Contribute
Register

iMac Pro X299 - Live the Future now with macOS 10.14 Mojave [Successful Build/Extended Guide]

Status
Not open for further replies.
from my test (remove all XHCI.kext and reboot):

actually HS09 will be available if you set ‘Alphone Ridge XHCI WA’ - Enabled and connect your USB-C to TB3 port.
i cannot find SSP3/SSP4/HS07, so i delete them.
also i set all internal usb header to 255.

not sure i am right or not....

View attachment 384070

Did you look to the port-layout.pdf implemented in AsEvil-iMacPro-ASUS-PX299D2-XHCI.kext and AsEvil-iMacPro-ASUS-PX299D2-XHCI-15port.kext of the Github library? Then you know which connectors or headers you disable by removing respective HS and SSP ports.

Actually it makes no sense to only remove SSP3 and SSP4, but leave HS03 and HS04. This implies that internal USB3.0 header U31G1-34 would still work with USB2.0 devices but would not support USB3.0 devices. You should entirely disable U31G1-34, if not in use, which implies to remove HS03/SSP3 and HS04/SSP4! Or, as actually implemented by myself, to just implement HS03/SSP3. In the latter case U31G1-34 still allows to use 1 respective front-panel USB3.0 connector and ensures it's backwards comatibitlity to USB2.0. Else one could also just implement SSP3 and SSP4 and else drop HS03 and HS04 by allowing U31G1-34 to fully support USB3.0 devices in the two respective USB3.0 front panel connectors, without providing backwards compatibility with USB2.0

BTW.. to find the association of SSP3 and SSP4, you need to change your USB3.0 front panel connectors from internal USB 3.0 header U31G1-12 to internal USB 3.0 header U31G1-34.

It might well be that HS09 and HS10 are assigned to the two onboard TTR ports for USB2.0 backwards compatibility. But does one really need backwards compatibly of these ports with USB2.0? I guess we can easily drop HS09 and HS10 from the kext.

Last edited:
@AsEvil, @applemacosxGOD ,

based on the recent findings by @applemacosxGOD concerning HS09 and the respective TTR port something weird comes to my mind...

Could it be that the two TTR ports are assigned to HS09/SSP7 and HS10/SSP8? You should check on that to totally exclude the latter, although as already proven by @applemacosxGOD, a USB3.0 Type-C device actually shows up in the TB ACPI tree under DSB2 as expected, when connected at boot..

Anyway, already the fact that the two TTR ridge ports are connected with HS09 and HS10 might imply small necessary changes within SSDT-X299-TB3HP.aml in addition.

Last edited:
Did you look to the port-layout.pdf implemented in AsEvil-iMacPro-ASUS-PX299D2-XHCI.kext and AsEvil-iMacPro-ASUS-PX299D2-XHCI-15port.kext of the Github library? Then you know which connectors or headers you disable by removing respective HS and SSP ports.

Actually it makes no sense to only remove SSP3 and SSP4, but leave HS03 and HS04. This implies that internal USB3.0 header U31G1-34 would still work with USB2.0 devices but would not support USB3.0 devices. You should entirely disable U31G1-34, if not in use, which implies to remove HS03/SSP3 and HS04/SSP4! Or, as actually implemented by myself, to just implement HS03/SSP3. In the latter case U31G1-34 still allows to use 1 respective front-panel USB3.0 connector and ensures it's backwards comatibitlity to USB2.0. Else one could also just implement SSP3 and SSP4 and else drop HS03 and HS04 by allowing U31G1-34 to fully support USB3.0 devices in the two respective USB3.0 front panel connectors, without providing backwards compatibility with USB2.0

BTW.. to find the association of SSP3 and SSP4, you need to change your USB3.0 front panel connectors from internal USB 3.0 header U31G1-12 to internal USB 3.0 header U31G1-34.

It might well be that HS09 and HS10 are assigned to the two onboard TTR ports for USB2.0 backwards compatibility. But does one really need backwards compatibly of these ports with USB2.0? I guess we can easily drop HS09 and HS10 from the kext.

both HS03/HS04 support usb2.0 and usb3.0 from testing.
all internal header were tested with usb 2.0 and usb 3.0 drives.

both HS03/HS04 support usb2.0 and usb3.0 from testing.
all internal header were tested with usb 2.0 and usb 3.0 drives.

