Contribute
Register

Intel is really in a major slump because of AMD's Ryzen CPU line

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder if using an external fab, that is the most advanced in the world, and having a fraction of the market share enables a company to pull ahead on the design side and how long that advantage can be sustainable.

yes, 5700 is not what you call the best you can do. I have no doubt something else is coming.

Switching to TSMC was definitely extremely beneficial to AMD. My guess is that Intel's biggest problem right now is their in-house fab. They are having all sorts of difficulty moving beyond 14nm++. But, I feel like there was also a good amount of hubris on Intel's part... Look at the upcoming 10th gen CPUs. They didn't even bother to update the IGPU. Look at how many security vulnerabilities are found every month on their CPUs...

From what I've seen/read, AMD's R&D budget was a mere fraction of either Intel's or Nvidia's. It's amazing they've managed to reach the heights they have. Now that the company is once again profitable, I hope they can continue to push the envelope higher. AMD rising from the ashes has really brought back excitement to the industry.

I've said this before... I think that AMD released the 5700 first and the 5500 second because the mid range and low end cards represent the bulk of sales. I expect them to release their halo product in 2020.

Much props to Lisa Su!!

Much props to Lisa Su!!
I agree. It will be surprising if Intel doesn't try to lure her away from AMD to help them get back on track.
I’ve always been attracted to solving really tough problems. That was a piece of advice I was given when I was a young engineer at IBM. It was the idea of, run towards the problems because problems actually create opportunities. I really believe that is the AMD story.
Lisa Su

Take a wild guess at where Lisa got these ideas from:

When I took over as CEO I thought that what we needed to do was focus on the right things. When we looked at the market back then, we said high-performance computing is a great market. It’s going to become more and more important as we go into the future. Very few companies have the IP necessary to play in this area. So we focused. My mantra to the team was focus on great products, our most important customers, and just simplifying everything that we do. And that has held with us for the past four and a half years.

That is the strategy that Steve Jobs applied at Apple when he became the CEO again back in 1997. He greatly reduced the product lines and focused on a few really good Apple computers. The first one that got them back on track was the Bondi Blue CRT iMac. It looks like a joke today but was a huge seller that kept Apple from filing for bankruptcy.

Last edited:
I agree. It will be surprising if Intel doesn't try to lure her away from AMD to help them get back on track.
Lisa Su

Take a wild guess at where Lisa got these ideas from:

When I took over as CEO I thought that what we needed to do was focus on the right things. When we looked at the market back then, we said high-performance computing is a great market. It’s going to become more and more important as we go into the future. Very few companies have the IP necessary to play in this area. So we focused. My mantra to the team was focus on great products, our most important customers, and just simplifying everything that we do. And that has held with us for the past four and a half years.

That is the strategy that Steve Jobs applied at Apple when he came back around 1997.

Lots of people idolize Steve Jobs and try to mimic his success... Like Elizabeth Holmes, former Theranos CEO. She even tried to dress like him. Lol

sundance-2019-45968246302-d8ff2955a0-o-theranos-elizabeth-holmes-inventor-cropped.jpg

Last edited:
Another nail in Intel's coffin?

I'm thinking my next hack will be AMD.

Just checked the CPU bestsellers list again today. Intel only has one CPU in the top 15 now. The i9-9900KF.

Screen Shot 19.jpg

Screen Shot 21.jpg

Apple's going to be at CES for the first time in 28 years... Maybe they have an AMD announcement? :fingers crossed:

Apple's going to be at CES for the first time in 28 years... Maybe they have an AMD announcement? :fingers crossed:

AMD Navi 21 is in the 6000Kexts, that's one of the big Navi cards. Rumors out there (not so Likely) of an Apple Gaming rig? Who knows, AppleTV, APPLEMusic, maybe an Apple Gaming Console? Lol!

AMD Navi 21 is in the 6000Kexts, that's one of the big Navi cards. Rumors out there (not so Likely) of an Apple Gaming rig? Who knows, AppleTV, APPLEMusic, maybe an Apple Gaming Console? Lol!

Pippin 360?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back