Contribute
Register

"Install Failed. OS X could not be installed on your computer

Status
Not open for further replies.
What is the size of the disk partition? Because OSX won't boot from a partition greater than 1GIgabyte. I used a 500 gb boot disk for mine...

GaryG

Thanks for the replies guys.

As requested Seaker, here are screens from the Disk Utilities windows.

View attachment 44326View attachment 44327View attachment 44329

I will follow up later with a complete run down of how everything is set in the BIOS. I think maybe there is still some small setting incorrect. Not sure.

What are your thoughts on trying a restore from time machine? Could that work do you think?

If I remember correctly, you may not be able to install OSX on a hard disk partition larger than 1TB. I would suggest you try and repartition your hard disk with at least 2 partitions with the OSX partition smaller than 1TB to see if you can now install Mountain Lion.

Thanks for the suggestions guys....

Doesn't seem that the HDD is the problem :(

I tried using a 500Gig Seagate I had laying around and still got the same error. :(

I'm now wondering if my Unibeast Installer might be corrupt. I'm going to try to recreate the USB disk with a different thumbdrive and see what happens.

I'll report back with those resluts.

Ok. I re-created the Unibeast USB drive & tried the new one. I know I saw a post about this somewhere but have been unable to find it again.. This time on booting, I get to the Chimera screen, try to boot from Unibeast, and get to the grey Apple screen but it stops with... like a no-access type of icon. (Like a no smoking sign without the cigarette. This was how it was described in the thread I can't find now.

Is anyone familiar with this issue and can direct me to the thread that was talking about it... or a solution preferably ;p

On a side note, I thought I'd try a restore from TM on the 2TB dive and it looked like it worked! Everything was working & stable without doing anything as far as Multiboot even (Didn't get a chance to test sound yet). The issue with that was I could only get it to boot as long as the Unibeast disk was in a USB port. Does anyone have any suggestions on that route maybe?

Ok.soo today I thought that my issue with tm might have been that the HD was to big as suggested as well. So I tried it with the 500 gig HD. Again I run into the same issue. Can't boot to it without the chimera USB stick :(

Anyone have any suggestions on what to try next?

The only thing what comes to my mind is using F7 BIOS. I do not know if you can get it when contacting Gigabyte Support if you haven't done that.

Otherwise I have no idea anymore.

Ok.soo today I thought that my issue with tm might have been that the HD was to big as suggested as well. So I tried it with the 500 gig HD. Again I run into the same issue. Can't boot to it without the chimera USB stick :(

Anyone have any suggestions on what to try next?

Run Multibeast on the drive and select:
USERDSDT
Atheros Ethernet driver
For Audio drivers, download from here: http://www.osx86.net/downloads.php?do=file&id=3088

Thanks Middleman. It looks like this might the light at the end of the tunnel but now after installing multibeast, the machine hangs on the spinning dial with the grey apple. At this point I'm suspect of faulty Ram. I should be able to grab some new chips this week or next to test & see.

I'll update as I am able to proceed

Taekwondo,

Even if it is at the spinning circle there are things you can still try other things. It can sometimes even be things you've installed that are still conflicting like PCI card, Bluetooth enabled etc.

Just try verbose + safe mode (-v -x) and see where it takes you. Post up any problems that appears.

Thanks Middleman

Ok, I ran it -x -v and did see a few things that caught my eye

1st, early in the boot I noticed the error "header read size 200. incorrect signature" which I've recognized from a few other threads in this forum. Has anyone figured out what this is and how to fix it? It seems to usually be associated with waking up from sleep but this comes up on boot for me.

I also saw the following:

nfs: Removed 15 orphaned / unlinked files and 16 directories

and the system seems to hang on:

WARNING: IOPlatformPluginUtil : getCPUIDinfo : this is an unknown CPU model 0x3a
-- power management may be incomplete or unsupported

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back