HS03 and HS04 cannot support USB3.0 devices by definition. HSxx ports allow USB2.0 support only and SSPx ports USB3.0 support only!

USB2.0 devices should show up under HS03 and HS04 and USB3.0 devices under SSP3 and SSP4 by definition! That's why HS03/SSP3 and HS04/SSP4 are assigned to the internal USB.3.0 U31G1-34. SSP3 ensures USB3.0 support of one USB3.0 front panel connector connected with U31G1-34 and HS03 its backwards compatibly with USB2.0 devices. SSP4 ensures USB3.0 support of the other USB3.0 front panel connector connected with U31G1-34 and HS04 its backwards compatibly with USB2.0 devices. This further implies, that when connecting a USB3.0 devices with each USB3.0 front panel connector connected to internal header U31G1-34, it should either pop up under SSP3 or SSP4 but when connecting a USB2.0 devices with each USB3.0 front panel connector connected to internal header U31G1-34, it should either pop up under HS03 or HS04, always provided that HS03/SSP3 and HS04/SSP4 are part of the kext of course.

The same states for U31G1-21 and HS01/SSP1 and HS02/SSP2!

Last edited:
@applemacosxGOD, does attached SSDT-X299-TB3HP.aml now enables also USB-C HotPlug without any USB-C device connected at boot?

I removed the HS port implementation in the TB-SSDT under XHC5 as both TTR ports, following your recent results, seem connected to HS09 and HS10 of XHCI anyway.. Always provided that the SSP ports of the TTR ports are not assigned to SSP7 and SSP8 of XHCI, the SSPx port implementation under XHC5 is still part of the TB-SSDT attached.

If your findings for HS09 and HS10 under XHCI to be assigned with the two TTR ports are also confirmed by @AsEvil, we have to modify once more the fully implemented XHC USB kext for the ASUS Prime X299 Deluxe II already part of the XHC UBS kext Github library and also add HS09 (9) and HS10 (9) for completeness. However, as mentioned above, there is not need to consider these to ports in the truncated 15-port XHC USB kext, as USB2.0 backwards compatible is certainly not required for both TTR ports.

Attachments

• SSDT-X299-TB3HP.aml.zip
    1.8 KB · Views: 94
Last edited:
HS03 and HS04 cannot support USB3.0 devices by definition. HSxx ports allow USB2.0 support only and SSPx ports USB3.0 support only!

USB2.0 devices should show up under HS03 and HS04 and USB3.0 devices under SSP3 and SSP4 by definition! That's why HS03/SSP3 and HS04/SSP4 are assigned to the internal USB.3.0 U31G1-34. SSP3 ensures USB3.0 support of one USB3.0 front panel connector connected with U31G1-34 and HS03 its backwards compatibly with USB2.0 devices. SSP4 ensures USB3.0 support of the other USB3.0 front panel connector connected with U31G1-34 and HS04 its backwards compatibly with USB2.0 devices. This further implies, that when connecting a USB3.0 devices with each USB3.0 front panel connector connected to internal header U31G1-34, it should either pop up under SSP3 or SSP4 but when connecting a USB2.0 devices with each USB3.0 front panel connector connected to internal header U31G1-34, it should either pop up under HS03 or HS04, always provided that HS03/SSP3 and HS04/SSP4 are part of the kext of course.

The same states for U31G1-21 and HS01/SSP1 and HS02/SSP2!

omg....it was caused by the bad bad boy - 2 Port USB 3.0 PCI Header Cable

after i changed the header cable, i can see usb3.0 in ssp3/ssp4 now....so faint.

Reactions: kgp
@applemacosxGOD, does attached SSDT-X299-TB3HP.aml now enables also USB-C HotPlug without any USB-C device connected at boot?

