Contribute
Register

iMac Pro X299 - Live the Future now with macOS 10.14 Mojave [Successful Build/Extended Guide]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can you detail supposed instabilities on your 10.14.1 system? Based on my personal experience, already during public betas and especially with 10.14.0, Mojave was as stable as 10.13.6. It is also generally supposed, that 10.14 includes improvements when compared with High Sierra's system performance and stability.

It seems pretty stable so far, but I haven't done any "actual work" on it yet, which I will start doing starting monday...I will report back then :)

I will move Mojave as the primary OS for the next week to see if it's fully usable for actual work (at least the type of work that I do....post production & design mainly)

Reactions: kgp
It seems pretty stable so far, but I haven't done any "actual work" on it yet, which I will start doing starting monday...I will report back then :)

I will move Mojave as the primary OS for the next week to see if it's fully usable for actual work (at least the type of work that I do....post production & design mainly)

Sure.. the open question is if all 3rd party software really has been already properly adopted for Mojave. Let's see all respective experience you will gain and report in the near future.

However, I guess we agree that Mojave itself appears to be absolutely stable.

Oh by the way, is Night Shift working for you in Mojave? We have the same monitor. @kgp

It worked fine in High Sierra...but doesn't show up in Mojave.

Sure.. the open question is if all 3rd party software really has been already properly adopted for Mojave. Let's see all respective experience you will gain and report in the near future.

However, I guess we agree that Mojave itself appears to be absolutely stable.

Here's my situation, as always everyone is different.

Majority of my work day to day is in Adobe software...and in any professional environment that I work in or have worked in (this includes my peers) we only move to Adobe software when it is at least a year or two old so it's completely stable (ie CC2018 is stable)....so now Adobe has CC2019 out right after Mojave was released. No one in their right mind who does this professionally will move to CC2019 full time....maybe they will install CC2019 alongside CC2018 just to test stuff out. We also never ever do major OS updates and most of the IT teams that work for me or for my peers are always a version or two behind...but since my workstation is at home now, I am kind of my own IT person so I took the bullet and going to give Mojave a try, even with all it's issues I will eventually encounter (for my workflow that I consider issues).\

CC2019 is definitely more refined for Mojave (since CC2018 support will stop soon), but it is a .0 release and I avoid things like that like the plague. I've already seen major complaints with CC2019, which is atypical with Adobe for the last 10+ years I've been using their software.

But anyway, to make things short, I have CC2018 and did some quick things in Photoshop, Premiere and AE, but haven't really pushed the system far enough....BUT it seems fairly stable, but I won't find out once I start maxing out the CPU and overall system with renders and large files and what not.

What I noticed in Mojave (coming from High Sierra) is that the overall UI is a tad laggier than High Sierra 10.13.6, but that will be fixed by .3/.4 as Apple always refines their major releases with dot updates.

But anyway that's all I noticed (macOS UI lag compared to High Sierra)....but will find out if it's actually a usable OS for real work next week.

As always I have High Sierra clone on another SSD if I need to boot back into for zero down time. :thumbup:

Oh by the way, is Night Shift working for you in Mojave? We have the same monitor. @kgp

It worked fine in High Sierra...but doesn't show up in Mojave.

If I correctly remember, I did not even try to apply Section E.13 of my iMac Pro X299 10.13 guide under 10.14. On the other hand, there might have been a reason for skipping Section E.13 in my iMac Pro X299 10.14 guide. I do not correctly remember, as under 10.14, I use the dynamic desktop and already under 10.13 I did not use NightShift at all.

Did you try to apply Section E.13 from scratch on your 10.14 system? It might well be that the former approach fails under 10.14.

Could you please once more confirm the above?

Here's my situation, as always everyone is different.

Majority of my work day to day is in Adobe software...and in any professional environment that I work in or have worked in (this includes my peers) we only move to Adobe software when it is at least a year or two old so it's completely stable (ie CC2018 is stable)....so now Adobe has CC2019 out right after Mojave was released. No one in their right mind who does this professionally will move to CC2019 full time....maybe they will install CC2019 alongside CC2018 just to test stuff out. We also never ever do major OS updates and most of the IT teams that work for me or for my peers are always a version or two behind...but since my workstation is at home now, I am kind of my own IT person so I took the bullet and going to give Mojave a try, even with all it's issues I will eventually encounter (for my workflow that I consider issues).\

CC2019 is definitely more refined for Mojave (since CC2018 support will stop soon), but it is a .0 release and I avoid things like that like the plague. I've already seen major complaints with CC2019, which is atypical with Adobe for the last 10+ years I've been using their software.

