Contribute
Register

INTEL CORE i7-7820x PROCESSOR it`s working well in Hackintosh?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte 370 Aorus Gaming 7
CPU
i7 8700K
Hello guys. Anybody knows if the INTEL CORE i7-7820X PROCESSOR it`s working find in Hackintosh? Anybody tested yet?
It`s the new Series X Intel processor.

Thank`s a lot!!

JULIO FERRARI

Looks like it will only work with High Sierra which is still in the beta stage. Why is it that you need a 600 dollar 8 core CPU ?

Looks like it will only work with High Sierra which is still in the beta stage. Why is it that you need a 600 dollar 8 core CPU ?
Well, it`s simple. Because it is much faster than intel core i7-7700k. Isn`t it? And I will only buy a hackintosh in December. Until then the price dropped. I`m a beginner with "Hackintosh". Can you help me? Can you tell me if there are a big difference in speed between these two processors?

Well, it`s simple. Because it is much faster than intel core i7-7700k. Isn`t it? And I will only buy a hackintosh in December. Until then the price dropped. I`m a beginner with "Hackintosh". Can you help me? Can you tell me if there are a big difference in speed between these two processors?

The only speed advantage the 7820x will have is in heavily multi-threaded applications. Single threaded performance, what you'll likely do most of the time with your CustoMac, will favor the 7700K. More cores don't mean more speed in every use case. Also the base clock of the 7820X is only 3.6 and the 7700K has a base clock of 4.2. You'd only need the 8 core CPU if you are a Pro video editor.

For what most people do with their computer a quad core I5 CPU is more than powerful enough to get the job done. Instead of paying 600 for the CPU invest the saved money into ram and SSD storage. Using an 8 Core 7820X for daily use is like driving a Ferrari to take the kids to school and to buy groceries. You'll likely never use all it's capacity.

Last edited:
The only speed advantage the 7820x will have is in heavily multi-threaded applications. Single threaded performance, what you'll likely do most of the time with your CustoMac, will favor the 7700K. More cores don't mean more speed in every use case. Also the base clock of the 7820X is only 3.6 and the 7700K has a base clock of 4.2. You'd only need the 8 core CPU if you are a Pro video editor.

For what most people do with their computer a quad core I5 CPU is more than powerful enough to get the job done. Instead of paying 600 for the CPU invest the saved money into ram and SSD storage. Using an 8 Core 7820X for daily use is like driving a Ferrari to take the kids to school and to buy groceries. You'll likely never use all it's capacity.
Thank`s a lot man! My future Hackintosh, I will use for 3D jobs. And renderings, in MODO, Cinema 4D and Blender. The Intel Core i7-7700k will work find with the 3D Renders? And I will buy a NVidia GE Force GTX 1080Ti, with 64GB of RAM, with 2 SSDs. Thank`s!

Thank`s a lot man! My future Hackintosh, I will use for 3D jobs. And renderings, in MODO, Cinema 4D and Blender. The Intel Core i7-7700k will work find with the 3D Renders? And I will buy a NVidia GE Force GTX 1080Ti, with 64GB of RAM, with 2 SSDs. Thank`s!

If you can wait a bit the 6 core I7-8700K will definitely be better. Extra cores will help with that software. These are rumored to be released by the end of 2017 but no one knows for sure yet. If you need something right now go with what you have listed in post #5.

From WCCF Tech site
When it comes to performance, the Core i7-8700K delivers 11% better single and 51% better multi-threaded scores compared to the Core i7-7700K. The Core i7-8700K ships with a clock speed of 4.5 GHz in single core mode.

Intel Core i7-8700K – The Coffee Lake Flagship With 6 Cores and 4.3 GHz Boost Across All Cores
The Intel Core i7-8700K will be the flagship processor of the lineup. It will feature 6 cores and 12 threads. The chip will be compatible with the LGA 1151 socket and rumors are that board makers will extend support of Coffee Lake onto 200-series and even 100-series platforms. The chip will be Intel’s first consumer hexa core product and will be based on the 14nm process node.

Last edited:
If you can wait a bit the 6 core I7-8700K will definitely be better. Extra cores will help with that software. These are rumored to be released by the end of 2017 but no one knows for sure yet. If you need something right now go with what you have listed in post #5.

From WCCF Tech site
When it comes to performance, the Core i7-8700K delivers 11% better single and 51% better multi-threaded scores compared to the Core i7-7700K. The Core i7-8700K ships with a clock speed of 4.5 GHz in single core mode.

