Contribute
Register

iMac Pro X299 - Live the Future now with macOS 10.14 Mojave [Successful Build/Extended Guide]

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Maywitt I have a feeling you have a bad motherboard.

Are you able to exchange it at a store so you can avoid RMA with Asus?

From doing some research on that code, it may be a bad mobo.

Also one last thing do you have another macOS gpu you can try temporarily?

Any cheap one will do like an RX570 or even older ones like a 280X.

If it was me I would rush to a local store and grab a RX580 and test it then return it.

Or one other thing is can you move down your current GPU to the 2nd PCIe 16x slot?

@Maywitt, is there jumper settings in your MB to reset BIOS, if so reset jumper and try again.

Hey guys, after finding help in respective threads (ASUS X-299 Deluxe II - Thunderbolt Solution? & i9 9820X kernel panic on install), I want to make a report on my current setup and problems here in the X299 main thread.

My current setup is:
Motherboard: ASUS PRIME X299 DELUXE II
CPU: i9-9940X
GPU: ASUS RX580
RAM: Kingston 32GB (16GBx2) 2666MHz DDR4
SSD: Intel 660p 512GB M.2 SSD

The first CPU I used was i9-9820X, but during the macOS installation, I' ve encounter a kernel panic problem, which was discussed in the i9 9820X kernel panic on install thread. Later, I switched i9-9820X to i9-9940X and successfully installed macOS 10.14.2 without the KP problem.

RX580 works fine with my build for now. Exporting video with H.264 and HEVC are available in Final Cut Pro by exporting the Bruce 5K video test. HEVC encoding is obviously slower than H.264 encoding though.

As for the USB kext, currently I use the X299USB_PrimeDeluxe_II.kext shared by @izo1 (Can't remember which post, but I think it is in this thread), which enables the USB 3.0s on the back panel at full speed. After I get the adapter for the internal USB header, I will also try to do my own USB kext.

Now my problems are with the onboard Aquantia AQC111C 5G LAN and onboard Thunderbolt 3.

Aquantia AQC111C 5G LAN does not work in macOS, even though I tried both kexts to patch in 10.13&10.14 guides.
(AppleEthernetAquantiaAqtion KextPatch provided by @Mieze)

Onboard Thunderbolt 3 isn't hot-pluggable. Using @kgp's SSDT-X299-TB3HP.aml(#1310), the onboard thunderbolt controller didn't show in the PCI chart in the system report, and TB3 hotplug does not work.

Attachments

• AsEvil-iMacPro.ioreg
    20.9 MB · Views: 67
  • Screen Shot 2019-01-23 at 7.44.31 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-01-23 at 7.44.31 PM.png
    435.1 KB · Views: 82
  • AsEvil-10.14.2-Asus-PX299D2-EFI .zip
    46.9 MB · Views: 137
Hey guys, after finding help in respective threads (ASUS X-299 Deluxe II - Thunderbolt Solution? & i9 9820X kernel panic on install), I want to make a report on my current setup and problems here in the X299 main thread.

My current setup is:

The first CPU I used was i9-9820X, but during the macOS installation, I' ve encounter a kernel panic problem, which was discussed in the i9 9820X kernel panic on install thread. Later, I switched i9-9820X to i9-9940X and successfully installed macOS 10.14.2 without the KP problem.

RX580 works fine with my build for now. Exporting video with H.264 and HEVC are available in Final Cut Pro by exporting the Bruce 5K video test. HEVC encoding is obviously slower than H.264 encoding though.

As for the USB kext, currently I use the X299USB_PrimeDeluxe_II.kext shared by @izo1 (Can't remember which post, but I think it is in this thread), which enables the USB 3.0s on the back panel at full speed. After I get the adapter for the internal USB header, I will also try to do my own USB kext.

Now my problems are with the onboard Aquantia AQC111C 5G LAN and onboard Thunderbolt 3.

Aquantia AQC111C 5G LAN does not work in macOS, even though I tried both kexts to patch in 10.13&10.14 guides.