I removed the HS port implementation in the TB-SSDT under XHC5 as both TTR ports, following your recent results, seem connected to HS09 and HS10 of XHCI anyway.. Always provided that the SSP ports of the TTR ports are not assigned to SSP7 and SSP8 of XHCI, the SSPx port implementation under XHC5 is still part of the TB-SSDT attached.

If your findings for HS09 and HS10 under XHCI to be assigned with the two TTR ports are also confirmed by @AsEvil, we have to modify once more the fully implemented XHC USB kext for the ASUS Prime X299 Deluxe II already part of the XHC UBS kext Github library and also add HS09 (9) and HS10 (9) for completeness. However, as mentioned above, there is not need to consider these to ports in the truncated 15-port XHC USB kext, as USB2.0 backwards compatible is certainly not required for both TTR ports.

wait a min, let me test it now.

wait a min, let me test it now.

I guess there will not be significant changes though...

Could you do me another favour just to ensure that everything now is correctly implemented

Remove TB-SSDT from EFI-Folder, enable 10.13.6 USB port limit patch in your config.plist and boot your system with the Test XHC USB kext attached below.

Then check if a USB2.0 device with a Type-C adapter connected to each of the TTR ports still pops up under HS09 and HS10 of XHCI, respectively and confirm that a USB3.0 Type-C device connected to each of the TTR ports does not pop-up under SSP7 or SSP8 in this case.

Could you please do this additional test for me?

Thanks in advance.

EDIT: Actually I still don't understand how you can connect a USB2.0 Type-A device without Type-C adapter to each of the two TTR ports and claim that the two latter ports are connected with HS09 and HS10 of XHCI in this case..

Attachments

• AsEvil-iMacPro-ASUS-PX299D2-XHCI-test.kext.zip
    1.1 MB · Views: 75
Last edited:
I guess there will not be significant changes though...

Could you do me another favour just to ensure that everything now is correctly implemented

Remove TB-SSDT from EFI-Folder, enable 10.13.6 USB port limit patch in your config.plist and boot your system with the Test XHC USB kext attached below.

Then check if a USB2.0 device with a Type-C adapter connected to each of the TTR ports still pops up under HS09 and HS10 of XHCI, respectively and confirm that a USB3.0 Type-C device connected to each of the TTR ports does not pop-up under SSP7 or SSP8 in this case.

Could you please do this additional test for me?

Thanks in advance.

EDIT: Actually I still don't understand how you can connect a USB2.0 Type-A device without Type-C adapter to each of the two TTR ports and claim that the two latter ports are connected with HS09 and HS10 of XHCI in this case..

Alphone Ridge XHCI WA - Enabled or Disabled

i only have one Sandisk Type-C USB3.1 Gen1 drive. drive pop-up under RP05/PXSX/TBTD/HS03&HS04.

Screen Shot 2019-02-01 at 10.25.11 PM.png

Alphone Ridge XHCI WA - Enabled or Disabled

i only have one Sandisk Type-C USB3.1 Gen1 drive. drive pop-up under RP05/PXSX/TBTD/HS03&HS04.

View attachment 384092

This is getting more an more confusing o_O...

Then please why you stated before?:

from my test (remove all XHCI.kext and reboot):

actually HS09 will be available if you set ‘Alphone Ridge XHCI WA’ - Enabled and connect your USB-C to TB3 port.

and what for are we doing all the above tests then o_O Thus, can you at least now confirm that the TTR ports are not related with HS09 and HS10 of PCI0.XHCI ????

Note that the XHC USB kexts only implement all HS/SS ports under PCI0.XHCI !!!!

Why do you have now suddenly 4 HS ports (HS01 to HS04) and XHCI in the TB ACPI tree under TBTD???? And apparently you also do not use any TB-SSDT, as nothing of it is implemented. In the IOREG save you sent my originally, TPTD was not at all populated. And now there is suddenly another XHCI device and even 4 HS ports, which makes no sense at all as you are connecting a USB3.1 device, which should be therefore connected under some respective but apparently not even implemented SS port.

However when using SSDT-X299-TB3HP.aml you have the expected two HS and two SS port implementation under DSB2 and XHC5, don't you?

Please clarify..

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back