Contribute
Register

Install Guide/Discussion Thread for HP Probook 4530s!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Install Guide/Discussion Thread for HP Probook 4530s V2!

Gonna pull the trigger on a 4530s next week....

Quick question: I'm considering getting a 4530s with the i5 processor. Will there be much of a speed increase from the i3 processor? Will be doing camera tethering ( camera will be attached to the 4530s and downloading images as I shoot ). The 4530s will be more an a image organizer than a full blown image editing tool. Will do some light editing of images in Lightroom and Photoshop but nothing major.

Will there be any issues with this install and the i5 processor or will Chameleon/Chimera take care of the processor.

Thanks! John

Will there be any issues with this install and the i5 processor or will Chameleon/Chimera take care of the processor.

Thanks! John

I installed on i5 2.29Ghz. It's working smooth and fast.

On my first install I didn't try to patch the DSDT until after I had checked out the system, tweaked it to my liking, etc. The patcher gave me 201 compile errors and I could never get a clean one.

I had to do a clean install. Be sure to have Java available for install after the desktop loads. Then run DSDT patcher. I did that before installing the kext pack (2.3.3 at this time)

I found after installing the boot loader and kext pack (2.3.3) that I had to boot once in safe mode (-x) or I would get a KP. Boots fine after that EXCEPT always reloads all kexts (-f) Any help with this would be appreciated.

EugeneY said:
10.7.2 GM released. Do you tested it with your pack?

Can't discuss that.

John V said:
Gonna pull the trigger on a 4530s next week....

Quick question: I'm considering getting a 4530s with the i5 processor. Will there be much of a speed increase from the i3 processor? Will be doing camera tethering ( camera will be attached to the 4530s and downloading images as I shoot ). The 4530s will be more an a image organizer than a full blown image editing tool. Will do some light editing of images in Lightroom and Photoshop but nothing major.

Thanks! John

No issues, but I can't say for the speed difference.

What part of that plist are you saying matters in terms of the speed increase?

That's essentially the same as the one in the pack.

Did a fresh format last night. I was able to connect to multiple wireless networks but as soon as I got to University of Washington it was the same story as before. It only connects in one library and nowhere else... I don't know why this is at all. It has to be a driver issue because no one else has ever experienced this problem.

Reinstalled again :p Had the mbr patched(?) Lion on before. Now I got a triple boot 4530s i3 6Gb Ram with Lion, Win7 and Kubuntu using blueking pack except for ethernet. Nice work blueking and others :clap:

Installed on a hybrid gpt/mbr disk
Removed the ethernet kext from extra.kext and installed linx2mac v0.90 to avoid KP.
everything works as promised after a few reboots, had to activate wifi in windows before i got it working in lion though. My external usb3 hdd shows up on the Super High Speed USB bus in system profiler, so i guess usb3 is working too :)
HD3000 shows 384M ram.

Chimera/Chameleon didn't recognize the linux install, so i boot with grub2 which chainloads Chameleon2.1svn r1573 on osx partition.

The whole mkext thing is a red herring. Its just contains the same Jmicron and Voodoo battery kext as in the pack.

Why it improves performance has nothing to do with the mkext contents. It must be causing a side effect which allows the performance increase.

gerard71 said:
fonorono said:

Thanks! John

I installed on i5 2.29Ghz. It's working smooth and fast.

On my first install I didn't try to patch the DSDT until after I had checked out the system, tweaked it to my liking, etc. The patcher gave me 201 compile errors and I could never get a clean one.

I had to do a clean install. Be sure to have Java available for install after the desktop loads. Then run DSDT patcher. I did that before installing the kext pack (2.3.3 at this time)

I found after installing the boot loader and kext pack (2.3.3) that I had to boot once in safe mode (-x) or I would get a KP. Boots fine after that EXCEPT always reloads all kexts (-f) Any help with this would be appreciated.

for i5 there must be a chameleon instead of chimera there are more startup problem after

Then if you want to speed up the i5 without losing the old install the package normally, then put it in the folder extra extentions.mkext and org.chameleon.boot.plist

it is set to start on the 0.2 partiton if your lion is not the score change in the 0.2 org.chameleon.boot.plist before restarting

nullcpupower remove if you put

I did all the above in several stages to see what was causing the change.

First I added extensions.mkext to /Extra

reboot: no change

Then I added the linked boot.plist, replacing the existing one

reboot: no change

Then I installed Chameleon where Chimera used to be

reboot: KP on VoodooHDA

reboot -x: removed boot.plist and replaced it with the original

reboot: working desktop.

I then tok the original boot.plist and added a few lines from the linked one and now I have:

33 second boot! Yeah!

The whole mkext thing is a red herring. Its just contains the same Jmicron and Voodoo battery kext as in the pack.

Why it improves performance has nothing to do with the mkext contents. It must be causing a side effect which allows the performance increase.

When we say performance increase, are we just talking about a faster boot, i.e.. not loading the kextcache every time?
And can someone tell me what Extensions.mkext is?

EDIT: identified KP better

I removed extensions.mkext and the system boots perfect in an average of 36 seconds.

Chameleon seems to be the important part of getting the i5 to boot as asked.

I'm using gerard71's method and it works great.

Geekbench score: 6452

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2011-10-03 at 4.46.23 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2011-10-03 at 4.46.23 PM.png
    76.9 KB · Views: 106
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back