Contribute
Register

INTEL CORE i7-7820x PROCESSOR it`s working well in Hackintosh?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here it is:
I found another person online who is also using the 8700K CPU but a different Z370 mobo very similar to mine, just not exactly the same. Anyway. He was kind enough to post his EFI folder. I tried it out and everything worked immediately. Ethernet. Sleep cycle. Sound. iMessage and iChat. all works perfectly.

His post is on another website. If you search online for the following "Gigabyte Z370 AORUS Gaming 7 Hackintosh Build Guide" you will find his post. Basically here is what I did.

0) ADDED NOTE: Due to all the failure I was having I decided to update the BIOS on the motherboard to the latest [EDIT] Gigabyte (is wrong, MSI is the brand, sorry for the typo) for my motherboard. I believe this played a pretty significant part in the final stable build of the station. Obviously you will have to decide if this step is necessary for your build.

1) Erase a spare SSD USB drive.

2) Partition the drive so that there is a 16gb partition. The remainder is fine to format whatever size is left over.

3) Use unibeast to create a bootable drive on the 16gb partition and have it install the EFI boot loader on there along with High Sierra.

4) Connect the USB installer to the new station.

5) Boot off of the usb drive ( this requires you to have already setup the bios for your mobo as best as you can ).

For my mobo ( MSI Z370 Gaming Pro Carbon AC ) the settings are:

1. Save & Exit → Load Optimized Defaults
  2. M.I.T. → Advanced Memory Settings Extreme Memory Profile(X.M.P.) : Enabled
  3. BIOS → Any Fast Boot Opions: Disabled
  4. (BIOS → Windows 7/10 Compatability : Disable all OS options
  5. (BIOS → LAN PXE Boot Option ROM : Disabled) My mobo doesn't have this option.
  6. BIOS → Storage Boot Option Control : UEFI
  7. (Peripherals → Super IO Configuration → Serial Port : Disabled) My mobo does not have any settings for Serial Ports in it. But I'm leaving this in because it was in the instructions I followed.
  8. Peripherals → Network Stack Configuration → Network Stack : Disabled
  9. Peripherals → USB Configuration → XHCI Hand-off : Enabled
  10. Chipset → Vt-d : Disabled
  11. Chipset → Integrated Graphics : Disabled
6) Install the OS first on the remaining partition of your USB Media.

7) When the system reboots you have to pick the remaining partition that you just installed the OS onto.

This may happen a few times. Just keep picking that partition until the install completes.

Another note is you may need to mess around with clover boot flags to get this to finish.

For my mobo "-v dart=0" works sometimes. Other times "npci=0x2000" did the job.

Other times still no boot flags at all. It literally depended on the "mood" of the system.

It was real finaky and made me want to pull my hair out because there was no rhyme or reason for the changes in boot flags required.

8) Once you have a full OS High Sierra installed on the USB media.

You will need a second bootable drive if something goes wrong. Trust me you will need it.

Format the main drive you intend to boot from to:

1. OS X Extended (Journaled)
  2. GUID Partition Map
9) Now boot off of the UEFI USB High Sierra Installer again and install High Sierra onto the main drive of your Hackintosh.

10) Once installed go through the same process of getting the OS to finish installing on your main Hackintosh drive as you did to get it on the USB remaining partition.

11) Once the main drive is bootable, mount the EFI partition of the drive onto your desktop.

11) put a copy of that EFI folder onto a new folder on your USB OS High Sierra drive somewhere you will find it.

12) use multibeast to install EFI boot loader, ALC1220 audio driver, and the default iMac 14,2 identity on the the main drive of your hackintosh.

13) Install the NVidia drivers for High Sierra.

14) Once it finishes it wants you to restart.DO NOT RESTART YET.. Force quit the installer.

13) Now this is where that EFI folder from the guide above comes into play.

14) once you have a bootable main drive on your hackintosh, mount the EFI for that drive onto your desktop.

15) Erase the EFI folder of your EFI drive. YES. Erase it and empty trash.

16) Copy the EFI folder you downloaded from the guide above your EFI partition.

