Contribute
Register

Installation Help Needed: Asus P8Z68-M Pro, i7-2600k, HD3000

Status
Not open for further replies.
I did look at these posts before I bought the board. Everyone seems to have no installation issues. They seem to have post-installation issues.

I am not getting past installation issues.

Are you installing from the back or front USB 2.0 ports?

I would PM samisnake. He knows a lot about Asus boards.

Front usb port.

Installation itself is going through fine. No errors of any kind.

Booting after Easybeast is failing.

Without Easybeast, I can boot using the USB any number of times.

Once easybesst is installed, it does not boot.

BTW, I sent a PM to samisnake.

Some progress made. Having issues with getting HD 3000 graphics working.

By trial and error I figured out how to get the machine to boot from the SSD.

I removed LegacyAppleRTC.kext installed by default by MultiBeast for the EasyBeast installation.

I also had to add CPURootUID=1 to the kernel flags in the chameleon boot flags file.

Now it boots.

The Intel HD 3000 graphics is not working above 1024 X 768. I tried configuring the memory in BIOS (384MB and 480 MB) and setting up the system as MacMini and MacBookPro8,1 as described in the blogs and posts. Nothing works.

Additionally, I use HDMI for both video and audio. Getting audio to work over HDMI seems to need a DSDT. I am not sure how to get one for this MB. Thats is the reason I went to EasyBeast in the first place. Is there a way of setting this up without DSDT?

I will keep exploring. All help is appreciated.

Some more progress. Extracted a DSDT and pacthed it based on p8z68-V Pro patch (my MB, P8Z68-M Pro, does not have a patch available).

The extracted DSDT from MB already had blocks of code with Device(SBUS) and Device (HDEF).

So, I got 100s of syntax errors, as the patch added blocks with the same symbols. I fixed them by merging the two SBUS blocks and removing the added HDEF block.

I removed the added HDEF block because it seems to require rolling back of AppleHDA.kext. I read on the HDMI related blog that the rollback should not be done if HDMI audio is required.

On top of that, I also applied ALC892 audio specific patch and got the DSDT to compile without any errors.

On more experimentation I found that my MB needs PCIRootUID to be set to 1. If I set it to 1 in the boot.plist file in /Extra folder, the machine boots but onboard Intel HD 3000 is not working at its full resolution. It works at 1024 X 768.

I changed Name (_UID, Zero) in Device (PCI0) block of the DSDT to Name(_UID, One) and got the machine to boot with the same issue: Intel HD 3000 works at 1024 X 768. Now, I do not need the PCIRootUID to be set in the boot plist.

Experiemting some more, I moved the Name (_UID, One) closer to the beginning of the Device (PCI0) block. Now, the system boots intermittently and fails more often than not.

When it boots, it works at the full Intel HD 3000 resolution (1080p).

When it fails to boot, I see the following 2 lines repated on the screen multiple times before the machine just hangs:

F718x: Fintek: Found unsupported chip ID=0xc3 REVISION=0x33
W836x: found unsupported chip ID=0xc3 REVISION=0x33

Additionally, the following lines may be relevant

Sound assertion ""ERROR: EFI ROM did not publish 'hda-gfx' association propeety!\n"" failed in AppleHDACodecGeneric at line 350
goto ExitError

I am attaching the patched DSDT I am using. It will be a great help if someone can verify the patches and suggest changes. Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• DSDT-ASUS-P8Z68-M-Pro-3702-Patched.dsl
    405.6 KB · Views: 135
Lot of progress made. Only two known issues at this point:

1) Intermittent boot failure:the machine just hangs while booting. Even the reset buttin does not work. I have to switch the power off by holding it for a few seconds. I still don't have a repeatable way of reproducing this.

2) HDMI audio works but there is an intermittent popping noise that sounds very loud. The noise can be reproduced by switching on the laser printer. Popping noise is heard sometimes randomly without any apparant reason.

Otherwise, all other devices I have seem to work: USB, DVD writer, Wifi, HD3000 video, eikon fingerprint reader, etc.

[Success] Asus P8Z68-M Pro, i7-2600k, HD3000, G_Skill 8GB DD

Thanks to the high quality tools provided by this site, my OS-X Lion setup is done except for the few lingering, unresolved issues.

I found the tools to be very helpful and got very specific and useful help from Toleda which helped me with Audio and Video setup.

The biggest problem I faced was not finding information but figuring out what is current and useful and what is outdated. I also did not get a whole lot of helo from the forum members as you can see from this thread.

I extracted the DSDT, patched it to work with OS-X, and modified it to enable HDMI audio, IGPU device-id injection and platform id injection.

Working:

1) Dual boot with Windows 7 using EFI partition
2) HD3000 1080P Video on HDMI
3) HDMI audio
4) Wi-Fi via USB
5) Logitech Wireless Illuminated KB & MX Performance Mouse
6) IO Gear BT Adapter via USB

May be working but not tried:
1) USB3
2) eSata
3) Hot swap SATA
4) Logitech Web Camera
5) Fingerprint reader (supported by OS-X)

Lingering issues:

1) HDMI audio works with occassional popping. Popping is consistent when the Laser Printer is switched on.

2) Overclocking causes boot failure. Windows works but OSX does not boot. When boot is successful, the machine works without any issues.

I am attaching the patched DSDT.

Attachments

• DSDT-ASUS-P8Z68-M-Pro-3702-Patched.aml
    45.4 KB · Views: 133
Have you looked at this thread? Its real important if you plan on overclocking. The patched BIOS should fix those problems
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=49340

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back