Contribute
Register

iMac Pro X299 - Live the Future now with macOS 10.14 Mojave [Successful Build/Extended Guide]

Status
Not open for further replies.
ATI? Are we back in 2005? I've run VR off of my Vega, and at the school where I used to work, we ran VR off our Mac Pros and it worked just fine.....
Don't shoot the messenger....

BTW, did you get a chance to check out that link to the MSI Vega 64 at MicroCenter? Would love to know your thoughts on if that would be a good choice for my iMac Pro CustoMac build :)

LOL - but I **am** a video editor too BWAHAHAHAAAA!! My latest suite of projects use this camera, & hence the need for an nVidia card (the PC software for stitching & device mgmt requires minimum GTX 1080). So now that the 2 glasses of wine from dinner are wearing off, I need to actually keep the GTX 1080 for when I run the proprietary Samsung software in Windows 10 (separate SSD), and then use the Vega for my audio work. **sigh**
Well now, as an Editor, the graphics power of the Vega becomes much more important. That makes things different and a Vega, in that case, is a much better choice. The better Vega 64's are about the equal of a 1080. A Vega 56, a good one, would be close.

Which to pick? A good RX series or a Vega? Just take a look at my builds and you'll see where my bias might lie.....
Something to consider if you decide to go the VEGA path. I originally chose that RX580 from Sapphire, because it is extremely quiet. I run 3/4 monitors. I did not want an airplane buzzing in mu studio and my rig is virtually silent. I will probably upgrade in the future after AMD release their new vega 7mm GPU ( CES is around the corner ). A time to do research on the noise fans each vega 56/64 generate might be a good idea if audio is important to you and if your rig is in the same room as your speakers.
If you decide to go with the RX580. The Nitro Sapphire SE is the best choice from all RX580.

Last edited:
Don't shoot the messenger....

BTW, did you get a chance to check out that link to the MSI Vega 64 at MicroCenter? Would love to know your thoughts on if that would be a good choice for my iMac Pro CustoMac build :)

MSI is a good brand, and I doubt you'd be disappointed with that card, but that price seems a bit high.....I got one of my Sapphire Nitro 64 for $370 at Newegg on one sale, and $425 for the other on another sale.

Here's the same card at Newegg: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814137326

Something to consider if you decide to go the VEGA path. I originally chose that RX580 from Sapphire, because it is extremely quiet. I run 3/4 monitors. I did not want an airplane buzzing in mu studio and my rig is virtually silent. I will probably upgrade in the future after AMD release their new vega 7mm GPU ( CES is around the corner ). A time to do research on the noise fans each vega 56/64 generate might be a good idea is audio if important to you and if your rig is in the same room as your speakers.
If you decide to go with the RX580. The Nitro Sapphire SE is the best choice form all RX580.
Points well-taken! I'm thinking I may move the 1080 to my "PowerUp" build, leaving this (my new Studio 3.0 build) dedicated strictly for audio work. The CPU/case sits in the room below my studio, so noise is not a big factor.

I love this place...and y'all! :)

PS - ...but that HIDEOUS blue of the Nitro+ Saffire... I just can't... LOL (just joking)! :mrgreen::mrgreen:

Something to consider if you decide to go the VEGA path. I originally chose that RX580 from Sapphire, because it is extremely quiet. I run 3/4 monitors. I did not want an airplane buzzing in mu studio and my rig is virtually silent. I will probably upgrade in the future after AMD release their new vega 7mm GPU ( CES is around the corner ). A time to do research on the noise fans each vega 56/64 generate might be a good idea if audio is important to you and if your rig is in the same room as your speakers.
If you decide to go with the RX580. The Nitro Sapphire SE is the best choice form all RX580.

I never hear my Vega 64s, even under stress.....but they are Sapphires, after all.....

You can chat with @pastrychef about his MSI and the noise level - I suspect it's pretty tolerable....

So, buy a Sapphire Vega 64.....it's not blue.....or the MSI vega 64....at only $400 after rebate.....

Night all.....

I found that is possible ti replicate this kind of iussue by dropping the SSDT “A M I “ table in clover. Of course only for Asus motherboards.
I think that, as kgp said, missing a cmos reset after upgading to 1601 could break some of the ACPI table and this prevents macOS from load the xhci controller (and maybe some other device as well).
At the end was my mistake

Dear Salvatore, I have the same issue as you. Upgraded to 1603, then downgraded to 1503 but even after cmos reset no usb except the 3.1 works. Could you please detail what you did to fix it?
Also, do you have the port limit patch active or a custom kext?

Thanks

I’m thinking of buying a Asus Prime Deluxe II and retiring the Designare EX after having ram issues etc.

Anyone have this new board yet?

Edit: going to pick it up today from MicroCenter and will do the swap today.

I need to RMA the Designare and probably just throw it on eBay.

It’s sad because I liked this board but there was always some type of issue with it.

I just spent many hours testing the RAM and even tried RAM from another system and the bios keeps resetting.

Last edited:
Dear Salvatore, I have the same issue as you. Upgraded to 1603, then downgraded to 1503 but even after cmos reset no usb except the 3.1 works. Could you please detail what you did to fix it?
Also, do you have the port limit patch active or a custom kext?

Thanks

Do you have the same motherboard I have?

Anyway, I had to downgrade to 1303.
Downgrade from 1603 to 1503 didn’t fix the probem for me.

I’m thinking of buying a Asus Prime Deluxe II and retiring the Designare EX after having ram issues etc.

Anyone have this new board yet?

Edit: going to pick it up today from MicroCenter and will do the swap today.

I need to RMA the Designare and probably just throw it on eBay.

It’s sad because I liked this board but there was always some type of issue with it.

I just spent many hours testing the RAM and even tried RAM from another system and the bios keeps resetting.
Stupid question before throwing the designare. You tried swapping the cmos battery right?
Too bad you have to change the mobo. it's a good board. You probably just have a defective unit.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back