17) Quit every thing. Eject all folders and EFI partitions. Shut down the computer.

18) When it's all shut down, disconnect the USB drive. Then boot up again.

19 ) Pick the newly installed main drive and remove all boot arguments.

20) If everything worked out, your system will boot with every feature active!!!!

21) CELEBRATE!!!!

22) CELEBRATE!!!!!!!!!

23) Remount the EFI partition of your new Hackintosh.

24) Open text editor. Go into preferences for text edit.

25) Change the settings to:

1. New File -> Format: Plain Text
  2. Open and Save -> When saving a file: Uncheck Add ".txt" to plain text files
  3. Open and Save -> When Saving a File -> Opening Files: Unicode (UTF-8)
  4. Open and Save -> When Saving a File -> Saving Files: Unicode (UTF-8)
26) Quit Text Edit. Re open Text edit.

27) Edit the config.plist file in the following EFI/Clover/config.plist with text editor.

28) Do a find for the following string "boot".

29) Look for:

<key>Arguments</key>

<string>dart=0 nv_disable=1</string>

30) Change it to:

<key>Arguments</key>

<string></string>

31) Look for:

<key>DefaultVolume</key>

<string>HighSierra</string>

32) Change it to:

<key>DefaultVolume</key>

<string>NAME OF THE DRIVE YOU CREATED FOR YOUR HACINTOSH</string>

33) Quit everything. Eject the EFI partition. Reboot

34) if everything worked your station should be good to go!

35) CELEBRATE SOME MORE!!!!

36) CELEBRATE SOME MORE!!!!!!!!!

Attachments

• 2017 Hackintosh Station Side View.jpg
    2017 Hackintosh Station Side View.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 523
  • 2017 Hackintosh Station Top Front Angle View.jpg
    2017 Hackintosh Station Top Front Angle View.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 553
  • About_this_mac.png
    About_this_mac.png
    281.5 KB · Views: 596
Last edited:
I will post Cinebench and Geekbench and Black Magick Read/Write results a bit later.
Happy Thanksgiving!!!!!!!!!!!!

UPDATE:
Here are pics from Cinebench and Blackmagic Speed Test.
I still have to perform the Geekbench tests on it.

UPDATE:
I overclocked the CPU to 4.7 GHz on all cores.
Added the geek bench 4 score today.
And updated the Cinebench Scores.

UPDATE AGAIN ( 11/30/2017 )
I found another gentleman who posted his EFI and it works even better than the one I mentioned up above.
Here is his post: https://www.******.com/r/hackintosh/comments/76lsog/success_sierra_10126_onto_coffee_lake_i78700/

I was having intermitant boot issues. Basically sometimes I would get the stop sign on a cold boot. It would boot perfectly fine the second time and every time after that. Just random cold boots. This new EFI is PERFECT. no more boot issues.
I managed to push the overclock to 4.9GHz now too! WOOOHOOOOO!!!!!!

Also I wanted to clarify something about this whole build.
I struggled a lot with trying to get the system stable and bootable.
It would fail a lot ( an insanely numerous amount of time ) just on reboot with no changes to anything.
That's what was happening when I used Unibeasts install of Clover.
If I touched the config.plist file in any way , whether with Text Edit or with Clover Configurator the system was wrecked.
Not bootable at all. I would have to replace the EFI folder again and start over.

The EFI folder I got from the other gentleman's build was made using the harder, hand done way of Installing clover by itself and hand editing the config folder and hand installing any kexts and patches one may need for their mobo and cpu.

Im NOT saying Unibeast is unreliable in any way.

In fact I would like to thank Tonymac and the long list of contributors to this website and software.
The work you guys do is unmatched and irreplaceable!
Thank you!

All I'm saying is that for whatever reason, I could not touch the clover files and basically the EFI folder without making the system un-bootable.
Why that is, I don't know.
But it definitely lead to some hair pulling, praying, heavy drinking and swearing.
Following a slow and methodical method of check each and every possible setting showed me that it didn't matter what I did.
The system would boot one minute and not the other for no reason I could easily discern.

Anyway. If this helps anybody at all, I'm glad to have helped in some tiny way.
Cheers all!