Intel Core i7-8700K – The Coffee Lake Flagship With 6 Cores and 4.3 GHz Boost Across All Cores
The Intel Core i7-8700K will be the flagship processor of the lineup. It will feature 6 cores and 12 threads. The chip will be compatible with the LGA 1151 socket and rumors are that board makers will extend support of Coffee Lake onto 200-series and even 100-series platforms. The chip will be Intel’s first hexa core product and will be based on the 14nm process node.
Thank`s! I will buy all the equipment only in december 2017. Why not in Black Friday promo?! I live in Sao Paulo - Brazil, and I'm going on vacation to New York in december. Yes, I can wait, of course. But I don`t understand. Earlier, you told me that Intel Core i7-7820X was too expensive and that the 8 cores couldn`t help me. Or that it was not worth buying that processor. And now, with this 6 cores will be better to me? How much will this new processor cost? Do you know? And why these 6 cores it`s better than the 7820X with 8 cores? What's the difference between them. I know that one has 4.3 GHz and the 7820X has 3.6GHz frequency. But one has 8 cores and the new one has 6 cores...Did you mean the use of this new processor (i7-8700K) to work with 3D and renders will be better to me? When they start selling this new processor and do you know if it will work find with a hackintosh? I`m sorry for my ignorance on the subject about processors. Best Regards!

Thank`s! I will buy all the equipment only in december 2017. Why not in Black Friday promo?! I live in Sao Paulo - Brazil, and I'm going on vacation to New York in december. Yes, I can wait, of course. But I don`t understand. Earlier, you told me that Intel Core i7-7820X was too expensive and that the 8 cores couldn`t help me. Or that it was not worth buying that processor. And now, with this 6 cores will be better to me? How much will this new processor cost? Do you know? And why these 6 cores it`s better than the 7820X with 8 cores? What's the difference between them. I know that one has 4.3 GHz and the 7820X has 3.6GHz frequency. But one has 8 cores and the new one has 6 cores...Did you mean the use of this new processor (i7-8700K) to work with 3D and renders will be better to me? When they start selling this new processor and do you know if it will work find with a hackintosh? I`m sorry for my ignorance on the subject about processors. Best Regards!
The new I7-8700K will cost about $329 USD according to estimates I've read online. Due to the new Ryzen 7 competition Intel won't raise the price to $399 or something crazy like that. They would lose too many sales.

The 8 core I7-7820X uses the X299 chipset motherboards which are completely different than either Z270 or Z370. The problem with an X299 system build is the complexity of installing and configuring macOS on that system. If this is your first build, start with Z270 or Z370 once it's released. If you spend a large amount of money and can't get an X299 hackintosh to work fully what good would that be ? For a beginner the Z270/370 will be challenging enough for you. It will also save you some money and perform quite well. You'll need to trust my advice on this as you have no previous hackintosh experience to go by.

Last edited:
The new I7-8700K will cost about $329 USD according to estimates I've read online. Due to the new Ryzen 7 competition Intel won't raise the price to $399 or something crazy like that. They would lose too many sales.

The 8 core I7-7820X uses the X299 chipset motherboards which are completely different than either Z270 or Z370. The problem with an X299 system build is the complexity of installing and configuring macOS on that system. If this is your first build, start with Z270 or Z370 once it's released. If you spend a large amount of money and can't get an X299 hackintosh to work fully what good would that be ? For a beginner the Z270/370 will be challenging enough for you. It will also save you some money and perform quite well. You'll need to trust my advice on this as you have no previous hackintosh experience to go by.
But of course I rely on your knowledge and advice. But do these boards that you mentioned (Z270/Z370) fit for this new processor? Accept this new processor well? Can I use i7-8700K in Hackintosh computer? And yes, it will be my first Hackintosh, and I have a friend who knows and assembles hackintosh computers, he will ride mine. Thank`s a lot again! For your help, patience and advice.

Last edited:
But of course I rely on your knowledge and advice. But do these boards that you mentioned (Z270/Z370) fit for this new processor? Accept this new processor well?

The I7-8700K will fit the same socket as the I7-7700K. Articles I've read suggest that you will be able to use an 8700K in a Z270 motherboard. It depends on what Intel and the motherboard makers do later this year. The 7700K already works natively in a hackintosh. If you need to use a fake CPU ID for an 8700K for a while that works perfectly well too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back