Contribute
Register

Installing GRUB after the fact

Status
Not open for further replies.
... with the exception of Bluetooth ownership quarrels over the Magic Trackpad; it seems that Mac and Linux refuse to share—to use the trackpad requires re-initializing it every time.

You may want to try other distros, like Mint Linux Cinnamon or MATE, or PCLinuxOS (KDE5 Plasma, MATE). Try just going Live first, to see if the Live CD or LiveUSB works with the trackpad. If those don't work there are dozens more.

Be very careful with KDE5, though, as I almost blew up my OSX and LM MATE this past weekend because of their privs (no sudo). I was trying to make a LibreELEC USB stick and the instructions applied to GNOME. I was a breeze under OSX and I didn't want to bother trying it on Windows10.

The problem isn't that the trackpad doesn't work; it's that, once it's functioning in MacOS, it "locks" itself to MacOS and refuses to work in Linux until it is re-initialized and set up as a new device. Once this is done, it works just fine in Linux.

The same is true when I return to MacOS: the trackpad is now "locked" to Linux and must be re-initialized, and set up again, to work with MacOS.

In other words, (a) as far as the Magic Trackpad is concerned, MacOS and Linux are different machines, (b) the trackpad doesn't have multi-key capability, and so therefore (c) neither OS is the problem; it's the trackpad's fault.

Reboot or cold start (from powered down)? Just wondering. Both running UEFI?

This could help someone. How to make Clover find Grub, using UEFI mode.
A) If you install Linux using a second HD, install Grub on that HD's FAT32 EFI partition, and Clover will find Grub. Clover and Grub will work good.

B) If Linux will be installed on the same HD then Grub will crash Clover software if both are installed sharing the same EFI partition. It seems both can not use de same EFI partition. So, make a second EFI partition, on this HD, only to install Grub. Like Clover's EFI partition, set boot and esp flags for Grub's EFI partition too. Now Clover will find Grub on second EFI partition(see figure) and will start Linux.
Grub-EFI-partition-content.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back