Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
MSI Z170A Gaming M5
CPU
Intel Core i7-6700k
Graphics
Asus Dual GTX 1060
Hi,

Can someone link me an up-to-date guide to installing windows 10 on my hackintosh?

I have a 2tb hdd and a 256 gb ssd, and I want windows on the HDD.

I already have an ISO file of Windows 10.

Is using Bootcamp to create a partition and bootable drive advisable?

Thanks.

Hi,

Can someone link me an up-to-date guide to installing windows 10 on my hackintosh?

I have a 2tb hdd and a 256 gb ssd, and I want windows on the HDD.

I already have an ISO file of Windows 10.

Is using Bootcamp to create a partition and bootable drive advisable?

Thanks.
Take a look at the 'Sticky' guides in the Multi Booting forum.

Can I just make a partition on the HDD with Disk Utility and make the Windows installer install on that partition?

Sounds much simpler.

before i install windows (to another drive in macOS box), i insert windows install media usb while in macOS, shut down macOS system, disconnect the clover drive (macOS), restart and boot to bios, set secure boot to 'windows', windows install media usb to boot first, then save and exit. reboot to windows installer usb, install windows to target drive, shut down, remove windows install media usb, reinsert clover/macOS drive, reboot to uefi bios and reset secure boot to 'other', set macOS drive as first boot, save and reboot. upon reboot, clover macOS boot options appear, along with a new windows OS choice.

Last edited:
I just installed 2 days ago windows 10 to separate HDD. I dont know how many drives connection on your computer(I have 4) but before the installation first create your Windows installation USB then disconnect all drivers just leave the windows drivers in your computer. I dont say remove it just unplug the cables. After finished the installation you can connect again.

Then follow these instructions;

- boot Windows installer USB with hotkey
- at first screen press Shift+F10 to get command prompt (hit enter after each line to type)
- type: diskpart
- type: list disk (so you're certain of the disk you're working with, say it is disk 0)
- type: select disk 0
- type: clean (don't blame me if you don't know what this does - hope there was nothing on that drive you wanted to save)
- type: convert gpt
- type: create partition efi size=200
- type: format quick fs=fat32 label="EFI"
- type: exit
- type: exit

After finished installation shut down your computer and connect your other drives and first startup go to your BIOS and choose your OSX drive for first boot. Thats it you will see all your drives on your clover GUI.

telepati, does your bios auto select secure boot to windows uefi loader when it sees the MS install media? i would think you would have issues booting to install media and/or the windows target drive initially. i have to set secure boot to 'windows' to load whatever keys are required, then after install i change it back to 'other' to allow clover to handle boot chores (re macOS and newly added windows option)...

Anyone - will using Bootcamp to create a partition and bootable drive work? If not, why?

I just want to understand why there seems to be a special procedure vs using Bootcamp on a normal Mac.

Bootcamp is more than just installing Windows.

Of course.

So why is there a complicated procedure involving multiple USB drives if one can run Bootcamp and install windows that way?

EDIT: So if I can install Windows onto an empty partition using a bootable drive, will it mess with clover's setup? Will I be able to select windows from clover like I do for Sierra? Is clover system-wide? What is the difference between pressing a hotkey to access the boot options and Clover?

If I install Win 10 onto a separate partition, will Clover give me the option to boot from it?

Sorry, I just need to understand how Clover is related to booting up, so I can decide what to do.

Last edited:
why don't you try out your ideas? i think most of us experiment...have you searched re your inquiries? there are many many listings via google. that said, using a second drive is easy and somewhat of a failsafe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back