Contribute
Register

iMac Pro X299 - Live the Future now with macOS 10.14 Mojave [Successful Build/Extended Guide]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry to bump the thread again..but anyone have an idea about this kernel panic?

My system froze again.

Debating if I should do another fresh install.
Looking at error message it looks like a memory or driver issue. I found similar error message using google, and it was determined to be that.
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/8401031

I also found more info about understanding kernal panics.
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT200553

Looking at your drivers, it looks like Lilu needs updating. V1.3.0 Fixed a rare kernel panic on user patch failure. Not sure if this is it, but it might be easy fix.

Looking at error message it looks like a memory or driver issue. I found similar error message using google, and it was determined to be that.

Looking at your drivers, it looks like Lilu needs updating. V1.3.0 Fixed a rare kernel panic on user patch failure. Not sure if this is it, but it might be easy fix.

Note that not all plugins are yet updated to work with Lilu 1.3.0

Does anyone have NVMe speed issues on X299 motherboard? I've installed mojave according to this manual (asus x299-a prime motherboard) and tried two nvme cards - intel p3700 and toshiba xg3, both benchmarked read speed at ~1000mb/sec, but both must have ~3000mb/s speed. I've tested same toshiba xg3 on my dell 7510 hackintosh (also mojave) - it have 2700mb/s read speed, but on x299 only 1000mb/s.

Does anyone have NVMe speed issues on X299 motherboard? I've installed mojave according to this manual (asus x299-a prime motherboard) and tried two nvme cards - intel p3700 and toshiba xg3, both benchmarked read speed at ~1000mb/sec, but both must have ~3000mb/s speed. I've tested same toshiba xg3 on my dell 7510 hackintosh (also mojave) - it have 2700mb/s read speed, but on x299 only 1000mb/s.
Just for understanding, did you install a NVME drive in a motherboard M.2 connector or did you install it in a M.2 to PCI-E adapter and connect the card to a PCI-E slot on the motherboard?

I'm planning a 12-16 drive RAID with Samsung QVO SSD in RAID 0. This is for my company, which specializes in color correction. It's necessary for each of the 4 color suites to attain around 1500-2000 MB/s read. 10gbe is almost there, but I need at least 20gbe on the client side, then dual 40gbe on the server side. This is not for a home setup. I wish 10gbe was good enough, or that someone had got Thunderbolt ethernet working on Hackintosh.

Have you looked at ethernet port bonding? It combines the bandwidth of multiple ports. Even my lower-end QNAP 8 bay supports it. With 4x 10gbps SFP+ ports you could get a theoretical 40gbps using standard (and less expensive) 10gbe hardware.

Just for understanding, did you install a NVME drive in a motherboard M.2 connector or did you install it in a M.2 to PCI-E adapter and connect the card to a PCI-E slot on the motherboard?

I've tried two NVMe drives:
1) toshiba xg3 inserted into motherboard m.2 connector
2) intel p3700 inserted into pcie slot
both works near 2-3 times slower than they must (compared to their performance on the same machine but with windows 10)

Thanks!

I have the latest Lilu + WG, will try rolling back to an older one for both.

I've tried two NVMe drives:
1) toshiba xg3 inserted into motherboard m.2 connector
2) intel p3700 inserted into pcie slot
both works near 2-3 times slower than they must (compared to their performance on the same machine but with windows 10)

Could you try another M.2 socket? Some M.2 sockets share resources with other parts of the mobo. Check your motherboard manual to see which is the best option.

OK, gang... I seem to be stuck, so if there are any X299 Designare EX users doing this successfully, I'd appreciate your thoughts (actually, ANYONE is welcome to share their thoughts, and greatly appreciated!!). First of all, @kgp has done an amazing job of "front-loading" this post (section C) with all kinds of goodies to help pre-empt technical issues.

As I studied this post, a lot of the info in section C for me, didn't seem applicable (as it is ASUS-based), or just not applicable for my end-state hardware (no 10g E, QNAP, etc.). The only part that seemed applicable in my case is C.4 - TSCAdjustRest.kext build & adding to EFI folder. So my process thus far:
  1. Download Mojave installer (10.14.2) from App store using my 2017 MBP (14,3)
  2. Properly format SanDisk 16GB USB2.0 flash drive
  3. Use Terminal command-line to build Mojave installer USB drive (per instructions here)
  4. Follow instructions in C.4 to create TSCAdjustRest.kext
  5. Opened flash drive's EFI partition, and copied EFI-distribution in OP to USB EFI partition
  6. Copied TSCAdjustRest.kext to recommended location in USB's EFI folder
  7. Opened config.plist with Clover Configurator, and chose iMacPro 1,1 SMBIOS
  8. Also set npci=0x2000 [update]
  9. (my personalization) GUI CC tab > set resolution to 1280x720 (I'm old & need bigger text LOL)
  10. Boot system, and set UEFI/BIOS to recommended settings in OP > Save > Reboot
I seem to get to the place where I get a gray screen, and the mouse pointer appears in upper-left corner...then it changes quickly to spinning beachball, and finally disappears. And I'm stuck at blank gray screen. I never get the Language Selection screen...

My hardware config:
Intel i9-7920x 2.9GHz 12-core/24 thread CPU
Gigabyte X299 Designare EX motherboard
Corsair Vengeance LED DDR4 - 32GB (4x8GB)
Gigabyte AORUS RX580 GPU
Samsung 850PRO SSD - 250GB

Other things I have tried:
  • Changing SMBIOS to iMac 18,3 (due to GPU I'm using for initial build)
  • Activate/select RadeonDeInit in config,plist > Graphics (using CC)
...and I'm stuck! Thoughts?

The happiest of new years to each & everyone in Tonymacx86.com land!! And TIA for any suggestion to get me over the finish line!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back