Attachments

• BlackmagicSpeedtest.jpg
    BlackmagicSpeedtest.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 997
  • Cinebench.png
    Cinebench.png
    256 KB · Views: 911
  • Geekbench.png
    Geekbench.png
    398.6 KB · Views: 872
Last edited:
I will post Cinebench and Geekbench and Black Magick Read/Write results a bit later.
Happy Thanksgiving!!!!!!!!!!!!

UPDATE:
Here are pics from Cinebench and Blackmagic Speed Test.
I still have to perform the Geekbench tests on it.

UPDATE:
I overclocked the CPU to 4.7 GHz on all cores.
Added the geek bench 4 score today.
And updated the Cinebench Scores.

UPDATE AGAIN ( 11/30/2017 )
I found another gentleman who posted his EFI and it works even better than the one I mentioned up above.
Here is his post: https://www.******.com/r/hackintosh/comments/76lsog/success_sierra_10126_onto_coffee_lake_i78700/

I was having intermitant boot issues. Basically sometimes I would get the stop sign on a cold boot. It would boot perfectly fine the second time and every time after that. Just random cold boots. This new EFI is PERFECT. no more boot issues.
I managed to push the overclock to 4.9GHz now too! WOOOHOOOOO!!!!!!

Also I wanted to clarify something about this whole build.
I struggled a lot with trying to get the system stable and bootable.
It would fail a lot ( an insanely numerous amount of time ) just on reboot with no changes to anything.
That's what was happening when I used Unibeasts install of Clover.
If I touched the config.plist file in any way , whether with Text Edit or with Clover Configurator the system was wrecked.
Not bootable at all. I would have to replace the EFI folder again and start over.

The EFI folder I got from the other gentleman's build was made using the harder, hand done way of Installing clover by itself and hand editing the config folder and hand installing any kexts and patches one may need for their mobo and cpu.

Im NOT saying Unibeast is unreliable in any way.

In fact I would like to thank Tonymac and the long list of contributors to this website and software.
The work you guys do is unmatched and irreplaceable!
Thank you!

All I'm saying is that for whatever reason, I could not touch the clover files and basically the EFI folder without making the system un-bootable.
Why that is, I don't know.
But it definitely lead to some hair pulling, praying, heavy drinking and swearing.
Following a slow and methodical method of check each and every possible setting showed me that it didn't matter what I did.
The system would boot one minute and not the other for no reason I could easily discern.

Anyway. If this helps anybody at all, I'm glad to have helped in some tiny way.
Cheers all!

a GIANT THANK YOU for your posts ... Amazing ! I finally copied-pasted the EFI folder you shared from ******.. And it worked perfect. I still have some weird behaviors (can't shut down or sleep, it reboots !) but anyway, it's stable, smooth and powerfull...

- since I pasted the EFI folder, clover is just UGLY ahaha ! Low def, and icons missing.. but I can boot properly and the correct definition comes with the apple logo.
- I choosed the APFS format so I can't enable TRIM with my Sata SSD (but it's ok with my NVMe M.2)
- I'm waiting for the CUDA drivers :) (especially for Premiere)

BTW everything else is FINE, so thank you !!!

If you were using the TextEdit app to edit your config.plist it's highly likely that was damaging it to the extent your CustoMac would not boot at all. Clover Configurator can also cause problems. You can use the free from MAS Text Wrangler app to edit the plist without mucking it up.

If you were using the TextEdit app to edit your config.plist it's highly likely that was damaging it to the extent your CustoMac would not boot at all. Clover Configurator can also cause problems. You can use the free from MAS Text Wrangler app to edit the plist without mucking it up.

Thanks so much for the tip!!!!
Had I known that earlier that might have saved me some hair pulling.
The settings changes I made to TextEdit definitely helped though I must say.
The station is super rock solid now. I can mess with the config.plist all day and it isn't anywhere near as sensitive as it was before.

a GIANT THANK YOU for your posts ... Amazing ! I finally copied-pasted the EFI folder you shared from ******.. And it worked perfect. I still have some weird behaviors (can't shut down or sleep, it reboots !) but anyway, it's stable, smooth and powerfull...

