Contribute
Register

Intel is really in a major slump because of AMD's Ryzen CPU line

Status
Not open for further replies.
Personally, my Mac of choice (lottery win, massive pay raise etc) would be the iMac Pro. That at least has some semblance of old Apple ideology in it.

So hopefully Intel stays in bed with Apple.

The new Mac Pro is beautiful and powerful and all, but reminds me of Apple in the 1990's. Not sure why. Maybe it looks so "corporate". But I can see it could be rejigged as AMD if Apple wanted to.

(Should be over in the Mac Pro thread, I know, but I want Intel to succeed again for some reason. The iMac Pro typifies their archtecture for me).

Last edited:
The MP 2019 is the best build computer I've ever dealt with in 40 years. The only drawback I've experienced so far is that you have to disconnect all cables to get the lid off. Very easy to repair, can takes tons of PCIe cards, huge PSU, very quiet.
Details like screws that are attached to lids so they won't drop into the computer, amazing. And all these nice, cooled compartments that come of easy but are still sturdy. Everything easily accessible.

Makes a HP Z series workstation look cheap.

This would be the one I would get if I had the money.

This would be the one I would get if I had the money.
So if Apple did switch to AMD and dropped the base price to $4,999 for a 12 core AMD TR version would you buy one ? With AMD's positive relationship with Apple and the discount pricing they could get, a price that low might be possible. Not likely but possible.

Last edited:
As I mentioned before in another thread, Intel(my i9) is still leading by a fair margin for DAW use with small(64 sample) buffers/low latency.
That's one of the main things I use my computers for. Maybe if they rewrite the real-time code for DAW's, AMD will be a viable alternative.

As I mentioned before in another thread, Intel(my i9) is still leading by a fair margin for DAW use with small(64 sample) buffers/low latency.
That's one of the main things I use my computers for. Maybe if they rewrite the real-time code for DAW's, AMD will be a viable alternative.

That's a good point I know little about. If the AMD CPUs were using just the same instruction sets as Intel would that be copyright infringement? If so does that mean AMD has to "emulate" a lot of commands to perform the same functions?

If that was the case I can see software written at a very low-level for Intel might perform better on that platform until an AMD-specific version was coded.

Have you guys seen this one? Intel reportedly testing pci 4.0 Optane drives.

Intel is prototyping PCIe 4.0 SSDs, but needs AMD CPUs to test them

in my opigion, is to be interporatible and to avoid 2 king of PCI . all builder CM need to be more compliate and full compatible to all PCI 4.0 components and standards

If so does that mean AMD has to "emulate" a lot of commands to perform the same functions?

No. AMD and Intel use the same X86-64 instruction set. It's not emulated. In fact, it was AMD who created the original X86-64 instruction set which is why it's sometime referred to as "AMD64". This is why it's possible to make macOS run on AMD with so little mods.

The differences between Intel and AMD chips are in their architectures. Each has different sets of advantages over the other. If you look at the graphs in the link below, you can see how each is better at doing different things.

This is also why when comparing CPUs from the two manufacturers, MHz means little and IPC performance means much more. Heck, even CPUs from the same manufacturers, improvements in IPC from one generation to the next makes MHz fairly meaningless. For example, a 4GHz Coffee Lake CPU will run circles around a 4GHz Sandy Bridge CPU. This is better explained in the article below.

I don't know which architecture is better for DAW...

Last edited:
No. AMD and Intel use the same X86-64 instruction set. It's not emulated. In fact, it was AMD who created the original X86-64 instruction set which is why it's sometime referred to as "AMD64". This is why it's possible to make macOS run on AMD with so little mods.

The differences between Intel and AMD chips are in their architectures. Each has different sets of advantages over the other. If you look at the graphs in the link below, you can see how each is better at doing different things.

This is also why when comparing CPUs from the two manufacturers, MHz means little and IPC performance means much more. Heck, even CPUs from the same manufacturers, improvements in IPC from one generation to the next makes MHz fairly meaningless. For example, a 4GHz Coffee Lake CPU will run circles around a 4GHz Sandy Bridge CPU. This is better explained in the article below.

I don't know which architecture is better for DAW...

Good info. Thanks :thumbup:

380W?!?

kisspng-emoji-facepalm-united-states-fm-broadcasting-emoti-emojiman-5b26b4d300cd32.66464886152...jpg

380W?!?

Liquid nitrogen isn't really all that dangerous or expensive. LOL.
There are also 1600W PSUs available. https://www.newegg.com/rosewill-her...0W PSU&cm_re=1600W_PSU-_-17-182-251-_-Product

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back