Contribute
Register

INTEL CORE i7-7820x PROCESSOR it`s working well in Hackintosh?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks! I didn't want to brick my MB

OK, so I was able to get installed .NVIDIA Web driver isn't working, but I did want you to know that installing to the USB isn't necessary. If you "Show All Devices" in DiskUtil during the first install, you can partition your main drive.

I have some cinebench scores and geekbench scores of my Mac Pro 5,1
They confirm what I'm saying.

As far as Overclocking, my mobo has all the features I need to do it safely. I typed in 49 in the multiplier and 4.9ghz on all cores happened just like that. I didn't mess with voltages or anything. I keep those settings on "auto".
Cooling the CPU I'm using a Coolermaster Liquid Pro Liquid cooler AIO. 240mm.

As far as the EFI folder is concerned, The one you are using, the same one I'm using is rock solid and very stable. You can mess with it all you want. And if the system does become unstable you can just put the same old EFI back on there and try again. What I do is after every successful EFI change I back up the EFI folder so I won't lose too much in changes and time. I only change one setting at a time too.

Hi,

I just tried to change the settings to OC my CPU. There is an option in the UEFI called "upgrade to" which allows to automatically OC the Coffe Lake CPU's (i5K and i7K). I selected 4.8 Ghz and everything seems to be fine. I prefer to not go higher because I don't use watercooling, and I prefer having a balance between power / stability / durability :) Temp is ok, from 26°C (idle) to 70°C during charge.. so I'm pretty sure I can reach 4.9Ghz without any trouble. Here is my Geekbench result. It beats the 12 Cores Macpro or not far... great :D

About the EFI folder, how do you replace the wrong one by your backup if you're not able to boot anymore ?

thanks in advance

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-12-11 at 10.56.35.png
    Screen Shot 2017-12-11 at 10.56.35.png
    116.7 KB · Views: 240
  • Screen Shot 2017-12-11 at 11.10.14.png
    Screen Shot 2017-12-11 at 11.10.14.png
    108.3 KB · Views: 242
Last edited:
Hi,

I just tried to change the settings to OC my CPU. There is an option in the UEFI called "upgrade to" which allows to automatically OC the Coffe Lake CPU's (i5K and i7K). I selected 4.8 Ghz and everything seems to be fine. I prefer to not go higher because I don't use watercooling, and I prefer having a balance between power / stability / durability :) Temp is ok, from 26°C (idle) to 70°C during charge.. so I'm pretty sure I can reach 4.9Ghz without any trouble. Here is my Geekbench result. It beats the 12 Cores Macpro or not far... great :D

About the EFI folder, how do you replace the wrong one by your backup if you're not able to boot anymore ?

thanks in advance
When you mount the EFI partition to your main drive, just make a copy of the entire EFI folder to another drive. I keep it in a folder on my USB drive that I used to partition and install High Sierra onto the computer in the first place. Since I know the USB drive can boot the system, if I mess up the one on the computer I can boot off of the USB drive and replace the EFI folder. Just delete the old EFI folder and copy back the good one. Empty trash, unmount all EFI folders and external disks. Reboot. I prefer a cold boot after a major change, but I doubt it would be necessary.
And a 4.8GHz OC is very respectable on air alone.

OK, so I was able to get installed .NVIDIA Web driver isn't working, but I did want you to know that installing to the USB isn't necessary. If you "Show All Devices" in DiskUtil during the first install, you can partition your main drive.
If you want I can post my current EFI folder.
Everything works on mine.
It's attached.
I hope it helps you out.

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    16.7 MB · Views: 125
The only speed advantage the 7820x will have is in heavily multi-threaded applications. Single threaded performance, what you'll likely do most of the time with your CustoMac, will favor the 7700K. More cores don't mean more speed in every use case. Also the base clock of the 7820X is only 3.6 and the 7700K has a base clock of 4.2. You'd only need the 8 core CPU if you are a Pro video editor.

For what most people do with their computer a quad core I5 CPU is more than powerful enough to get the job done. Instead of paying 600 for the CPU invest the saved money into ram and SSD storage. Using an 8 Core 7820X for daily use is like driving a Ferrari to take the kids to school and to buy groceries. You'll likely never use all it's capacity.

A recent logic pro x update has the option of become mulithread. So it could work right for giant session with a lot of tracks and that stuff right?

I made a custom ssdt file for the station. I don't think I needed to but I figured what the hey.
The method to do it isn't hard. You have to download a script file.
Run it. It generates an aml file custom to your machine.
You put that into the EFI folder, turn off 2 settings in clover. (CStates and PStates have to be turned off)
Reboot and your power issues should go away.

I am of course omitting a lot of details.
The only reason is that there is already a very clear guide to do it here on Tonymac.
It is here:
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/quick-guide-to-generate-a-ssdt-for-cpu-power-management.177456/

Hi Juliodm,

I tried to create a custom SSDT file to fix the last issues with my hackintosh, but the script seems to not work with the coffee lake CPU's. It gives "unknown processor model". Could you explain how you made it ?

Actually, I noticed my station to get very slow after a while on FCPX. I have to reboot every hours to get back the good performances. I suspect a bad power management..? But as I said previously, I'm not comfortable with the process...

If you have an idea, don't hesitate ;)
Thanks a lot,

max

Hello guys. Anybody knows if the INTEL CORE i7-7820X PROCESSOR it`s working find in Hackintosh? Anybody tested yet?
It`s the new Series X Intel processor.

Thank`s a lot!!

JULIO FERRARI
INTEL CORE i7-7820x is working with hackintosh
This is my post with my comp config. You can use macPro 6.1 or iMacPro1.1 - is the best!!

HI juliodm !

First thank you for your posts that are great help !

I just complete my mackintosh build with a i8700k and Gygabyte MB gaming 3 along with 1080 gtx.

Everything is doing well except I'va made changes in the BIOS for 2 days now and with 47 multiplier (which I saw is the max for this CPU) I run at about 4.55 Ghz and my result in geek benchmark is 5900 and 26900...

I tried everything in the BIOS but it's always the same score (about)...

SO, could you tell me what I have to do in order to OC it to more Mhz and achieve this 30'000 multicore score you have ?

In advance thank you very much for your answer and your time !

Best regards.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back