Contribute
Register

Installing Linux alongside Hackintosh (HELP!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
ASUS ROG MAXIMUS X HERO
CPU
Intel i7 8700K
Graphics
GTX 970
Hi there!

Trying to install Linux alongside Hackintosh onto the same HDD. Clover simply won't boot... =(

I have linux bootloader installed on the same partition that linux. What is going to happen if I use default option and install it to the root of the drive (dev/sda) ? It's going to mess up my EFI partition or simply add Linux entry?

Thank you!

Hi there!

Trying to install Linux alongside Hackintosh onto the same HDD. Clover simply won't boot... =(

I have linux bootloader installed on the same partition that linux. What is going to happen if I use default option and install it to the root of the drive (dev/sda) ? It's going to mess up my EFI partition or simply add Linux entry?

Thank you!
When installing Linux in Legacy Mode on a drive already containing OS X you want to select your root partition for installing grub2. Say your drive looks like this:
dev/sda1 EFI
dev/sda2 OS X
dev/sda3 / = Linux root
dev/sda4 swap
dev/sda5 Home

You would need to select dev/sda3 as the partition to install Grub2

When installing Linux in Legacy Mode on a drive already containing OS X you want to select your root partition for installing grub2. Say your drive looks like this:
dev/sda1 EFI
dev/sda2 OS X
dev/sda3 / = Linux root
dev/sda4 swap
dev/sda5 Home

You would need to select dev/sda3 as the partition to install Grub2

tried, not working.. won't boot! Will try to install to dev/sda

tried, not working.. won't boot! Will try to install to dev/sda

I Have the same problem. I'm installing Linux Mint. What did you find when installing to dev/sda? I'm on my 4th time installing :( trying various choices

I Have the same problem. I'm installing Linux Mint. What did you find when installing to dev/sda? I'm on my 4th time installing :( trying various choices
On what hardware? Please follow the rules and enter your hardware into your profile and/or create a sig.
If installing Linux Legacy mode on same drive as OS X install Grub to Linux root or create a /boot partition and instal there.
If installing Linux UEFI mode on same drive as OS X install Grub EFI partition and edit the config.plist.

Not sure why the build info didn't show up before but it's a Intel® NUC Kit NUC6i5SYH i5-6260U processor. Intel® Iris™ 540 16GB RAM 750GB Crucial SSD. I'm in the process of rebuilding it now using ammulder's guide

You said
If installing Linux UEFI mode on same drive as OS X install Grub EFI partition and edit the config.plist.

Yes, I am installing Linux in UEFI mode. Are you saying I should select the EFI partition when I install Mint? I'll give that a try. What edits should be made to the config.plist file? Can you point me in the right direction?

Thanks

Not sure why the build info didn't show up before but it's a Intel® NUC Kit NUC6i5SYH i5-6260U processor. Intel® Iris™ 540 16GB RAM 750GB Crucial SSD. I'm in the process of rebuilding it now using ammulder's guide

You said

Yes, I am installing Linux in UEFI mode. Are you saying I should select the EFI partition when I install Mint? I'll give that a try. What edits should be made to the config.plist file? Can you point me in the right direction?

Thanks
I do not recall if the Mint installer gives you the option to install UEFI. If it does not, select "Something Else" and set up your partitions manually and make sure you select the EFI partition to install Grub. More terminal work in Linux determining UUID of partitions and some Clover config.plist editing may be required - are post #10 @ https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/clover-and-debian-8.179773/

Sorry I wasn't able to update sooner but I've been away and just got back to this tonight. I was able to fix the problem I was having by using efibootmgr in linux and deleting the entry that referenced "ubuntu." After that, the Clover menu loaded and gave me choices of the macOS, Mint and the recovery partition.

Thanks for the suggestions, they pointed me in the correct direction for what I needed to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back