Contribute
Register

iMac Pro X299 - Live the Future now with macOS 10.14 Mojave [Successful Build/Extended Guide]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello @kgp !!! Can you please give me advice how i can enable thunderbolt hot swap on this board GA-Z87X-UD7-TH ?

Gigabyte board certified with "Falcon Ridge" Thunderbolt 2.0

I'd love to know if you get it working. I have a GA-Z97-UD7-TH that I'd love to get hot swapping on, I could use it in production again. I'm terrible at SSDT editing, otherwise I would try this myself. I am but a beginner in that respect.

I'd love to know if you get it working. I have a GA-Z97-UD7-TH that I'd love to get hot swapping on, I could use it in production again. I'm terrible at SSDT editing, otherwise I would try this myself. I am but a beginner in that respect.

Everybody starts as a beginner once ... ;) This small guideline might help to perform the few necessary edits.

If you are really not able to succeed yourself, upload an IOREG.save of your system.

Good luck,

KGP

Everybody starts as a beginner once ... ;)This small guideline might help to perform the few necessary edits.

If you are really not able to succeed yourself, upload an IOREG.save of your system.

Good luck,

KGP

This guide is awesome! Thanks KGP. I'll give it a try.

Reactions: kgp
Thanks for your reply. I have an Antec Kühler K120...

Temperature seems to be normal to me. Do u think theses guys with a score more than 50.000 are overclocked ?

Best regards

Yes they most likely are. Or even if you enable “sync all cores” you’re already overclocking from the factory settings because Intel only boosts 2 cores I believe by default.

These cpus can get really high benchmarks but you will need really good coolers once you start going out of factory settings.

One 120mm rad might not be enough to tame this beast...

At this moment i get to point where i can reconnect my UAD Satellite Quad in Lower TB port and computer can see it. I make 10 versions of ssdt.aml and this SSDT-TB2-03.aml not shows correct names in ioreg, i have SSDT-TB2-02.aml that show correct devices names but when unplug UAD it's not work until restart. Also attached my patched dsdt.aml

Any advice where to move forward would be nice.
@kgp if you have time can you tell me - am i totally wrong ?

Attachments

• DSDT.aml
    54.1 KB · Views: 62
  • Shall’s iMac-Studio+SSDT-TB2-03.ioreg
    18.6 MB · Views: 68
  • SSDT-TB2-03.aml
    6.9 KB · Views: 78
Here is test files version #2 ioreg react to this SSDT but no hotswap, enough for today, i go to sleep, hope to get any advice! Thanks everybody for everything!

Attachments

• Shall’s iMac-Studio+SSDT-TB2-02.ioreg
    18.8 MB · Views: 66
  • SSDT-TB2-02.aml
    2.3 KB · Views: 60
Moved to the Evolv X (really well thought out and beautiful case with good airflow) from Meshify C (too small for big rads).

Really loving it so far. Didn't have to get a full open loop setup.

Will post CPU/GPU temp results soon. From initial impressions, temps are running amazingly cool.

1x360mm EKWB-MLC Phoenix for CPU (Intel Waterblock)
1x280mm EKWB-MLC Phoenix for GPU (Vega waterblock) (I also have a 2nd one to add to the loop in case I want to put second Vega FE. I would prefer a single Radeon VII if it's ever supported in macOS)

View attachment 381119

Beautiful setup. Super neat. I wonder where they manage to fit the pumps in there.

I've just finished mine. Got a big scare wen removing the radiator from the vega. It was fully stuck, the thermal paste had turned in something like double sided scotch tape. Also, had an issue with one of the standoff that came out of the waterblock and I couldn't get it back in. The standoff thread appeared to be bad and I have no threading tool of that size to fix it :( Doesn't appear to cause an issue seeing the temperature I'm getting on the GPU.

irccloudcapture1716570061459794675.jpg

I used the EKWB performance kit. The EKWB recommended a SE 360mm and a PE 360mm for this case. It was a poor recommendation as I almost couldn't make the tubes go as the radiators touch each other.
So had to drill the case a bit to be able to move down the extraction fan and move towards the back the top radiator.

For the fan I used 3x noctua NF-P12 with the SE360 and the Vardar F3-120 that came with the kit.

I have it setup like this: pump -> PE360 -> CPU -> SE360 -> Vega

Not on the photo, but I also have a nvidia 1080Ti (only to find out that it got in the way of the thermometre gadget and struggle to insert it back in)

Despite all this, I'm getting amazing results.
The VEGA stays at 33C during a run of a dozen Cinebench R15.
Running all the cores at 4.6GHz (with voltage offset of 0.1V for stability) it goes up to 93C only. Cooling water stays at 33C (it's pretty hot today, 29C in my office, 39C outside)
49C at idle.

The D5 pump is a bit noisy, and as I set it up to vary accoring to the CPU temperature, it's a varying noise. It's getting on my nerve. Still this setup is super quiet compare to before. Having the vega watercool made all the difference noise-wise.

I used to have the custom loop Thermaltake watercooler before, I would hit 105C instantly when running at 4.4GHz.

So very please, and proud that I did it all by myself :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Here is test files version #2 ioreg react to this SSDT but no hotswap, enough for today, i go to sleep, hope to get any advice! Thanks everybody for everything!

You have a fully implemented Thunderbolt local node, dude! That's simply awesome and impossible to reach with TB3 controllers for now. HP should work in this case. Did you try to install TB drivers and initialise your TB2 controller in Windows before using the latter under macOS? Maybe this also helps with HotPlug under macOS. Report back in any case about TB and USB functionality under Windows and if HP works in this case.

Anyway, yet I am missing the DSB2 and XHCI implementation in your IOREG save. Does your controller not feature USB2.0, USB3.0 or USB-C?

Yes they most likely are. Or even if you enable “sync all cores” you’re already overclocking from the factory settings because Intel only boosts 2 cores I believe by default.

These cpus can get really high benchmarks but you will need really good coolers once you start going out of factory settings.

One 120mm rad might not be enough to tame this beast...

OK thanks again, will try to check bios settings a little bit. And look for another cooler, maybe a dual cooler will works.

Regards

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back