Drop should work, your Apple Watch may not based on other posts I've read. Personally I think having two different hard drives, one for Mac and one for Windows, is a better option but that's my personal preference based on how I use my NUC8.

You can sacrifice your NVME slot for a native Apple WIFI card. You'll have to use a 2.5" SSD for your OS, unless you wanna boot off an SD card (which is rather slow).

You'll need an adapter, a first party card, and a 1.25mm JST USB-cable. Also, since there is very little room inside the case, some insulation on the drive cage if you have the tall enclosure. But then again, if you don't have the tall enclosure, you won't be able to fit a 2.5" SSD in there, so it become next to unusable.

You can find information here: https://github.com/zearp/Nucintosh
This is for a NUC8, but the same principles apply with the NUC10 as well.

It looks like this inside my NUC10:

65197A62-C273-4055-8FB4-5A003E1F0D64.jpeg

Last edited:
What do your Geekbench Open CL and Metal scores look like out of curiosity? It used to be the NUC8 would kick the NUC10's butt because the graphics acceleration couldn't be enabled. I'm wondering if that was resolved, it would make it a much interesting box.
I tried this repo here with Monterey >>

View attachment 535800
And I'm happy to report that it does work rather well.

My 4K monitor gets 60Hz via HDMI 2.0, sound is working over HDMI and USB-C. The monitor is recognized as a 5K/UHD+ (quad 1440p), even though it's a native 3840x2160 display, but then again, this happened on my NUC8 and my Lenovo T580 as well.

Thunderbolt is working as well. I tested Thunderbolt with a UAD Arrow. Hotplugging is somewhat flaky. It worked once, it doesn't work a second time and needs a reboot after that. But it IS working.

So yeah, I think I'll keep this little box around until we've all moved to M1, ARM-Hackintoshes or VMs. ;)
So, I have a NU10i7FNH that has been running Catalina with OpenCore 0.5.9. I also have a 2012 MBP that was running Catalina. I used Carbon Copy Cloner to copy the MBP to anonther SSD, I took that SSD and installed it in the NUC10. Booted from USB Flash with the EFI I was given after patching the platform stuff. It booted and ran fine for my purposes. After a year and a half it is time to move to that latest OpenCore.

The GitHub repository listed above has a note:

CFG Unlock​

If it's the first time your nuc10 install with macOS, you must unlock CFG before install macOS.

1. Find a USB flash drive, formatted as FAT32 partition.
  2. Copy EFI files to the root of your USB drive, path will be /EFI.
  3. Reboot your nuc10, press F10, boot with the drive above.
  4. Choose CFGLock Shell.efi unlock CFG.
Do I need to worry with this now?

I really didn't install. The last update to Catalina left things in limbo.

I had used CCC to clone the SSD to an NvME and had been running from that until the attempted upgrade. When it messed up the NvME running, I went back to running from the SSD. It still runs.

Also, does anyone have a script that will copy the 4 platform items from one config.plist to another? I can do it manually, but a script might eliminate typos. As OpenCore changes, this will get used again and again.

Thanks,

Dennis

So, I have a NU10i7FNH that has been running Catalina with OpenCore 0.5.9. I also have a 2012 MBP that was running Catalina. I used Carbon Copy Cloner to copy the MBP to anonther SSD, I took that SSD and installed it in the NUC10. Booted from USB Flash with the EFI I was given after patching the platform stuff. It booted and ran fine for my purposes. After a year and a half it is time to move to that latest OpenCore.

The GitHub repository listed above has a note:

CFG Unlock​

If it's the first time your nuc10 install with macOS, you must unlock CFG before install macOS.

1. Find a USB flash drive, formatted as FAT32 partition.
  2. Copy EFI files to the root of your USB drive, path will be /EFI.
  3. Reboot your nuc10, press F10, boot with the drive above.
  4. Choose CFGLock Shell.efi unlock CFG.
Do I need to worry with this now?

I really didn't install. The last update to Catalina left things in limbo.

I had used CCC to clone the SSD to an NvME and had been running from that until the attempted upgrade. When it messed up the NvME running, I went back to running from the SSD. It still runs.

Also, does anyone have a script that will copy the 4 platform items from one config.plist to another? I can do it manually, but a script might eliminate typos. As OpenCore changes, this will get used again and again.

Thanks,

Dennis
Don’t worry about CFGLock, you do not have to modify that setting to allow OpenCore to work.

Try this to update from your existing config.plist

Don’t worry about CFGLock, you do not have to modify that setting to allow OpenCore to work.

Try this to update from your existing config.plist

Thanks the reference to OCAT. Looks like it is under active development.

Back