- since I pasted the EFI folder, clover is just UGLY ahaha ! Low def, and icons missing.. but I can boot properly and the correct definition comes with the apple logo.
- I choosed the APFS format so I can't enable TRIM with my Sata SSD (but it's ok with my NVMe M.2)
- I'm waiting for the CUDA drivers :) (especially for Premiere)

BTW everything else is FINE, so thank you !!!

YOU ARE VERY WELCOME! Glad I could help, even if it was just a little bit.
I made a custom ssdt file for the station. I don't think I needed to but I figured what the hey.
The method to do it isn't hard. You have to download a script file.
Run it. It generates an aml file custom to your machine.
You put that into the EFI folder, turn off 2 settings in clover. (CStates and PStates have to be turned off)
Reboot and your power issues should go away.

I am of course omitting a lot of details.
The only reason is that there is already a very clear guide to do it here on Tonymac.
It is here:
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/quick-guide-to-generate-a-ssdt-for-cpu-power-management.177456/

With any luck this should fix your remaining issues.

And YES, the version of clover I got from that EFI folder is "ugly", but for me the beauty in it lies in how stable and reliable it is.
So it is literally the most beautiful boot loader I've ever seen, because it saved my bacon!!!!! Lol.
Just curious, how far are you going to push the CPU in overclock?
Best I could get with my cooler and not deliding is 4.9GHz. I'm debating getting a more powerful cooler, 420mm is my thinking.

I'd like to get it to 5GHz or better if I can.

Only just to be able to say I did it.
Honestly the station is amazing!!!!!
It beats my main computer by almost two fold.
My station is the Mac Pro 5,1 12-core with 3.47GHz CPUs and a 980Ti from EVGA. 32gb ram, 6 TB all ssd internal drives.
Once I upgraded everything I could pull out of it, this station beats my work Mac Pro.
It is Mac Pro 6,1 12-core 2.7GHz with 32gb ram and NVME 1 tb hard drive.

Last edited:
YOU ARE VERY WELCOME! Glad I could help, even if it was just a little bit.
I made a custom ssdt file for the station. I don't think I needed to but I figured what the hey.
The method to do it isn't hard. You have to download a script file.
Run it. It generates an aml file custom to your machine.
You put that into the EFI folder, turn off 2 settings in clover. (CStates and PStates have to be turned off)
Reboot and your power issues should go away.

I am of course omitting a lot of details.
The only reason is that there is already a very clear guide to do it here on Tonymac.
It is here:
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/quick-guide-to-generate-a-ssdt-for-cpu-power-management.177456/

With any luck this should fix your remaining issues.

And YES, the version of clover I got from that EFI folder is "ugly", but for me the beauty in it lies in how stable and reliable it is.
So it is literally the most beautiful boot loader I've ever seen, because it saved my bacon!!!!! Lol.
Just curious, how far are you going to push the CPU in overclock?
Best I could get with my cooler and not deliding is 4.9GHz. I'm debating getting a more powerful cooler, 420mm is my thinking.

I'd like to get it to 5GHz or better if I can.

Only just to be able to say I did it.
Honestly the station is amazing!!!!!
It beats my main computer by almost two fold.
My station is the Mac Pro 5,1 12-core with 3.47GHz CPUs and a 980Ti from EVGA. 32gb ram, 6 TB all ssd internal drives.
Once I upgraded everything I could pull out of it, this station beats my work Mac Pro.
It is Mac Pro 6,1 12-core 2.7GHz with 32gb ram and NVME 1 tb hard drive.

Thank you for the tip / the link. I'm gonna try if it seems "safe" ;) To be honest, I even didn't make any research to solve my little issues.. Too worried about changing the EFI again... It's my very first hackintosh and I'm not comfortable with the process. Before I try your solution, I had many difficulties with Clover Configurator (which is like Chinese to me).

My biggest fear is to not be able to boot if something goes wrong. Fortunately it didn't happen but I red so many unlucky users in the forums.. brrrr..!