Onboard Thunderbolt 3 isn't hot-pluggable. Using @kgp's SSDT-X299-TB3HP.aml(#1310), the onboard thunderbolt controller didn't show in the PCI chart in the system report, and TB3 hotplug does not work.

Thank you for the info.

It seems that @Maywitt is having KP issues with the 9920X, I wonder if he goes with the 9940X his problems will go away?

You could also save your BIOS settings, shut down your system, remove power cable from PSU, unplug and replug CMOS battery, replug PSU power cable, restart your system and restore BIOS settings.

Unplugging the PSU power cord is actually unnecessary. Simply disable power using the PSU's rocker switch, then press and hold the PC's front panel power switch for several seconds, to discharge the PSU's capacitor.
Then perform any internal maintenance or hardware changes.
Next, return the rocker switch to "ON" position, and finally press the front panel power switch to initiate the PC boot sequence. Leaving the PC power cord (from wall outlet to PC) in place also provides a "route to ground", which is preferable to simply unplugging the power cord.
That's all assuming that the wall outlet is correctly wired. There are inexpensive outlet testers that can be used to verify.

My current setup is:

1.) Maybe for some reason the microcodes in the current BIOS for the ASUS Prime X299 Deluxe II do not support the i9-9820X yet? Did anybody of you guys contact the ASUS support hotline to solve this issue? I mean it makes no sense to fill threads with hundreds of posts when finally the error is caused by ASUS! Anyway, @applemacosxGOD successfully runs the ASUS Prime Deluxe II and i9-9920X under 10.13.6 SU and his EFI-Folder is basically the one distributed in the respective X299 Github library. So I see no reason, why at least the i9-9920X should not also work with the ASUS Prime X299 Deluxe II of @Maywitt. No idea though which firmware version @applemacosxGOD is actually employing. Maybe he could also try installing 10.14.3 for testing purposes and for you guys although his Nvidia GPU will be basically useless? @AsEvil now also successfully runs the i9-9940X with the ASUS Prime Deluxe II under 10.14.2. Also he might be able to comment which firmware he is actually employing or if there are any significant deviations for default BIOS settings or EFI-Folder distributions. BTW.. Did anybody of you guys try to run the ASUS Prime Deluxe II with the i9-9920X under 10.14.4 Beta1?

2.) Please use SSDT-X299-TB3HP.aml from post #1,280 and report back with IOREG.save and "PCI" snapshot. You might also want to read post #11,823 in this context. Apparently there remains some DSB2/XHC5 issue yet to be clarified and solved.

3.) I am surprised that the 10.13.3 workaround and subsequent Mieze patch does not work with the 5GB NIC of the ASUS Prime X299 Deluxe II. With the ASUS 10GB NIC PCIe adapter, it perfectly does! But one needs to boot his system up to 20-30 times under 10.13.3 until the firmware update automatically applies once. Did you really do this? I am afraid that currently there is no other solution! In my personal opinion, the 5G NIC is anyway useless within any 10GB home network solution and that's one of several reasons why I did not change to the ASUS Prime X299 Deluxe II yet. Thus, if it would really turn out that the above approach does not work with the 5G NIC of the ASUS Prime X299 Deluxe II, just implement the ASUS 10GB NIC PCIe adapter or the equivalent Sonet solution, which also bases on the Aquantia chipset and works OoB without any modification. @mm2margaret can provide more details on the Sonet solution.

4.) We need one fully implemented and one properly truncated 15-port XHC USB kext for the ASUS Prime X299 Deluxe II. One of you guys have to do that once. @AsEvil, @Maywitt, @izo1, @applemacosxGOD? Both files can be easily derived by minor modifications of my XHC USB kexts for the ASUS Prime X299 Deluxe and by else following my guidelines: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/xhc-usb-kext-creation-guideline.242999/. At most it is a question of 30 min! I don't like that incomplete XHC USB kexts like the current make their round along this thread. It is not the first time that I distribute this request! It is really time to implement a fully implemented and a truncated 15-port XHC USB kext for the ASUS Prime X299 Deluxe II in the XHC USB kext Github library ! I can't make the kexts for you as I do not have this motherboard! And I don't want unnecessary respective discussions here! Just one of you, do it! I can finalise the kexts but I need at least a complete XHC USB port investigation and a respective XHC USB port-layout.rtf for the ASUS Prime X299 Deluxe II! My recent 10.13.6, 10.14.3 and 10.14.4 Beta1 X299 EFI-Folder distributions in the respective Github library now also contain the appropriate USB port limit patches to easily derive a complete USB port-layout under 10.13.6, 10.14.1, 10.14.2, 10.14.3 and even 10.14.4 Beta1! Note that for 10.14.4 Beta1 you need at least Clover_v2.4k_r4862 to properly load all kexts implemented in /EFI/Clover/kexts/Other!