But anyway, to make things short, I have CC2018 and did some quick things in Photoshop, Premiere and AE, but haven't really pushed the system far enough....BUT it seems fairly stable, but I won't find out once I start maxing out the CPU and overall system with renders and large files and what not.

What I noticed in Mojave (coming from High Sierra) is that the overall UI is a tad laggier than High Sierra 10.13.6, but that will be fixed by .3/.4 as Apple always refines their major releases with dot updates.

But anyway that's all I noticed (macOS UI lag compared to High Sierra)....but will find out if it's actually a usable OS for real work next week.

As always I have High Sierra clone on another SSD if I need to boot back into for zero down time. :thumbup:

Well, as I said, if Mojave is suited for everybody's work, mainly depends on everybody's 3rd party application. There are no issues with the operating system itself and I also do not witness any lag of the overall UI.

What one defines as "real work" might strongly depend on his/her profession or particular needs and requirements. I usually avoid any personal statements about 3rd party software sophistication and compatibility, which exceeds by far my responsibilities and possibilities along my iMac Pro build and MacOS installation guide development.

Last edited:
If I correctly remember, I did not even try to apply Section E.13 of my iMac Pro X299 10.13 guide under 10.14. On the other hand, there might have been a reason for skipping Section E.13 in my iMac Pro X299 10.14 guide. I do not correctly remember, as under 10.14, I use the dynamic desktop and already under 10.13 I did not use NightShift at all.

Did you try to apply Section E.13 from scratch on your 10.14 system? It might well be that the former approach fails under 10.14.

Could you please once more confirm the above?

I actually did the EFI folder from scratch this time, only keeping relevant files and config.plist settings applied to your latest one from this thread (Mojave)....so it's a very clean/lightweight config file and efi partition, as the last one I had customized was more bloated.

I can get native display brightness without a problem using MonitorControl (I think you're using that too) but NightShift is not visible as it was in High Sierra.

I can try to modify the system file in E.13 from your High Sierra guide, but would like to keep it native like it was in High Sierra...you mentioned this:

Note that the attached Display Override Profile, does not allow a LG 38UC99 Monitor Frequency of 75Hz. Only 60Hz are supported.

Also I use 75Hz so I don't want to lose that ability.
(I'm right now running at 60Hz and NS is not working)...

Going to search around to find a "native" fix.

I actually did the EFI folder from scratch this time, only keeping relevant files and config.plist settings applied to your latest one from this thread (Mojave)....so it's a very clean/lightweight config file and efi partition, as the last one I had customized was more bloated.

I can get native display brightness without a problem using MonitorControl (I think you're using that too) but NightShift is not visible as it was in High Sierra.

I can try to modify the system file in E.13 from your High Sierra guide, but would like to keep it native like it was in High Sierra...you mentioned this:

Also I use 75Hz so I don't want to lose that ability.
(I'm right now running at 60Hz and NS is not working)...

Going to search around to find a "native" fix.

Sure.. I basically referred to Section E.13 point 2) and not point 1). Your monitor.app fix for native display brightness and HDMI/DP audio volume control continues perfectly working also under 10.14 :thumbup:

BTW.. Did you already try the dynamic desktop feature of 10.14? I personally like it more than the NightShift feature, which I honestly never used at all on my system due to some screen resolution issues related with the Display Override Profile before entering the login screen.

In any case, if you want to adopt the LG38UC99 NightShift approach for 10.14, you are of course warmly welcome.

Last edited:
BTW.. Did you already try the dynamic desktop feature of 10.14? I personally like it more than the NightShift feature, which I honestly never used at all an my system.

Yeah it's not bad. I just liked NightShift for late night browsing as it warms up the white levels, and it's easier on the eyes. I guess I can live without it but would like to be able to fix it :)

I use it all the time on my MacBook Pro when I'm mobile, but for desktop it's not super necessary...

Reactions: kgp
Yeah it's not bad. I just liked NightShift for late night browsing as it warms up the white levels, and it's easier on the eyes. I guess I can live without it but would like to be able to fix it :)

I use it all the time on my MacBook Pro when I'm mobile, but for desktop it's not super necessary...

If you want to adopt the LG38UC99 NightShift approach for 10.14, you are of course warmly welcome. In this case I would add once more Section E.13 to the 10.14 guide, this time including your native display brightness and HDMI/DP audio volume control as well as NightShift approach by means of monitor.app and a modified Display Override Profile, respectively.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back