So, you'll be probably a bit disappointed with my answer : I didn't OC my CPU yet, because I need to get more information to do it properly... I like experimenting, but carefully ;) Do you use an additional software to do it ? Or directly in the UEFI ? I have a "regular" Noctua NH-D15s, so I should get something like 4.7Ghz. It would be nice.

And thank you for comparing with your mac pro 5,1 and 6,1.. I hesitated between an upgraded 5,1 and my actual hackintosh config. Your results confirm I made the right choice. (I come from an old 2011 MBP 2.2Ghz.. that's why I said "powerfull" :) )

Last edited:
Thank you for the tip / the link. I'm gonna try if it seems "safe" ;) To be honest, I even didn't make any research to solve my little issues.. Too worried about changing the EFI again... It's my very first hackintosh and I'm not comfortable with the process. Before I try your solution, I had many difficulties with Clover Configurator (which is like Chinese to me).

My biggest fear is to not be able to boot if something goes wrong. Fortunately it didn't happen but I red so many unlucky users in the forums.. brrrr..!

So, you'll be probably a bit disappointed with my answer : I didn't OC my CPU yet, because I need to get more information to do it properly... I like experimenting, but carefully ;) Do you use an additional software to do it ? Or directly in the UEFI ? I have a "regular" Noctua NH-D15s, so I should get something like 4.7Ghz. It would be nice.

And thank you for comparing with your mac pro 5,1 and 6,1.. I hesitated between an upgraded 5,1 and my actual hackintosh config. Your results confirm I made the right choice. (I come from an old 2011 MBP 2.2Ghz.. that's why I said "powerfull" :) )
I have some cinebench scores and geekbench scores of my Mac Pro 5,1
They confirm what I'm saying.

As far as Overclocking, my mobo has all the features I need to do it safely. I typed in 49 in the multiplier and 4.9ghz on all cores happened just like that. I didn't mess with voltages or anything. I keep those settings on "auto".
Cooling the CPU I'm using a Coolermaster Liquid Pro Liquid cooler AIO. 240mm.

As far as the EFI folder is concerned, The one you are using, the same one I'm using is rock solid and very stable. You can mess with it all you want. And if the system does become unstable you can just put the same old EFI back on there and try again. What I do is after every successful EFI change I back up the EFI folder so I won't lose too much in changes and time. I only change one setting at a time too.

Attachments

• Geekbench v4 2017-11-29.png
    Geekbench v4 2017-11-29.png
    86.3 KB · Views: 404
  • Cinebench R15 2017-11-29.png
    Cinebench R15 2017-11-29.png
    121.2 KB · Views: 349
Hi, so you say you used the latest "Gigabyte" BIOS??? I have the exact same combo (MSI GPC + 1080ti). Or did you mean just update to the latest version of the BIOS?

Here it is:
I found another person online who is also using the 8700K CPU but a different Z370 mobo very similar to mine, just not exactly the same. Anyway. He was kind enough to post his EFI folder. I tried it out and everything worked immediately. Ethernet. Sleep cycle. Sound. iMessage and iChat. all works perfectly.

His post is on another website. If you search online for the following "Gigabyte Z370 AORUS Gaming 7 Hackintosh Build Guide" you will find his post. Basically here is what I did.

0) ADDED NOTE: Due to all the failure I was having I decided to update the BIOS on the motherboard to the latest Gigabyte for my motherboard. I believe this played a pretty significant part in the final stable build of the station. Obviously you will have to decide if this step is necessary for your build.

1) Erase a spare SSD USB drive.

2) Partition the drive so that there is a 16gb partition. The remainder is fine to format whatever size is left over.

3) Use unibeast to create a bootable drive on the 16gb partition and have it install the EFI boot loader on there along with High Sierra.

4) Connect the USB installer to the new station.

5) Boot off of the usb drive ( this requires you to have already setup the bios for your mobo as best as you can ).

