i5-10500
Graphics
RX 570
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
  2. Mac mini
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Was just looking at the best selling CPUs on Amazon.com. 14 out of the top 16 best selling CPUs are AMD Ryzen. This is not just at the low end. The Ryzen 7s and 9s are also outselling higher end Intel CPUs. How did Intel get so far behind ? Apathy mostly and thinking that they could keep charging top dollar and stay on top forever due to their past dominance. The $490 i9-9900K comes in at #12 on the list. Even that will fall lower in 2020. Intel had really offer better value with their April 2020 10th gen desktop CPU release. I really think that Apple is losing it's patience with Intel and could possibly make a switch if Intel doesn't start competing again. For example, the new i9-3900X has 12 cores and 24 threads, is unlocked, has an included cooler and sells for only $3.50 more than an 8 core 16 thread i9-9900K. Go figure.
Screen Shot 17.jpg

Screen Shot 9.jpg

Screen Shot 14.jpg
Screen Shot 16.jpg

Screen Shot 15.jpg

From wccftech website:
AMD's Ryzen 3000 series was released back in July 2019 and marked the company's historical transition to a sub 14/16nm process (namely the 7nm node). For the first time in over three decades, Intel had lost its process lead over the x86 industry and AMD was the company to profit the most of it. AMD's 7nm processors proved not only more than capable of matching (and at times beating) Intel processors in performance but offered the same at a much lower price point.

AMD's use of predatory pricing seems to quickly be bearing fruit as it snatches away more and more market share from Intel. While Intel remains in the lead, AMD has snatched back up to 40% market share in the latest PassMark report (caution: this is just one data point and based only on devices running PassMark) and this is something we haven't seen since 2006 - almost a full 14 years ago.

Last edited:
It’s a shame we can’t take advantage of the lower cost AMD CPU for our needs.

AMD deserves all the success they're having. Intel had been stuck on the 14nm production process for it's CPUs since 2014. Their attempt at shrinking their CPU dies to 10nm wasn't reliable and had terrible yields. So they've only announced stable 10nm production of upcoming CPUs sometime in late October. And during that time, they had been price-gouging consumers because we had no other competitive options for cheaper. (This is why Monopolies are really really bad)

Meanwhile, AMD released their first 7nm GPU (the Radeon VII) in February and their first 7nm CPUs in July of 2019 and have been making great strides in performance and offering their CPUs for far cheaper for what you're getting. (Because they have to. Not because they're nice people.)

All in all it's a win for everyone, Intel is forced to drive it's prices down. AMD gives us another choice...

UNLESS you're a hackintosher... then... oh well.... :(

AMD deserves all the success they're having. Intel had been stuck on the 14nm production process for it's CPUs since 2014. Their attempt at shrinking their CPU dies to 10nm wasn't reliable and had terrible yields. So they've only announced stable 10nm production of upcoming CPUs sometime in late October. And during that time, they had been price-gouging consumers because we had no other competitive options for cheaper. (This is why Monopolies are really really bad)

Meanwhile, AMD released their first 7nm GPU (the Radeon VII) in February and their first 7nm CPUs in July of 2019 and have been making great strides in performance and offering their CPUs for far cheaper for what you're getting. (Because they have to. Not because they're nice people.)

All in all it's a win for everyone, Intel is forced to drive it's prices down. AMD gives us another choice...

UNLESS you're a hackintosher... then... oh well.... :(

You make a good point. :thumbup:

It doesn't matter whether or not AMD is better in any way than Intel, if you wish to get involved in a Hackintosh project then you have to go Intel as that is what, so far, Apple supports. Things may change in the future but that's down to Apple, not Intel or AMD. Who knows what drives their CPU choice? Of course, we can speculate. They dropped PowerPC in favour of Intel ...

Intel may be struggling and giving Apple good reason to consider changing, but I think it's also well-known that Apple is fabricating their own silicon and it might get to the point where their own designs are used. Why switch, short-term, to AMD from Intel when it would cause less headaches to miss AMD out and go straight to their own CPUs?

Last edited:
You make a good point. :thumbup:

It doesn't matter whether or not AMD is better in any way than Intel, if you wish to get involved in a Hackintosh project then you have to go Intel as that is what, so far, Apple supports. Things may change in the future but that's down to Apple, not Intel or AMD. Who knows what drives their CPU choice? Of course, we can speculate. They dropped PowerPC in favour of Intel ...

Intel may be struggling and giving Apple good reason to consider changing, but I think it's also well-known that Apple is fabricating their own silicon and it might get to the point where their own designs are used. Why switch, short-term, to AMD from Intel when it would cause less headaches to miss AMD out and go straight to their own CPUs?

It's really not that hard to get macOS to run on AMD anymore. It just takes some Kernel patches in your Clover config.plist. If hackintoshers can do it so easily, it won't take Apple much effort at all.

It's no surprise to anyone that the AMD CPUs are selling much better than their Intel counterparts and I expect this trend to continue...

This is a video about the new Mac Pro "Why it actually makes sense." that address most of the complaints people are expressing. It starts at the point where Max Tech is talking about the Intel CPUs and why the MP only has PCIe 3.0 slots. He states that it's really not Apple's fault that Intel has been stuck on the 14nm process node for 5 years now.

This is a video about the new Mac Pro "Why it actually makes sense." that address most of the complaints people are expressing. It starts at the point where Max Tech is talking about the Intel CPUs and why the MP only has PCIe 3.0 slots. He states that it's really not Apple's fault that Intel has been stuck on the 14nm process node for 5 years now.

The following video shows how the limits of PCI-e 3 are beginning to be hit. It's a shame that even the next gen Intel CPUs and chipsets don't include PCI-e 4.

It's a shame that even the next gen Intel CPUs and chipsets don't include PCI-e 4.
From sources online that I've read they will be skipping PCIe 4.0 altogether and going to 5.0 instead. When that happens is anyone's guess. Maybe a late 2022 MP refresh with Socket 4697 Xeons and PCIe 6.0. Start saving up your money !!

PCI-Express 6.0
  • Specification targeted for 2021
  • 64 GT/s raw bit rate, up to 256 GB/s with x16
  • Includes low-latency Forward Error Correction (FEC) with additional mechanisms to improve bandwidth efficiency
  • Maintains backwards compatibility with all previous generations of PCIe technology
  • Sources

Last edited:
Was just looking at the best selling CPUs on Amazon.com. 14 out of the top 16 best selling CPUs are AMD Ryzen. This is not just at the low end. The Ryzen 7s and 9s are also outselling higher end Intel CPUs. How did Intel get so far behind ? Apathy mostly and thinking that they could keep charging top dollar and stay on top forever due to their past dominance. The $490 i9-9900K comes in at #12 on the list. Even that will fall lower in 2020. Intel had really offer better value with their April 2020 10th gen desktop CPU release. I really think that Apple is losing it's patience with Intel and could possibly make a switch if Intel doesn't start competing again. For example, the new i9-3900X has 12 cores and 24 threads, is unlocked, has an included cooler and sells for only $3.50 more than an i9-9900K. Go figure.
View attachment 442378

View attachment 442371

View attachment 442373View attachment 442374

View attachment 442372

I recall not too long ago if I typed the word Ryzen on this forum my post would be erased, and a warning followed. Glad to see some openness to alternative CPUs here. It really is a lot easier to get AMD working with the kernel patches.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back