Contribute
Register

INTEL CORE i7-7820x PROCESSOR it`s working well in Hackintosh?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The I7-8700K will fit the same socket as the I7-7700K. Articles I've read suggest that you will be able to use an 8700K in a Z270 motherboard. It depends on what Intel and the motherboard makers do later this year. The 7700K already works natively in a hackintosh. If you need to use a fake CPU ID for an 8700K for a while that works perfectly well too.

8700K can be used in Z270 motherboards? Are you sure? Because what I have read does not seem to support this assertion, such as :
http://www.pcworld.com/article/3213...-cpus-wont-work-with-todays-motherboards.html

8700K can be used in Z270 motherboards? Are you sure? Because what I have read does not seem to support this assertion, such as :
http://www.pcworld.com/article/3213...-cpus-wont-work-with-todays-motherboards.html
It's still undecided at this point in time. It would make sense for Intel to do this, not so much for motherboard makers that want to sell new Z370 boards later this year and in 2018.

Here's a quote from that PCWorld article:
"If consumers are forced to dump an existing Z270 motherboard for a newer Z370 to get a six-core Coffee Lake CPU, Intel risks driving them into the arms of AMD and its Ryzen CPUs." This is why Intel may change it's stance.

It's still undecided at this point in time. It would make sense for Intel to do this, not so much for motherboard makers that want to sell new Z370 boards later this year and in 2018.

"If consumers are forced to dump an existing Z270 motherboard for a newer Z370 to get a six-core Coffee Lake CPU, Intel risks driving them into the arms of AMD and its Ryzen CPUs." This is why Intel may change it's stance.

Yeah, "may". I would be quite surprised if Intel DO change its stance on this, though it will be a pleasant surprise.

Yeah, "may". I would be quite surprised if Intel DO change its stance on this, though it will be a pleasant surprise.
Would you do the upgrade to the I7-8700K if it's possible on your Z270 board ?

Would you do the upgrade to the I7-8700K if it's possible on your Z270 board ?

No, I don't think I will, even if it is possible for the 8700K to be used on a Z270 motherboard like my own. I don't want to spend another USD350 or so equivalent (assuming that's the price but I would think the price will be close to the 7820X) on a new CPU after purchasing the 7700K not so long ago. And I don't think I need a 6 core CPU for my hackintosh at this moment.

Besides I don't want to use a FakeCPUID to boot MacOS Sierra anyway.

Well, now we can only wait.

Coffee Lake Coming soon.
They have mentioned Chipset which supports particulate processors
That going to be release soon on October 5
Capture.JPG
Capture2.JPG
Capture3.JPG

If you can wait a bit the 6 core I7-8700K will definitely be better. Extra cores will help with that software. These are rumored to be released by the end of 2017 but no one knows for sure yet. If you need something right now go with what you have listed in post #5.

From WCCF Tech site
When it comes to performance, the Core i7-8700K delivers 11% better single and 51% better multi-threaded scores compared to the Core i7-7700K. The Core i7-8700K ships with a clock speed of 4.5 GHz in single core mode.

Intel Core i7-8700K – The Coffee Lake Flagship With 6 Cores and 4.3 GHz Boost Across All Cores
The Intel Core i7-8700K will be the flagship processor of the lineup. It will feature 6 cores and 12 threads. The chip will be compatible with the LGA 1151 socket and rumors are that board makers will extend support of Coffee Lake onto 200-series and even 100-series platforms. The chip will be Intel’s first consumer hexa core product and will be based on the 14nm process node.
Hello. Are we at the end of October and today it is already known if this new Intel Core i7 8700K processor works well in a hackintosh? On which motherboard will it work?

But of course I rely on your knowledge and advice. But do these boards that you mentioned (Z270/Z370) fit for this new processor? Accept this new processor well? Can I use i7-8700K in Hackintosh computer? And yes, it will be my first Hackintosh, and I have a friend who knows and assembles hackintosh computers, he will ride mine. Thank`s a lot again! For your help, patience and advice.

I have just finished my build of 8700K on a Z370 Carbon AC mobo from Gigabyte.
I can tell you its a freaking nightmare getting this thing running.
It's super unstable. Super easy to create a non bootable situation.
Having a second and even third USB drive with a bootable partition on it is absolutely essential.
Sometimes it requires many reboots and it may or maynot boot.
No rhyme or reason for the boot or not boot.
Absolutely maddening. That's just to get the thing to boot.
Once booted you then have to start setting it up and trying to get the Video card working.
I put in a Zotac 1070 Ti.
I cannot put into words the amount of effort it has taken to get it this far.
I've attached my cinebench score.

Attachments

• Hackintosh Cinebench Score.png
    Hackintosh Cinebench Score.png
    86.9 KB · Views: 248
  • Hackintosh_About.jpg
    Hackintosh_About.jpg
    221 KB · Views: 354
Last edited:
I have just finished my build of 8700K on a Z370 Carbon AC mobo from Gigabyte.
I can tell you its a freaking nightmare getting this thing running.
It's super unstable. Super easy to create a non bootable situation.
Having a second and even third USB drive with a bootable partition on it is absolutely essential.
Sometimes it requires many reboots and it may or maynot boot.
No rhyme or reason for the boot or not boot.
Absolutely maddening. That's just to get the thing to boot.
Once booted you then have to start setting it up and trying to get the Video card working.
I put in a Zotac 1070 Ti.
I cannot put into words the amount of effort it has taken to get it this far.
I've attached my cinebench score.

It's possible that you could have a defective motherboard or ram. Try installing Windows 10 on it first and rule out any possible hardware issues. Could be faulty ram or PSU or anything else. It may also be that you don't have all the UEFI settings just right. It takes a lot of time to do all the proper testing so don't be in a hurry to get macOS installed.

Not everyone trying coffee lake is reporting the level of difficulty that you are. Have a look in User Builds

"Erik"
Moreover, this was one of the easiest builds I've ever done, and I've probably done 10 by now.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back