For my mobo ( MSI Z370 Gaming Pro Carbon AC ) the settings are:

1. Save & Exit → Load Optimized Defaults
  2. M.I.T. → Advanced Memory Settings Extreme Memory Profile(X.M.P.) : Enabled
  3. BIOS → Any Fast Boot Opions: Disabled
  4. (BIOS → Windows 7/10 Compatability : Disable all OS options
  5. (BIOS → LAN PXE Boot Option ROM : Disabled) My mobo doesn't have this option.
  6. BIOS → Storage Boot Option Control : UEFI
  7. (Peripherals → Super IO Configuration → Serial Port : Disabled) My mobo does not have any settings for Serial Ports in it. But I'm leaving this in because it was in the instructions I followed.
  8. Peripherals → Network Stack Configuration → Network Stack : Disabled
  9. Peripherals → USB Configuration → XHCI Hand-off : Enabled
  10. Chipset → Vt-d : Disabled
  11. Chipset → Integrated Graphics : Disabled
6) Install the OS first on the remaining partition of your USB Media.

7) When the system reboots you have to pick the remaining partition that you just installed the OS onto.

This may happen a few times. Just keep picking that partition until the install completes.

Another note is you may need to mess around with clover boot flags to get this to finish.

For my mobo "-v dart=0" works sometimes. Other times "npci=0x2000" did the job.

Other times still no boot flags at all. It literally depended on the "mood" of the system.

It was real finaky and made me want to pull my hair out because there was no rhyme or reason for the changes in boot flags required.

8) Once you have a full OS High Sierra installed on the USB media.

You will need a second bootable drive if something goes wrong. Trust me you will need it.

Format the main drive you intend to boot from to:

1. OS X Extended (Journaled)
  2. GUID Partition Map
9) Now boot off of the UEFI USB High Sierra Installer again and install High Sierra onto the main drive of your Hackintosh.

10) Once installed go through the same process of getting the OS to finish installing on your main Hackintosh drive as you did to get it on the USB remaining partition.

11) Once the main drive is bootable, mount the EFI partition of the drive onto your desktop.

11) put a copy of that EFI folder onto a new folder on your USB OS High Sierra drive somewhere you will find it.

12) use multibeast to install EFI boot loader, ALC1220 audio driver, and the default iMac 14,2 identity on the the main drive of your hackintosh.

13) Install the NVidia drivers for High Sierra.

14) Once it finishes it wants you to restart.DO NOT RESTART YET.. Force quit the installer.

13) Now this is where that EFI folder from the guide above comes into play.

14) once you have a bootable main drive on your hackintosh, mount the EFI for that drive onto your desktop.

15) Erase the EFI folder of your EFI drive. YES. Erase it and empty trash.

16) Copy the EFI folder you downloaded from the guide above your EFI partition.

17) Quit every thing. Eject all folders and EFI partitions. Shut down the computer.

18) When it's all shut down, disconnect the USB drive. Then boot up again.

19 ) Pick the newly installed main drive and remove all boot arguments.

20) If everything worked out, your system will boot with every feature active!!!!

21) CELEBRATE!!!!

22) CELEBRATE!!!!!!!!!

23) Remount the EFI partition of your new Hackintosh.

24) Open text editor. Go into preferences for text edit.

25) Change the settings to:

1. New File -> Format: Plain Text
  2. Open and Save -> When saving a file: Uncheck Add ".txt" to plain text files
  3. Open and Save -> When Saving a File -> Opening Files: Unicode (UTF-8)
  4. Open and Save -> When Saving a File -> Saving Files: Unicode (UTF-8)
26) Quit Text Edit. Re open Text edit.

27) Edit the config.plist file in the following EFI/Clover/config.plist with text editor.

28) Do a find for the following string "boot".

29) Look for:

<key>Arguments</key>

<string>dart=0 nv_disable=1</string>

30) Change it to:

<key>Arguments</key>

<string></string>

31) Look for:

<key>DefaultVolume</key>

<string>HighSierra</string>

32) Change it to:

<key>DefaultVolume</key>

<string>NAME OF THE DRIVE YOU CREATED FOR YOUR HACINTOSH</string>

33) Quit everything. Eject the EFI partition. Reboot

34) if everything worked your station should be good to go!

35) CELEBRATE SOME MORE!!!!

36) CELEBRATE SOME MORE!!!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back