Contribute
Register

Intel HD 4400 Desktop Graphics Fix - Full Support for Alternate CPUs in OS X

Status
Not open for further replies.
Great news everyone! A new set of kexts has been developed called FakePCIID to help those who have unsupported graphics out of the box. They enable full graphics support including OpenGL and OpenCL for many unsupported integrated graphics options, including Haswell Intel HD 4400 desktop graphics.

As described by RehabMan:
Core Image or 'CI' is easy with device-id injection. Quartz Extreme or 'QE' has proved more challenging because the AppleIntelHD5000Graphics.kext checks the PCI device-id. Various binary patches have been tried before, but FakePCIID is a brute force method that tricks the kext into thinking the PCI device (as read from PCI config space) is a supported device (0412).

Instructions for Intel HD 4400 Desktop (Chimera/MultiBeast method)
This is the method I used using default MultiBeast settings. You may also use Clover: install the kexts to your EFI folder, and change config.plist to include the fake device id.

1. Download the latest version of FakePCIID kexts
https://bitbucket.org/RehabMan/os-x-fake-pci-id/downloads

2. Install FakePCIID.kext and FakePCIID_HD4600_HD4400.kext using KextBeast, DPCIManager, or the like

3. Edit /Extra/org.chameleon.Boot.plist to include the following.
(You can test first by issuing the boot flag IGPDeviceID=0412 at startup boot screen.)

Code:
<key>IGPDeviceID</key>
<string>0412</string>

4. Rebuild caches and reboot to fully supported graphics!

I tested using an i3-4150 with default MultiBeast settings. It works great! We think this could be a real gamechanger for budget builds.

Note from RehabMan:
Please note the FakePCIID has uses beyond graphics. It can (and is) being used to enable HDMI-audio for unsupported device-id (FakePCIID_Intel_HDMI_Audio.kext), helps with various WiFi scenarios (rebranding/unsupported device-ids), and could help in other similar situations (certain Intel Ethernet devices?)

[FIX] Intel HD4200/HD4400/HD4600 Mobile on Yosemite
http://www.tonymacx86.com/yosemite-...tel-hd4200-hd4400-hd4600-mobile-yosemite.html

:mrgreen: Credit to RehabMan and the-darkvoid!! :mrgreen:

Thanks to all the testers who made this possible! Please respond to this thread with test results. Have fun!

Okay, I followed this guide and my HD 4400 is still dog slow.

I didn't edit plist for device, I just entered it at startup instead.

I put the FakePCIID.kext and FakePCIID_Intel HD_Graphics.kext using KextBeast only. The rebooted with 0412 flags for HD 4400.

Other than that, I have only used the -v flag to boot USB, and copied the USB files to the SSD after installing Clove r3202 on Yosemite 10.3. The HDD boots with only -v without issue, except graphics draw insanely slow.

My rig is:
Gigabyte GA-H81M-S1, i3-4130T, and 4GB RAM. I boot USB to UEFI mode. Clover 3202, Yosemite 10.3

Okay, I followed this guide and my HD 4400 is still dog slow.

I didn't edit plist for device, I just entered it at startup instead.

I put the FakePCIID.kext and FakePCIID_Intel HD_Graphics.kext using KextBeast only. The rebooted with 0412 flags for HD 4400.

Other than that, I have only used the -v flag to boot USB, and copied the USB files to the SSD after installing Clove r3202 on Yosemite 10.3. The HDD boots with only -v without issue, except graphics draw insanely slow.

My rig is:
Gigabyte GA-H81M-S1, i3-4130T, and 4GB RAM. I boot USB to UEFI mode. Clover 3202, Yosemite 10.3

Attach ioreg as ZIP: http://www.tonymacx86.com/audio/58368-guide-how-make-copy-ioreg.html. Please, use the IORegistryExplorer v2.1 attached to the post! DO NOT reply with an ioreg from any other version of IORegistryExplorer.app.

Attach EFI/Clover folder as ZIP (press F4 at main Clover screen before collecting). Please eliminate 'themes' directory. Provide only EFI/Clover, not the entire EFI folder.

Attach output of (in Terminal):
Code:
sudo touch /System/Library/Extensions && sudo kextcache -u /

Compress all files as ZIP. Do not use external links. Attach all files using site attachments only.

hey RehabMan
I downloaded El Capitan from the app store and installed it following tony's guide. all seemed fine till i got to doing the graphics fix in this thread. everytime I follow these steps, I end up with a black screen after the apple logo. I did clean install three times and its always the same.

Here is the ioreg report. i had to untick "inject intel" from clover boot options for the system to load normally.
View attachment ioreport.zip
thanks for all your help :thumbup:

hey RehabMan
I downloaded El Capitan from the app store and installed it following tony's guide. all seemed fine till i got to doing the graphics fix in this thread. everytime I follow these steps, I end up with a black screen after the apple logo. I did clean install three times and its always the same.

Here is the ioreg report. i had to untick "inject intel" from clover boot options for the system to load normally.
View attachment 186876
thanks for all your help :thumbup:

Things to check:
- IGPU memory set to 64mb
- digital connection to monitor (DVI-D, HDMI, or DP)
- VT-d disabled (or dart=0)

Hi, I installed FakePCIID.kext, FakePCIID_Intel_HD_Graphics.kext
and add to EFI/Clover/config.plist but not thing change? :crazy:

<key>IGPDeviceID</key>
<string>0412</string>

Attachments

• Thanh’s iMac.zip
    431.3 KB · Views: 90
  • config.plist.zip
    2.1 KB · Views: 91
Hi, I installed FakePCIID.kext, FakePCIID_Intel_HD_Graphics.kext
and add to EFI/Clover/config.plist but not thing change? :crazy:

<key>IGPDeviceID</key>
<string>0412</string>

Clover does not use IGPDeviceID (that is Chimera specific). You need to set config.plist/Devices/FakeID/IntelGFX=0x04128086.

Hi!

I'm trying to use this method, but I've got lots of questions... (noob).

- FakePCIID.kext and FakePCIID_HD4600_HD4400.kext must be installed in /S/L/E or in /L/E?
- I can't figure out this part:
3. Edit /Extra/org.chameleon.Boot.plist to include the following.
(You can test first by issuing the boot flag IGPDeviceID=0412 at startup boot screen.)

Code:
<key>IGPDeviceID</key>
<string>0412</string>
Would it be possible doing it with Clover? How?
- How do I rebuild cache?

Thanks!!!

--------

Edit:

I just saw this:
Clover does not use IGPDeviceID (that is Chimera specific). You need to set config.plist/Devices/FakeID/IntelGFX=0x04128086.

!!!!
It's working perfectly!!
Thank you so much RehabMan :):):):)

Last edited:
Hi RehabMan,

I own a Asus H87I PLUS mini-itx mobo with core i3-4130T CPU. I am trying to enable the onboard HD4400 graphics to work but t no avail. I followed post 1 instructions and I am able to boot into OSX but no acceleration at all. I set iGPU to 64mb in BIOS and apart from GPU acceleration and HDMI sound (I will deal with this later) I have enough for a home media centre. Attached are my IOReg file and copy of Clover folder in EFI drive. I also separately attach the config.plist to save someone downloading the zip folder.

Edit: I disabled VT-d in BIOS and I am using HDMI connector to a TV.
Regards.

Attachments

• CLOVER.zip
    4 MB · Views: 112
  • config.plist
    6 KB · Views: 220
  • some iMac.zip
    442.1 KB · Views: 103
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back