I would appreciate if points 1.) to 4.) could be discussed and solved along the two X299 main threads. The respective points are indeed interesting for everybody involved! The two threads are not only meant for taking but also for providing useful feedback, information and contributions for others! I see absolutely no reason to open separate threads in this forum for the ASUS Prime X299 Deluxe II, which just hampers the overall communication within the X299 community and also any support from my side. The ASUS Prime X299 Deluxe II is nothing special but just another X299 motherboard to be accounted within the guidelines. I see no reason for a change in the overall approach we used so far but I need your respective contributions!

Cheers,

KGP

Last edited:
.) Maybe for some reason the microcodes in the current BIOS for the ASUS Prime X299 Deluxe II do not support the i9-9820X yet? Did anybody of you guys contact the ASUS support hotline to solve this issue? @AsEvil, @Maywitt? I mean it makes no sense to fill threads with hundreds of posts when finally the error is caused by ASUS! Anyway, @applemacosxGOD successfully runs the ASUS Prime Deluxe II and i9-9820X under 10.13.6 SU and his EFI-Folder is basically the one distributed in the respective X299 Github library. No idea which firmware version he is actually employing. BTW.. Did anybody of you guys try to run the ASUS Prime Deluxe II with the i9-9820X under 10.14.4 Beta1?

I think @applemacosxGOD have a i9 9920X CPU not a i9 9820X. And is the only user with a correct running i9 9920X setup.
I try to install 10.13.6 on my board and report the results.

Reactions: kgp
I think @applemacosxGOD have a i9 9920X CPU not a i9 9820X. And is the only user with a correct running i9 9920X setup.
I try to install 10.13.6 on my board and report the results.

True, please see respective modifications under 1.) of post #1,460. Sorry, may bad.. I introduced some typos, fixed now.

Please ask @applemacosxGOD, which firmware he is actually employing and if he also could install 10.14.3 for testing purposes. I guess he is your keystone to make your system boot properly.

Moved to the Evolv X (really well thought out and beautiful case with good airflow) from Meshify C (too small for big rads).

Really loving it so far. Didn't have to get a full open loop setup.

Will post CPU/GPU temp results soon. From initial impressions, temps are running amazingly cool.

1x360mm EKWB-MLC Phoenix for CPU (Intel Waterblock)
1x280mm EKWB-MLC Phoenix for GPU (Vega waterblock) (I also have a 2nd one to add to the loop in case I want to put second Vega FE. I would prefer a single Radeon VII if it's ever supported in macOS)

View attachment 381119

Finally "completed" the above build by having top and front rads as exhaust and rear fan as intake (and replaced with a 140mm Noctua 2000RPM high pressure fan).

7900X (non-Delidded) @ 4.2GHz boost on 10 cores, stock 3.3Ghz base (I want to stay below 90c)
Vega Frontier Edition 16GB HBM2
64GB Crucial DDR4 2400MHz RAM @ 2600MHz

Screen Shot 2019-01-28 at 3.33.12 AM.png

Screen Shot 2019-01-28 at 3.33.17 AM.png

Screen Shot 2019-01-28 at 3.14.44 AM.png

Screen Shot 2019-01-28 at 3.15.28 AM.png

Screen Shot 2019-01-28 at 3.16.05 AM.png

Screen Shot 2019-01-28 at 3.18.21 AM.png

Screen Shot 2019-01-28 at 3.23.19 AM.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back